X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ridgid flashlight questions

My flashlight is model R849. Still doesn't make sense that the 18volt Dewalt or other bulb would burn bright at 12volts? In any case you are lucky and have a wide selection of LED units, about the only problem I can forsee would be heat. When I used the TS-18 Toolstar cluster LED drop-in they got very hot and even clouded the clear lens of the flashlight. Here is my voltage reading, you might be able to see that I have already chewed up my light trying to fit other bulbs.
    Attached Files

Comment

Mine is the R859 - the "MaxSelect" version that came with the XLi 24 volt kit.

Comment

Well here it is. Ridgid LED R859 Flashlight ....

I took this with a camera phone so add 150% for the brightness

I ordered a 48 LED bulb on ebay and will change it when it gets here.
        http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=220381132854

As for the Heat, Their is none. Left it on for 4 hours and it wasn't even warm.

Last edited by Tucson; 03-21-2009, 07:42 PM.

Comment

Nice job Tucson. Can you provide photos showing the modifications you did to the
          flashlight's original socket and new lamp mounting and securing?

Can you also describe in more detail a comparison in the light throw, shadows, etc to the original incandescent lamp. I suspect you have lost the ability to focus, but with the 30-45 degree angle you show a nice sized spot light and no obvious dark spots.

What did you base your LED lamp selection on?
          I viewed the lamp on e-bay but did not notice any dimensions as I'm not familiar with the MR16 size.
          If my math is correct...12v at 2.28w is around 190MA
          Using the nicad 2.5AH rated battery I would estimate a run time of approximately 13 hours?

Congratulations for a nicely done project

Cactus Man

Comment

Pictures look good , but I still don't understand how another person with the same flashlight did not see the voltage reduction at the socket as you did? I would pose this question to the techs at Ridgid but it seemed to take forever to get the question of which charger could be used for the lithium battery. I think it comes down to whether or not there is a voltage reduction in the circuit or not? My fully charged 18volt battery reads 21.5 volts and it was too much for the Terralux Toolstar led module. There seem to be more questions than answers on this topic, why the different readings at the socket, why has no one made a reliable LED replacement specifically for the 18 volt tool light? Well, I'm glad someone with a Ridgid flashlight was able to make the conversion to a LED light.

Comment

hey here is a close up picture

I mounted the light with some epoxy and I opened up the flashlight and removed the original black socket housing. (I saved it, in case I have to revert back ). And I didnt Hack out any parts of the flashlingt.

As for the difference in voltage it doesn’t really matter if your flashlight puts out more then 12V because there is a 24V LED Light available on eBay. Or you can just make your own LED panels.

Well I’m glad Ridgid put in a voltage regulator in my flashlight. It saved me from doing a custom LED panel and screwing around with resistors. I rather just get a premade led Bulb. They look way better. The 48 LED I ordered is 50mm in Diameter and will be 4x brighther then the one in their now.

Next time I open it up I will take pictures of my project. I didn’t know so many would be interested. All you need is an eBay LED light, Solder Iron, Epoxy and 15 minutes o free time . And a steady hand to extract the LED panel from the LED bulb.

Comment

Thanks Tucson, The interest in upgrading to a LED has many facets; the brighter whiter light produced, the lower current draw thus longer run time on a battery etc.

Eventually we will only see LED flashlights as we evolve.

Why the folks at Ridgid and other tool flashlight makers do not offer a LED upgrade is simply poor marketing and return on investment. Think about the "Maglite" brand! Following the LED lighting cult at candlepower forums and other places....the first flashlight to ever get modified to LEDs was a Maglite.

I think this was well over 10 years ago! Finally I think in 2008 Maglite offered a "factory made" 2aa, 3aa LED Maglite flashlight. They made a really big deal about that too!

I'll repeat my comment from an earlier post...Do Not attempt to use after market LED replacement bulbs! The Terralux, Maglight LED bulbs, and similar "ready to insert LED lamps"
                Will not work in the Ridgid, Ryobi, Dewalt, type flashlights. Most of those lamps are designed for a maximum of 2,3,or 4 batteries or a voltage not to exceed 6 volts!

If you try these lamps in a 12 volt flashlight you can watch you money "POP" away in moments! Use only LED lamps that are specified for 12VDC, or have a voltage regulator, or dropping resistor circuit internally or externally.

