Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New dewalt drill and impact driver

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
    Here's some info on the totally BS 2000 charges or 5 years from Milwaukee V28 batteries. NO way will they really do that.

http://www.milwaukeetool.com/us/en/n...E?OpenDocument
    I'd really love to see the answer someone gets trying to warranty a 5 year old dead battery considering most batteries don't last that long anyway. Li-ion deteriorates at about 20% per year as it is which means in 5 years they will be largely unusable regardless or their cycle count.

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
      Here's some info on the totally BS 2000 charges or 5 years from Milwaukee V28 batteries. NO way will they really do that.

http://www.milwaukeetool.com/us/en/n...E?OpenDocument
      Originally posted by Velosapien View Post
      Thay all claim a higher cycle life but none will ever really give any hard numbers. 5000 sounds too ridiculous to even be remotely believable. The thing is there aren't that many lithium manufacturers out there. I bet that if you pop open Makita, Milwaukee, Bosch, or most other battery packs up you'll find most of them use exactly the same cells lwhich makes all those claims bunk. Sony makes lithium ion cells for just about anyone who uses them so I wouldn't doubt they or some licensed version of, power most other brands. Anybody wanna rip open their battery pack?
      I don't get it guys. What's not to believe? Regardless, they're the ones backing up their warranty (and whatever claims that are made on it). According to Toolmonger http://toolmonger.com/2006/06/28/pre...cordless-line/
      they claim that Milwaukee has electronics in the battery that counts the number of times the battery is charged. It'll be interesting if someone out there in the real world does hit the magic 5000 cycles.

If you want to read up on the technology that Milwaukee is using, hit the manufacturer's website.
      http://www.molienergy.com/Press%20Re...ease040117.htm

I don't own any of the Milwaukee lithium, but I really like their tools. I don't think it's as good as the pre-TTI stuff, but it's still pretty good compared to what's on the market.

Comment

Velosapien

Didn't you see where people blasted off about that Milwaukee being now part of TTI refuses to honor warranty claims? The people blasting off on this forum stated that their way is about like this. "If it worked when it was new and then quit after a week, YOU broke the tool so *** you." Several people were howling about it. Now I remember all too well before the evil greedy **** of TTI came along when Milwaukee did the right thing and took care of their customers. Back then they would not make claims of 2000 cycles per battery.

With the above put to rest, I'll gladly still buy old stock corded Milwaukee tools that are mostly USA inside and out. They are good tools. There still is some NOS that were pre TTI tools just waiting to be put into use.
        Last edited by Woussko; 09-11-2007, 11:37 PM.

Comment

Yeah I remember that actually. It would be great if they stand by their word but the skeptic in me has a hard time believing they won't come up with any excuse to not honor such an ambitous warranty. 5 years on a battery is pretty much a lifetime warranty since like I said, everbody knows that while not impossible, it is still rare for a battery to still function past 5 years, and if they do they will be seriously degraded condition.

Comment

I think if you read the fine print on the Milwaukee warranty, after 2 years they do some sort of prorating scheme where you pay a portion of the replacement or repair cost. I might be a little off on that, but I do remember that it's not exactly the 5 years they print on the box.

Comment

yeah it's like a car battery... 2 years free replacement, 5 years pro-rated

Comment

http://www.dewalt.com/nano/index.html

The new groups are officially out. Nothing new in the 36v department. The 28v is pretty much a 28v carbon copy of the 36v stuff. The 18v new tools aren't shown yet other than the battery. Interestingly enough they have a chart comparing the cycle life with their yellow bar at 2000, a blue one at 600 and a red one at 400. I wonder who the blue and red bars represent?

edit: Looks like the new 18v is showing properly now.
                Last edited by Velosapien; 09-24-2007, 07:53 PM.

Comment

So, Velosapien, are you feeling the power of Nano? LOL

Yeah it's an interesting new section. Looking through the 18V drill specs, notice that they backed the power off on the DC927 to 425UWO from 510UWO (DC925)?

Still not sure what the point of 28V is, but I guess it could be a good idea. At least now they are competing with everybody 18V (Makita) 28V (Milwaukee) and 36V (Bosch, Hilti).

