X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will Simple Green Work For This??

I was starting to setup by new jointer today and the first thing the assembly instructions said to do was to clean all rust protected surfaces(cosmoline) with kerosene or diesel oil before continuing with the assembly. The instructions then went on to state that I should not use gasoline, paint thinner, mineral spirits, etc. in place of the kerosene or diesel oil as they may damage the painted surfaces of the jointer. Of course, I have no kerosene and don't even know what diesel oil is.

What I do have though is plenty of Simple Green. Have any one of you ever used Simple Green to clean off the cosmoline from new tools and if so how did it work? Also, did you dilute it or use it full strength? I'm assuming, there I go again, that because it's non-toxic and biodegradable it shouldn't hurt the painted surfaces.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Re: Will Simple Green Work For This??

#2 Fuel Oil (heating) and Diesel Fuel are of the same base. Diesel Fuel is refined a bit more and cleaner. Kerosene is close to #1 fuel oil and lighter. It's very good for cleaning machinery. I can't think of where Simple Green would harm a painted surface but being water based it shouldn't be used on bare metal. Also, I have doubt it would breakdown the cosmoline as well if at all. Some large service (full serve) gas stations or big ACE hardware stores sell kerosene. If you have trouble finding it, Diesel fuel is pretty good for cleaning machinery. It will leave a film and it sure does stink.

Comment

Thanks Woussko, I know of several places that I can get kerosene at. The only reason I didn't get some, yet anyways, is that I don't know what I'd do with the leftovers. Seems kind of dumb to have to buy a gallon to only use a couple of ounces of the stuff but I guess if I have too I have too.

I know that I used mineral spirits to clean up my table saw when I got that but there were no painted surfaces involved when I cleaned that up.

Comment

I would think simple green or some other degreaser type substance will clean it off. Diesel will do a great job of cleaning it off but its kinda messy and stinly in itself. Kerosene should be relatively easy to find. I actually had some around and didn't realize it, for some kerosene lamps from the hurricane/emergency stuff. I think I even got it from a supermarket. I still used mineral spirits on my table. Its not like I'm going to be spilling it all over. Just wipe the unpainted surface with a rag and it won't go onto the painted sides. Followed with some WD-40 and steel wool for good measure.

Comment

Any of your neighbors have a kerosene heater? Maybe you could beg a half pint (which is way more than you will need) off of them. Or, if you end up buying a gallon (which you would need a proper container to put it in), give it to someone who uses a kerosene heater. If you gas station where you buy gasoline regularly sells kerosene or diesel maybe they would give you a squirt out of the hose into a container. Ther's always a cup or so of fuel in the nozzle.
          ---------------
          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
          ---------------
          “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
          ---------
          "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
          ---------
          sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Some forums I'm a member of suggest WD-40 for cleaning off the shipping oils and greases.I've used it myself an think it makes a much better cleaner then lubricant..My 2 pesos...Sam

Comment

Here is a way to get a bottle of very clean and pure kerosene. If you go to Walmart and look for fancy oil lamps in the housewares (not camping) area they sell bottles of Lamplight Farms lamp oil. There are 2 types and you want the kind that does not say "Ultra" on it. The very clear color regular "Lamp Oil" is very clean and pure kerosene. I have seen it in several sizes. Please see picture showing the right bottle to look for.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Woussko; 09-23-2007, 12:00 AM.

Comment

Woussko, what a great idea. I never even though about using that stuff. On my way out the door right now to head to Walmart. Thanks again,.......... you one smart guy dude.

Comment

Thanks Dave

I almost laughed at the idea of buying it at Walmart in a quart bottle as the stuff costs way to much, but then sometimes we just don't need lots of something. In addition the stuff at Walmart is a very clean grade of kerosene. Around here for heating several gas stations have K1 on a pump for about $2.75/gallon but you must buy it by the gallon. (Hand pump and a special measuring container.)

I have a gut feeling over time you'll be buying it by the gallon and using kerosene more and more. This will be a nice introduction.

Dave, If the bottle says Ultra-Pure Lamp Oil that is not what you want. That is only for the fancy oil lamps and is not kerosene. You want the regular kind that's very clear in color and where if you sniff the bottle cap it stinks a little even when sealed.
                  Last edited by Woussko; 09-23-2007, 02:28 PM.

