X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid Drill Press Model 1550 Question

Howdy! Just picked up the 1550 at Home Depot. It was the floor model and I got it for $139!!

Here's the problem though, it didnt come with a key for the chuck. I looked on-line for it and found that it will cost $8 for Ridgid to ship me the $4 part?

Are there any other ways to get a key for this chuck?

thanks!

HB

Re: Ridgid Drill Press Model 1550 Question

Don't know for sure whether or not HD sells them but you can find after market chuck keys at most hardware stores.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

hb2u

If you can't find it at a good hardware store, please post the diameter of the 3 holes in the chuck body. You can use the shank end of twist drills for this. I think you'll most likely need a K4 chuck key. Is the chuck mounted to the spindle or still loose? If loose be sure to take it with you to help match up the key. Also, look in your yellow pages under Industrial Supplies as that's more the right place for check keys.

Comment

Thanks for the quick response fellas. The chuck is mounted to the spindle. I'll have to see if I can remove it and take it with me. That was my big concern - trying to figure out which key to get so that it's sized properly. There's still a couple of good hardware stores around here that may have it.

Thanks again.

HB

Comment

WAIT

You don't have to remove the chuck. With the chuck being a press fit on a tapered spindle, it takes some special tools and doing to remove it and not do damage.

Just find the exact size of the 3 holes the key pin fits into and I can tell you the key you'll want. Also, see if there's a brand name on the chuck.

Let's try to make this as easy as we can for you. I have a chart and also lots of keys around so I can measure them as needed.

I messed up below. I think the K3 will be more the right size chuck key. The K4 is a big one for 3/4" chucks mostly.
          Last edited by Woussko; 09-11-2007, 04:51 PM.

Comment

I just wanted to congratulate you on your purchase. What a great bargain, $139. Good luck with it.
            No, the half of the missing finger was not power tool related.

Comment

Just call Ridgid customer service. Tell them the product was missing the key for the chuck. They should send it to you. I've gotten many such items usually within a week or two of the telephone request for whatever it is.
              there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Thanks for all the info guys. The holes that the chuck fits into are 5/16ths.

HD didn';t have any that large.

I'm going to give Ridgid a call.

Thanks again for all of your help. I really appreciate it.

HB

Comment

Working...
                X