Another issue is "polarity" LED products are not forgiving! Insert the LED incorrectly meaning the wrong polarity and you will "POP" and destroy the LED in moments.

Cactus Man

Comment

Hey guys, I have a question since some of you sound like you know your electronics. Instead of wiring in resistors which I am just not up on, could I put a small rheosat(sp) in line such as a small volume control knob and reduce the voltage that way?

Comment

A potentiometer is easy but you still need to measure the value and do the math!
                    This is simply applying ohm's law: I=E/R or other manipulations R=E/I

For example....
                    you have a 12v supply and you want to hook up a single white LED.

Typically, a single white LED has a specification of 3.6VDC and draws around .020A [20ma]

You need to add a resistor to "drop" the 8.4VDC [3.6+8.4=12.0]
                    You know the current..20ma

In a series circuit the current flow is the same in the circuit so you have 8.4VDC and 20ma.
                    [that's Kirchoff's law].... using ohm's law: R=E/I
                    R= 8.4/0.020 [20ma]=420 ohms Now, this is not a typical value so a 470-510ohm resistor
                    will work just fine. Actually 3.6VDC is the maximum voltage for the LED.

Now to determine what size [power rating] resistor to use?
                    P=IxE 0.020x8.4=0.168w [168mw]
                    a 1/4w resistor is small and is 0.250w [250mw]
                    a 1/2w resistor is larger and is 0.500w [500mw]

Actually it is much better and safer to simply use a resistor than a potentiometer. I suppose you can use a potentiometer to establish the resistance value ..but it's so much easier to simply do the math.

Cactus Man

Comment

Tuscon.... I think the car looks great. As for putting high dollar accessories in low cost cars, When my wife bought a 500 dollar 1990 dakota because she loved how it looked and drove I bought her a Headunit for it that cost more than the entire truck.

I can understand not wasting money throwing 20" rims and a bodykit on a 1980's civic thats covered in rust holes with a shredded interior and barely runs but if the car is in good shape why not make it better and more to your liking?

As for the flashlight a LED swap should be pretty easy if you have room inside the housing for the regulator circuitry and can provide proper cooling to the led module itself. I changed the front turn signals on my car to led from incandescents using about 5 led's per housing. Now they are always a nice deep orange color that wont fade unlike the orange coating on the regular bulbs and the car will most likely have rotted away to a pile of dust in a junkyard before they burn out.

Led's are the way to go nowadays when it comes to low voltage and portable lighting.
                      In a couple of years i think it will be all LED with the exception of the portable halogen spot/flood lights that use automotive foglight bulbs and lead acid batteries.

Comment

Originally posted by rs.led
                        This website is advised to serve as a advertence for humans who allotment the accepted absorption of flashlights (torches) or for humans who would like some apprenticeship, or maybe try to search in some site that are related in your topic like that...

Comment

Yeah a luxeon LED needs a regulator circuit, typically they run around 3-4 volts DC...

Last edited by flashdix; 04-04-2009, 04:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tucson View Post
                            Well here it is. Ridgid LED R859 Flashlight ....

I took this with a camera phone so add 150% for the brightness

I ordered a 48 LED bulb on ebay and will change it when it gets here.
                            http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=220381132854

As for the Heat, Their is none. Left it on for 4 hours and it wasn't even warm.

Tucson,

I'm a little bit concerned/curious with this last picture. In the picture, the flashlight is on, as is the charge-level indicator LED lights on the battery. What I'm curious about is, did you press the charge-level button just before you took the picture, to light up these LEDs right before you snapped the pics? Or, if not, are they on all the time on your battery when you use this light? What I'm concerned about is, if it is indeed the latter of these and they are always on with this flashlight modification, then that's not normal - the LEDs are supposed to go on for a second to show you the charge level, and then go off. If they stay on all the time with this mod, then the LED bulb could be causing some sort of harmful feedback to your battery.

Let us know, because that picture has spiked my curiousity. Thanks. Good pictures of the steps you took, also - it helps to have the photos here, for us to see the actual progress. Thanks.

Comment

It was just to show I had a full bat.

Comment

Originally posted by Tucson View Post
                                It was just to show I had a full bat.
                                Perfect. Okay, thanks for the clarification.

Comment

Working...
                                X