• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ridgid flashlight questions

Originally posted by killavolt View Post
    I wonder if you could use something like this:

http://www.ledsupply.com/docs/7027_Datasheet.pdf

It has in input voltage up to 28V and measures 0.38" x 0.75" (9.7mm x 19mm). It costs about $13.00.
    I don't know. Seems like there's some chance of screwing something up, as it looks like I'd need to buy the parts individually, and then solder and manufacture the item myself. Not that I don't mind making stuff, but with something like this, I'd rather have the preciseness that a factory-made finished-item would have - I myself would want a tight, focused, bright beam of light, from an LED that I wouldn't have to worry about failing or breaking apart.

Comment

The imput voltage has nothing to do with the output Voltage.

Its 12V at the bulb so any 12V bulb will do.

I will take detail pictures of my retrofit and post them once im done.

and even if Im over voltage when im done all I have to do is add a resistor.

The package is comming from H-K so It might be 2 weeks before I do this MOD...

I even MOD my cars out with LED's

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/1699433

So A flashlight shouldn't be easy as pie.

Comment

Originally posted by Tucson View Post
        The imput voltage has nothing to do with the output Voltage.

Its 12V at the bulb so any 12V bulb will do.

I will take detail pictures of my retrofit and post them once im done.

and even if Im over voltage when im done all I have to do is add a resistor.

The package is comming from H-K so It might be 2 weeks before I do this MOD...

I even MOD my cars out with LED's

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/1699433

So A flashlight shouldn't be easy as pie.
        Well, you almost had me convinced, until I saw what you did to a Hyundai. I'm sorry, but this kind of "pimp-my-ride" kind of stuff is just ridiculous. I still don't understand why people do this - to spend thousands and thousands of dollars to make a car "better" through customization, rather than just using that money to buy a better vehicle to begin with. I mean, come on, it's a Hyundai Tucson - do you really need a radar detector?

Comment

The whole idea of customizing is to make it your own work of art, technical and mechanical design included. Customizing is a billion dollar industry and even the pros from detroit to europe have their "one of a kind" project cars that enable them to showcase ideas and get public reaction. Getting back to the LED conversion, I did try the "toolstar" made by terralux and the two I bought were junk. I requested several LED manufacturers to make a single high power LED unit that would fit the many cordless tool/work lights in use, so far no one has stepped up. Two of the representatives told me by e-mail that heat was a problem? I know Craftsman and Ingersoll Rand both offer 18 or 19volt LED worklights. Maybe they use circuitry that reduces the voltage to the LED cluster? I think LED is the future of all lighting and it is wasteful and costly for us to keep buying incandescent bulbs made by DeWalt for our Ridgid tool lights. Just wanted to add that I checked the voltage at the bulb socket and it was identical to that of the battery, there is no reduction circuitry in our tool lights.
          Last edited by Frankiarmz; 02-23-2009, 04:38 PM.

Comment

Frankiarmtz, I think the problems are in the types of LEDs we are looking at.
            The Luxeon types from 1W to 5W do indeed generate a lot of heat and require serious heat sinking.

Even the slick 1,3,5 watt type flashlights using the 3.6v batteries develope a lot of heat. they rely upon the flashlight body to dissipate that heat.

The various LED type work lamps are using the smaller white bright LED in large numbers. they are numbered to reduce the required regulation circuits.

Quite often you'll see a 6 or more LED flashlight using AAA batteries. Personally I do not care for that design as AA batteries will last longer but in many cases the AAA type batteries are used due to size deign limits of the specific flashlight

I do prefer the luxeon style LED as it provides a better brighter light.

How are you installing them in a Ridgid flashlight? As the lamp socket size is not the off the shelf lamp size?
            It would have been really clever if Ridgid used a socket configuration similar to auto lamps..either the wedge style or the 1156 socket size. Then locating a LED replacement lamp would be simply a trip to a well stocked auto supply store.

Keep us informed on your progress.

For now I have not pursued the LED project as I am knee deep in other projects and I don't have the time or patience right now to redesign a pretty good incandescent flashlight

Cactus Man

Comment

Originally posted by cactusman View Post
              Frankiarmtz, I think the problems are in the types of LEDs we are looking at.
              The Luxeon types from 1W to 5W do indeed generate a lot of heat and require serious heat sinking.

Even the slick 1,3,5 watt type flashlights using the 3.6v batteries develope a lot of heat. they rely upon the flashlight body to dissipate that heat.

The various LED type work lamps are using the smaller white bright LED in large numbers. they are numbered to reduce the required regulation circuits.

Quite often you'll see a 6 or more LED flashlight using AAA batteries. Personally I do not care for that design as AA batteries will last longer but in many cases the AAA type batteries are used due to size deign limits of the specific flashlight

I do prefer the luxeon style LED as it provides a better brighter light.

