Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New dewalt drill and impact driver

Long time lurker, first time poster... just got a flyer and wanted to share

Re: New dewalt drill and impact driver

Cool! The new impact looks sweet! I think my Makita LXT impact driver will be finding its way to ebay very soon.

Comment

I think I will give my old dewalt impact driver away and pick up this one as well. I have always liked the makita LXT impact driver much more than my dewalt because it was so compact... plus this new one will come with the new battery packs! sweet

The drill doesn't look much different though. Looks like you can switch from driving to drilling or hammering without upsetting the clutch settings on this one, but i never use the clutch settings anyways so it does not matter to me.

Comment

I replaced the Dewalt 18v kit with a Makita LXT group but that didn't last too long. The Makita tools are pretty wimpy and I ended up going back to most of the Dewalt tools. The impact driver is the only tool I still use regularly because it was much better and smaller than the Dewalt. The drawback is I now have to keep yet another charger and set of batteries. If I can get a Dewalt impact driver than can match the Makita I can go back to only needing one set of 18v batteries and charger which would be fantastic.
        The drill looks like its the 18v DC925 merged with the 36v drill clutch system that allows for switching to drilling and driving without having to jump through all the clutch settings. The new batteries look much smaller too, about the same as the 14.4v nicads. I really hope these batteries charge fast though. It was quite nice that the Makita batteries charge in 22 minutes with the new charger.

Comment

Wow, the new DeWalts look nice! Where did this "flyer" come from? Any spec's? Does this flyer show pictures of the new "compact" cordless and "improved" impact wrenches that are currently on the "press release" part of the dewalt.com?

http://www.dewalt.com/us/service/com...ssreleases.asp

I spoke with a DeWalt rep 2 or so weeks ago, and the end of 2007 & beginning of 2008 is supposed to be very exciting for fans of DeWalt cordless tools!

Comment

Wow, great find and post!

This is a good move on DeWalt's part because most of their 18V line is very good already, they just needed to fine-tune a few things like the impact driver. It looks like they took a few tips from Makita & Hitachi and decided to get with the times in terms of size.

The drill actually looks more like the current 12V/14.4V NiCad due to the smaller battery size. Should also reduce the weight a fair bit if the drill itself stays around the same weight. It's hard to believe the DC925 has been out for over a year now!

I too got the Makita impact/compact drill set a while ago, the set with the 1.5AH batteries. Very nice tools and the impact with the small battery is freakin' amazingly light and small. Best I've used so far. The drill has turned out to be surprisingly useful as well. Because of the small size and fine torque settings, it's almost as versatile as a cordless screwdriver. But other that that, I have no interest in the LXT line of tools.

It will be interesting to see how fast the DeWalt Li Ions charge too.

Comment

Lol! I hope they make no changes to the 36v line. I'm going to be furious if they come out with all new and imprived versions now that I just started investing in them!

Comment

I doubt that you see anything like 22 minutes on the Dewalt charging. THe kool-aid that DW is using for the batteries is different than Makita, Bosch, and Miligidobi. Seems that someone from DW told us that 1hr was the best could do to get the cycle lifes up to 2000+. Anything under 1hr and the cycles went south.

correct me if I am wrong but the Makita doesn't offer a 2000 cycle warranty right?

Nice score on that flyer.

Comment

Actually that I know of, Dewalt is the only one making any sort of claim on cycle life. Thats actually a bit interesting, and its not just the powertool market, but in general everyone who uses lithium-ion batteries is very hush hush about the actual cycle life of their products and for good reason. Lithium Ion has quite a lower cycle life than nicad and nimh. About 400 to 500cycles vs about 800 for nicad. It does make sense that they will need a slower charge rate to extend the cycle life and possibly achieve a better balanced charge accross all the cells. Originally when DeWalt anounced they were working on lithium ion with A123 Systems they were claiming up to 90% charge in the first 5 minutes and full charge within the hour. Clearly they ended up dropping that, probably in exchange for higher cycle life and less percieved product failure and warranty calls.

Comment

Wasnt milwaukee advertising something crazy like 5000 cycles? I know the V28 packs carry a long warranty

Comment

Arrrrrg, that would suck! LOL I guess that's the nature of the business. It's just like computer technology. Next year they have something better and faster for half the price you paid.

It's hard to say though. So far the 36V tools have been a lot slower coming than the 18's. Which is to be expected because 18V probably outsells 28V and higher by quite a bit.

Originally posted by Velosapien View Post
                      Lol! I hope they make no changes to the 36v line. I'm going to be furious if they come out with all new and imprived versions now that I just started investing in them!

Comment

If you go to the DeWalt site and then to the "Battery Technology" section they recently put up, they list some cycle life comparisons. They don't name names, but the colors are pretty obvious LOL So assuming they are talking about Milwaukee, the number of cycles that they claim that lithium manganese gets is pretty low (I think the guy says 400 cycles). A lot lower than Milwaukee was advertising before.

Now..... this is according to DeWalt LOL I'm sure that if Milwaukee had a battery technology thing like this, they would claim that DeWalt only has 400 cycles and their batteries can do 10,000 or something.

Originally posted by donutboy View Post
                        I doubt that you see anything like 22 minutes on the Dewalt charging. THe kool-aid that DW is using for the batteries is different than Makita, Bosch, and Miligidobi. Seems that someone from DW told us that 1hr was the best could do to get the cycle lifes up to 2000+. Anything under 1hr and the cycles went south.

correct me if I am wrong but the Makita doesn't offer a 2000 cycle warranty right?

Nice score on that flyer.

Comment

Thay all claim a higher cycle life but none will ever really give any hard numbers. 5000 sounds too ridiculous to even be remotely believable. The thing is there aren't that many lithium manufacturers out there. I bet that if you pop open Makita, Milwaukee, Bosch, or most other battery packs up you'll find most of them use the same brand cells which makes all those claims bunk. Sony makes lithium ion cells for just about anyone who uses them so I wouldn't doubt they or some licensed version of, power most other brands. Anybody wanna rip open their battery pack?

Edit: Seems that's exactly the case. Makita is using Sony cells. Sony was apparently the first to get to the market cells suitable for powertool use so its very likely anyone who started making li-ion tools around the same time as Makita is almost certainyl using the same Sony batteries. I'm trying to find out who Milwaukee is using since they supposedly did their own research.
                          Last edited by Velosapien; 09-12-2007, 12:28 AM.

Comment

Here's some info on the totally BS 2000 charges or 5 years from Milwaukee V28 batteries. NO way will they really do that.

http://www.milwaukeetool.com/us/en/n...E?OpenDocument
                            Last edited by Woussko; 09-11-2007, 11:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sceeter W Wheels View Post
                              If you go to the DeWalt site and then to the "Battery Technology" section they recently put up, they list some cycle life comparisons. They don't name names, but the colors are pretty obvious LOL So assuming they are talking about Milwaukee, the number of cycles that they claim that lithium manganese gets is pretty low (I think the guy says 400 cycles). A lot lower than Milwaukee was advertising before.

Now..... this is according to DeWalt LOL I'm sure that if Milwaukee had a battery technology thing like this, they would claim that DeWalt only has 400 cycles and their batteries can do 10,000 or something.
                              Something that needs to be considered is the cycle life is a universal problem. It applies to lithium ion used for phones, laptops, music players, you name it. Power tool manufacturers didn't stumble upon the magic formula to make them last longer. They spin numbers differently. If someone came up with a battery that had such a ridiculously high cycle life, you can bet the likes of Dell, Apple, and and countless others would be all over that if it means they could save millions upon millions of device service calls and warranty due to exhausted cells.

Comment

Working...
                              X