Comment

I think the 28V will be the new bread and butter like like the 18V was

Comment

Interestingly enough it seems like the DC927 is going to be a step back. 5.5lbs, 425UWO and max speed reduced to 1800rpm which means probably decreased hammerdrilling performance. The DC925 is claimed at 6.1lbs with the Nicd. With the Li-ion battery which is a pound lighter it should be about 5.1 lbs with 510UWO and 2000rpm max. These are just numbers on paper though so real world performance could be identical to the DC925. The impact driver looks is exactly the same length as the Makita although still a bit heavy at 3.7 lbs. I can't tell if the new nano battery is the same size but if it is they will also be a fair bit larger than Makita's. There really doesn't seem to be much of a purpose for the 28v group. Particularly when the price gap between 18 to 36v is shrinking. They are clearly trying to cover every corner of the competition as it's obvious these new groups are aimed squarely at competing with Makita and Milwaukee, with the 36v thrown in for good measure. I do agree the 28v has the potential to become the new bread and butter. A little lighter and more managable than the 36v with performance which should be quite close.

Comment

It could be more widely accepted. But with the power that those 36V batteries can put out, there are some huge opportunities for corded replacements where 28V will still be limited. You can probably tell that I want to see more 36V tools

For the 18V decline in power and RPM, I'm thinking it's a marketing thing. They don't want it to compete too much with the 28V, where the DC925 is closer in power, and as you pointed out, geared higher at the top end which can give it a bit of a speed advantage in some tasks. So I wonder if they will keep the 925 in their lineup.....good question.

If the battery is shorter in length (which it looks, but I could be wrong), then it might not fit the existing 18V tools too well. The tower part might snap in, but the base of the battery mount will extend over the ends of the battery wouldn't it? There's another thing TBD.

Originally posted by Velosapien View Post
                        Interestingly enough it seems like the DC927 is going to be a step back. 5.5lbs, 425UWO and max speed reduced to 1800rpm which means probably decreased hammerdrilling performance. The DC925 is claimed at 6.1lbs with the Nicd. With the Li-ion battery which is a pound lighter it should be about 5.1 lbs with 510UWO and 2000rpm max. These are just numbers on paper though so real world performance could be identical to the DC925. The impact driver looks is exactly the same length as the Makita although still a bit heavy at 3.7 lbs. I can't tell if the new nano battery is the same size but if it is they will also be a fair bit larger than Makita's. There really doesn't seem to be much of a purpose for the 28v group. Particularly when the price gap between 18 to 36v is shrinking. They are clearly trying to cover every corner of the competition as it's obvious these new groups are aimed squarely at competing with Makita and Milwaukee, with the 36v thrown in for good measure. I do agree the 28v has the potential to become the new bread and butter. A little lighter and more managable than the 36v with performance which should be quite close.

Comment

With Black & Decker owning Dewalt and Porter-Cable along with other companies, I wonder why they don't try leaving well enough alone at Dewalt and if they just have to do it, make a new line of Porter-Cable 28 Volt cordless tools. I have a bad feeling that in 5 years there may not be must left of P-C other than a few of their top selling woodworking power tools. The rest will be changed over to Yellow and Black under the Dewalt name.

Comment

I don't think Porter Cable will ever be getting a new cordless group. I wouldn't be surprised if they drop their cordless line soon. The way things are shaping out it looks like PC will be left as a dedicated woodworking brand. Its kind of anyones guess where they are going to go. Right now PC and Dewalt are taking the better version of each ones tools and standardizing it among both brands with some minor features added or taken to differentiate them.

Comment

Porter Cable have some nice niche tools. Compressors, nail guns, woodworking stuff. True their cordless stuff doesn't seem to be their main thing. But a while ago they used to have this 19.2V router, which was pretty cool. Don't know if they still make that or not. But it was an interesting idea.

Also, on the DeWalt Nano stuff, I noticed that they got rid of the keyless blade change on the 28V circular saw. I have to say that's a good thing. Like most of these reviews say, it's more of a pain in the a** than a real help. The little lever that slides out is spring loaded and always wants to pull back in, so you're always fighting that, and it's not long enough to get enough leverage to tighten the nut without being uncomfortable on your fingers.

Actually it must be possible to replace the keyless nut on the 36V with the regular hex key type nut. I'm going to look into that.

Comment

Sorry, I don't believe DW's website or DW for anything they say about other companies. They should just give their products advantages and not throw mud..and mud that is totally off. It is common knowledge that the Makita Lithium gets 1800 charges and that it can charge in 45 minutes. Dewalt is known for skewing numbers. Dewalt is behind in the game since Milwaukee, Makita, Ridgid, and Ryobi all have Lithium. Dewalt has to sling mud to make up for lost ground. Believe what you want but I won't believe the kings of marketing Black and Decker.

Comment

Working...
                                X