Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ridgid L-I Batteries

Originally posted by Disaster View Post
    I looked at the batteries again...specifically the weight, and sadly, I'm inclined to agree with you. Nice investigative work, by the way. <edit> ..........

Knowing that the Ridgid battery is no better than the Makita, I'd be inclined instead to either buy the Makita drill which is only $20 more and lighter <and notably shorter>. Also, Makita is a little better known <proprietary motors, machined gears> and commands better resale. Better still, the new kit, Makita is offering, .............................

Now I've got to see if I can find my receipt so I can return the $179 kit.
    I will continue to pursue this AHr issue and try to push it up the line some just to make absolutely sure of the ratings. (I still believe the 1.5AHr number, however). Ridgid's Lifetime Service is still a major issue with me and may keep me 'in the fold' in spite of some preferred competitive alternatives.

Regards,
    Tom B

Comment

Re: 18v Ridgid cordless drills, battteries &amp; torque

I agree with Disaster, and after another conversation with Ridgid Tech Support they are now saying the AH rating is 1.5! I did my best to tell the tech (Teresa) that 1.5AH is worthless to most of the people using these tools. I want that 3.0 and if Ryobi can make a 2.4 then Ridgid can offer a 3.0. I would pay the price and would not mind if it was the same size as my 2.5 nicads. I hate making the effort to go to the people who should know the right answers and end up being misinformed. Teresa said they were already getting negative feedback and I urge all of you who want a better battery from Ridgid to please call them and tell them. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
        I agree with Disaster, and after another conversation with Ridgid Tech Support they are now saying the AH rating is 1.5! I did my best to tell the tech (Teresa) that 1.5AH is worthless to most of the people using these tools. I want that 3.0 and if Ryobi can make a 2.4 then Ridgid can offer a 3.0. I would pay the price and would not mind if it was the same size as my 2.5 nicads. I hate making the effort to go to the people who should know the right answers and end up being misinformed. Teresa said they were already getting negative feedback and I urge all of you who want a better battery from Ridgid to please call them and tell them. Thank you.
        I wouldn't say worthless....but worth less. ;-)

Very frustrating if you bought this set based on information from the information Ridgid previously gave.

I imagine I'm not the only one who bought this set to get Lithium Ion batteries for their existing Ridgid 18 volt tool tools. Part of the motivation was the higher power of the batteries compared to the Max2.5's.

At 3Ah's, they were a good value. At half that power, not so much.

Comment

I posted this also on the related 18v tool thread. This response just received from Ridgid Tech Support after this morning's inquiry.

"That is correct, according to the product manager, the 18V Lithium Ion batteries have 1.5 Ah cells."

I am now going outside to work on my new deck and see if I can lift the new 24v Hammer Drill this morning. If not, the endless search will begin again ....

Tom B

Comment

Just curios, does anyone know the exact weight of the ridgid 18v lithium ion packs? That could give some clue as to the cell count and AH rating.

Comment

I had always assumed the 3AH claims were incorrect because my 18V LI batteries for the compact drill are the same size as the 1.5 Makita and Hitachi. After using the Ridgid compact 18V LI drill on the job for several weeks I am totaly satisfied. The drill has nice balance, power, and for normal use on general housing rehab jobs the battery life is totaly acceptable. Sometimes we get too myopic on the specs. In the real work world I have found this to be a very good tool. If I'm going to do a deck job where I'm running 3" coated screws all day I will probably reach for my Ridgid 24V LI hammerdrill or the Maxselect impact tool.I can choose to use the 18 or 24 V LI battery with it.
              One further thought. I purchased the 24V LI set for the primary reason of having the flexibility of 24V LI power for the recip and circ saws and the 18V LI drill for the light weight of it and the choice of batteries to use in my Maxselect Impact Tool, Jig saw and others as I add them. Compared to complete sets of tools of other brands I still believe my investment in Ridgid is on balance very good. The last time I did the numbers I would have to spend more money for an equivalent set of Makita 18V LI tools and wouldn't have as good performance for the recip saw and circ saw as the Ridgid 24V LI. The Dewalt 36V LI is to expensive to consider and for less investment I also have the lightweight 18V LI batteries to use on the drill and Maxselect tools. I believe the last time I looked the DeWalt 36V LI circ and recip set was $799.00. I now have significant experiance using all these tools and they are working very well in the "real world" of the job site.
              Last edited by roadrashray; 10-03-2007, 05:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Velosapien View Post
                Just curios, does anyone know the exact weight of the ridgid 18v lithium ion packs? That could give some clue as to the cell count and AH rating.
                I posted that in one of the other 5 threads. The 24 volt pack weighed something like 2lbs, 2oz. The 18 volt pack only weighs 1lb 1oz. For another comparison, the Panasonic 14.4 volt 3Ah pack weighs 1lb 3oz.