How are you installing them in a Ridgid flashlight? As the lamp socket size is not the off the shelf lamp size?
              It would have been really clever if Ridgid used a socket configuration similar to auto lamps..either the wedge style or the 1156 socket size. Then locating a LED replacement lamp would be simply a trip to a well stocked auto supply store.

Keep us informed on your progress.

For now I have not pursued the LED project as I am knee deep in other projects and I don't have the time or patience right now to redesign a pretty good incandescent flashlight

Cactus Man
              Cactus Man, you know your stuff! The cluster LEDs are exactly what the other cordless tool manufacturers are using for their LED tool lights and for the exact reason you mentioned. I also thought about using the 12volt auto LED mod believing I could modify the bulb mount, but I just don't know if the 19plus volts a fully charged 18 volt battery produces would be too much for this unit? I agree the incandescent bulb works fine for what it is, however an LED unit would offer more light, greater run time and years of use without the need to replace.

Comment

canucksartech If I want to spend 8000$ in Car Audio that’s my business. And Yeah It’s a Hyundai so the phuck what! Maybe just maybe I had to get a cheap car that would take me, my kids, and wife from point A to Point B and that had a 100 000Km warranty. As for the Radar Detector don’t know what to tell you but in case you couldn’t figure it out it saves me from getting tickets. That’s why I have it. Don’t know what hick town you’re from but Hyundai’s can go over 100KM/h now.

And why the hell would I want to spend more money for a Car. Even If I spend 80 000$ on a car. It still doesn’t come with what I would call a decent sound system. I still would change the wheels and tire. and then I still would change the interior. They call it making your car unique. So you’re car doesn’t like the next guys car.

You must be too old to understand or just too ignorant. To each his own. But do me a favor and just phuck off.

Comment

canucksartech If I want to spend 8000$ in Car Audio that’s my business. And Yeah It’s a Hyundai so the phuck what! Maybe just maybe I had to get a cheap car that would take me, my kids, and wife from point A to Point B and that had a 100 000Km warranty. As for the Radar Detector don’t know what to tell you but in case you couldn’t figure it out it saves me from getting tickets. That’s why I have it. Don’t know what hick town you’re from but Hyundai’s can go over 100KM/h now.

And why the hell would I want to spend more money for a Car. Even If I spend 80 000$ on a car. It still doesn’t come with what I would call a decent sound system. I still would change the wheels and tire. and then I still would change the interior. They call it making your car unique. So you’re car doesn’t like the next guys car.

You must be too old to understand or just too ignorant. To each his own. But do me a favor and just phuck off.
                  Hey, it was just a series of comments on what my opinion was on the vehicle. If you didn't want to expose yourself to that differing opinion from yours, and therefore would have no need to get so overly defensive, then don't post the link to your vehicle in the first place.

And also - watch the language, no matter how camoflaged and disguised you make it. That's uncalled for on this forum.

Comment

http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/books/...2qYDLftXP4U%3d

http://mqup.mcgill.ca/book.php?bookid=1583

I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

What about those lights, huh? Tucson, welcome to the forum. Look forward to your future posts.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                        The cluster LEDs are exactly what the other cordless tool manufacturers are using for their LED tool lights and for the exact reason you mentioned. I also thought about using the 12volt auto LED mod believing I could modify the bulb mount, but I just don't know if the 19plus volts a fully charged 18 volt battery produces would be too much for this unit? I agree the incandescent bulb works fine for what it is, however an LED unit would offer more light, greater run time and years of use without the need to replace.
                        FYI: Ridgid got a new drill kit out: R82008 12V Li drill/driver plus 12V Li LED light @$139

Comment

Yeah I saw that light. Not really practical when working in closed spaces.

Still waiting on my LED bulb from Japan.

My R859 is opened up and ready for the transplant. I had to modify the chrome lens assenbly to accept the LED bulb. It will be pretty bitchin when done.

P.S

I tested the 24v and 18V Bat and they both register 12v at the light, witch is perfect. And even the bulb has the 12V stamp. So I cant wait to put this together

Comment

I tested the 24v and 18V Bat and they both register 12v at the light, witch is perfect. And even the bulb has the 12V stamp. So I cant wait to put this together
                            I checked the voltage at the bulb socket and it was identical to the battery ,absolutely no loss or reduction to 12 volts?

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                              I checked the voltage at the bulb socket and it was identical to the battery ,absolutely no loss or reduction to 12 volts?
                              Same here.

Comment

Whats your Model # maybee the R859 is made that way or I have a different Batch. witch works out great for me for my MOD

Here is a picture on a fully loaded @19 V Bat my 24V is at work but it registers the same @ 12V also

Comment

Working...
                                X