Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cordless circular saw review: Tools of the Trade

http://www.toolsofthetrade.net/indus...ticleID=571677

Goes over some of the new lithium ion models such as Bosch and DeWalt 36V Some not so great comments on the DeWalt (despite it coming in second in the power test behind the Hilti), and the Bosch is named as the overall winner.
    Last edited by Sceeter W Wheels; 09-18-2007, 07:13 PM.

Re: Cordless circular saw review: Tools of the Trade

Well I think the comments need to be put in perspective. The Dewalt got put down for some relatively minor things like having poor balance. It is true to some degree but I think most people can live with that with little problem. They should have redesigned that saw rather than copying the old 18v body to something a little more modern. The battery life while not the best either is still quite amazing. It will never be able to match the 6 1/2" saws in runtime because moving the 7 1/4 blade will always drain more out of the motor. The fact that it was still the fastest saw is a pretty big deal though. There is no way anything will beat the Hilti in runtime with that 36v 3.3ah monster battery. I also found the Makita review quite accurate. Its a very nicely balanced saw for light cutting and trimming. I only wish they would have done a more thorough battery test. Basing results of a single charge is usually not very accurate. I would have prefered if they averaged at least 3 charges, preferably with a different battery for each run.

Comment

The author is all over bashing the DeWalt to the point where it distracts him from commenting on where it placed in his "power test". Did you notice that? You have to refer to his little table to see where it landed in his tests. According to that, it's no 2 behind the Hilti.

Now as far as this stalling and reserve torque business, the DeWalt does have a slight quirk (but once you understand it, it makes sense) - it's that the battery protection will kick in beyond a certain point of overload. It's not that the tool doesn't have the power, but in some situations where the blade binds up the battery will actually cut out the power instead of pushing the balls to the wall.

The advantage is that you literally cannot burn out the motors on the 36V tools whatsoever. Any sort of stall situation is protected and you are pretty much guaranteed that you are treating the motor and battery well. The disadvantage is that once in a while you wish it would override that protection for just a moment to push through that really tough bind. But usually it's not an issue. That's the only respect I find the DeWalt doesn't behave quite like a corded saw. A corded will fight to the end even if it means burning itself out or tripping the circuit.

I have a feeling that the Bosch 36 and Milw V28 don't bother with that protection scheme and will let the motor do what it has to at all cost. That might be a slight advantage to those saws in some situations.

But as far as heavy loads? I've done some fun tests with it. Such as stacking up about 2 1/2" of OSB and ripping through it at full blade depth. I didn't time it super accurately, but it cut through about 4 feet of that in something like 15-20 second range and handled it very well, and cut smoothly. In fact I thought that was a bit of an unfair test to put on a sidewinder type saw.

Comment

I have the 18 volt DeWalt and don't care for the trigger saftey on it. It looks like the 36 volt is made the same way. Other than that it is a good saw.
        SSG, U.S. Army
        Retired
        K.I.S.S., R.T.F.M.

Comment

All of them actually have an almost identical trigger safety system.

Comment

Here's a side by side comparison of the tools:

http://reviews.ebay.co.uk/DeWAL-T-36...00000000841666

I guess the 36V is similar in shape to the 18. I didn't think it was but when you look at them they seem close.

I actually like the way the saw is, it's pretty easy to see the cut line from either side, and never did like the Milwaukee cordless for example because it has the "high back" feel to it and is harder to see what the blade is doing. I prefer to have the saw lower as it gives more control. The reviewer in that article has a point about the safety switch, it could be a little easier to use, but you get used to it. Again, pretty minor things to pick on.

At the end of the article he picks the Hilti as the one saw that could be used interchangeably as a framing saw (yet he also claims it can stall if pushed hard). Yet the Bosch is the overall winner (yet fell below the DeWalt in overall power according to the test).

ahhhh magazine reviews, gotta love 'em

Comment

Most of the 36v and 18v tools are actually identical in size and design. Only the slightly larger battery makes them look a little larger as well as the larger blade housing on the circ saw. The only real difference is the 36v have large rubber coated grip surfaces.

Comment

It's strange that the Bosch 36v stuff isn't on their website yet, except for the drill and rotary hammer. Is the saw even available yet?

Comment

Working...
                X