Comment

My,my

Holy mackerel, UNREAL, LAWSUIT CITY here you go

Good thing your not in the US of A or you could just about retire.

Being an employer and one time having way to many employees I had to read something calls MSDS (material safety data sheets) and one day OSHA paid a friend of mine a visit at his heating company's office and found mechanics using diesel fuel to clean parts and they issued him an amazing fine. That was in the early 80's

From that day forward I use WD 40 and fired almost everyone (less liability)

FYI here is something to consider

Description: Kerosene is a complex mixture of hydrocarbons from a variety of chemical processes blended to meet standardized product specifications. Composition varies greatly and includes C9 to C16 hydrocarbons
                    3. Hazards Identification
                    Health Hazard Data:
                    1. The major effect of exposure to this product is headache, drowsiness, irritation of the eyes and nose, and lungs. Target organs include the respiratory system, nervous system, and mucous membranes.

Know any good lawyers?

Got to love directions like ones that say EAT asbestos to cure heart burn ( KIDDING as it taste terrible)

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
                      I was starting to setup by new jointer today and the first thing the assembly instructions said to do was to clean all rust protected surfaces(cosmoline) with kerosene or diesel oil before continuing with the assembly. The instructions then went on to state that I should not use gasoline, paint thinner, mineral spirits, etc. in place of the kerosene or diesel oil as they may damage the painted surfaces of the jointer. Of course, I have no kerosene and don't even know what diesel oil is.

What I do have though is plenty of Simple Green. Have any one of you ever used Simple Green to clean off the cosmoline from new tools and if so how did it work? Also, did you dilute it or use it full strength? I'm assuming, there I go again, that because it's non-toxic and biodegradable it shouldn't hurt the painted surfaces.
                      I recently purchased a new Drill Press and a new Band Saw from Sears. Both of them included instructions to clean them with WD-40 to remove the protective oils.

Mark
                      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

What do you think WD40 is made out of? Have any of you ever sprayed a little into a fire and watched it POOF? (I suggest that you not do it.)

Aerosol WD40 MSDS: http://wd40.com/Brands/pdfs/msds-wd40_aerosol.us.pdf

Bulk WD40 MSDS: http://wd40.com/Brands/pdfs/msds-wd40_bulk.us.pdf
                        Last edited by Woussko; 09-23-2007, 06:49 PM.

Comment

Actually that's kind of true. Legally and for so many other reasons it isn't a good idea to recommend in the manual using diesel as a cleaner for many reasons. It's illegal to use in anyway that it can not be properly disposed off, such as throwing the dirty diesel soaked rag away in the trash. Actually its illegal with any of these substances but I'm sure diesel is a lot stricter. Not to mention unlike WD40, mineral spirits and others which will quickly evaporate, diesel is not volatile and doesn't evaporate. It just stays there remaining fully flammable.

Comment

Bob, Some comments:

Don't know how strict it is where you live, but diesel fuel (aka stove oil, heating oil, kerosene) is still widely used as both a fuel for trucks and for heating homes in most of the US. Most of the users use rags to clean up their mess, and throw them out with the trash. As long as its a "combustible" rated container for storage (as opposed to "flammable") I doubt you will have a problem unless you are in NYC. It is less flammable than most of the alternatives.

Naptha (aka white gas, Coleman lantern fuel, cigarette lighter fuel) is also an alternative but is more flammable. It can also be used to thoroughly clean off the residue that the diesel fuel leaves behind. It is also a great pre-paint wipedown solvent to remove any oils, hand-[rints, etc. It has a lower flashpoint than kerosene.

DNA (Denatured Alcohol), will also work, altho not as effectively, and will do a good job at removing the oily residue of the diesel fuel, and is EPA exempt concerning VOCs for those that live in NYC. It also has a lower flash point than diesel fuel. Don't use regular ethyl alcohol because I think it has been known to cause legislators and judges in the states of California and New York to act rationally. Besides, it is also better used medicinally and is cheaper than Prozac.

Simple green is corrosive if not thoroughly removed.

Go
                            Last edited by Gofor; 09-23-2007, 09:48 PM.
                            Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Working...
                            X