Comment

I posted that in one of the other 5 threads. The 24 volt pack weighed something like 2lbs, 2oz. The 18 volt pack only weighs 1lb 1oz. For another comparison, the Panasonic 14.4 volt 3Ah pack weighs 1lb 3oz.
                  I got consistent results for both of these batt weights. 24v L-I __ 2# 4oz,
                  18v L-I __ 1# 1oz. Interestingly enough (we can easily get spoiled) I weighed the 18v NiCad (for same drill body) at 1# 15 1/2 oz. I probably need to 'get real' and enjoy the extra ooommpphh of the 24v for only holding 4.5 oz more than you guys have been doing for many years with the NiCads.

Tom B

Comment

Originally posted by doubtingtom View Post
                    I got consistent results for both of these batt weights. 24v L-I __ 2# 4oz,
                    18v L-I __ 1# 1oz. Interestingly enough (we can easily get spoiled) I weighed the 18v NiCad (for same drill body) at 1# 15 1/2 oz. I probably need to 'get real' and enjoy the extra ooommpphh of the 24v for only holding 4.5 oz more than you guys have been doing for many years with the NiCads.

Tom B
                    That must not have been a MaxHC or Max2.5, which actually weigh more than the 24 volt batteries, at 2 lbs 6.5 ounces and 2 lbs 8 ounces, respectively.

Now that was a TRUE upgrade. Lighter weight and more power.

Comment

Originally posted by roadrashray View Post
                      I had always assumed the 2.9AH claims were incorrect because my 18V LI batteries for the compact drill are the same size as the 1.5 Makita and Hitachi. After using the Ridgid compact 18V LI drill on the job for several weeks I am totaly satisfied. The drill has nice balance, power, and for normal use on general housing rehab jobs the battery life is totaly acceptable. Sometimes we get to myopic on the specs. In the real work world I have found this to be a very good tool. If I'm going to do a deck job where I'm running 3" coated screws all day I will probably reach for my Ridgid 24V LI hammerdrill or the Maxselect impact tool.I can choose to use the 18 or 24 V LI battery with it.
                      One further thought. I purchased the 24V LI set for the primary reason of having the flexibility of 24V LI power for the recip and circ saws and the 18V LI drill for the light weight of it and the choice of batteries to use in my Maxselect Impact Tool, Jig saw and others as I add them. Compared to complete sets of tools of other brands I still believe my investment in Ridgid is on balance very good. The last time I did the numbers I would have to spend more money for an equivalent set of Makita 18V LI tools and wouldn't have as good performance for the recip saw and circ saw as the Ridgid 24V LI. The Dewalt 36V LI is to expensive to consider and for less investment I also have the lightweight 18V LI batteries to use on the drill and Maxselect tools. I believe the last time I looked the DeWalt 36V LI circ and recip set was $799.00. I now have significant experiance using all these tools and they are working very well in the "real world" of the job site.
                      If you were looking for a lighter weight tool to add to your Ridgid collection, and are happy with the current 18 volt NiCds...or have and are happy with the 24 volt set it might not be such a big deal.

If, on the other hand, you were looking at this set as a way to upgrade your 18 volt batteries to Lithium Ion, you would be decidingly less enthusiastic...especially if you were given information that lead you to believe these batteries were an upgrade.

I for one, would be more than willing to live with a few more ounces of battery weight for more power. They could and should make up for that battery weight by taking weight out of the porky drill.

DeWalt, Makita, Hitachi, Panasonic...heck pretty much everyone else knows how to make lighter tools. Ridgid needs to review what those guys are doing.

I agree with you that it can be nice to have the 24 volt tool power. However, I am more inclined to use a lighter tool, when all that power isn't necessary....mostly for drill and impact applications. The Ridgid 18 volt and 24 volt drills are the heaviest in their class. Unfortunately, they continued this tradition with their "compact" drill.

Comment

The Makita 3.0ah batteries weigh about 1.6 lbs and they have two 18v 1.5ah rows wired in parallel. Their 1.5 ah compacts weigh about 1.1 lbs and do away with one of the rows. 1 lbs 1z puts definately puts the Ridgid 18v batteries at about 1.5ah. For 3.0h they would need more cells. No way they can make anything close to a 3.0ah battery at that weight.

Comment

Ridgid tech support said the AH on the new 18 volt Lithium Ion battery is in fact 1.5. Now, how do we get Ridgid to market a 3.0 or better yet 3.5 AH in place of this weak embarassment? Did they think by omitting this information on the packaging people would not find out? What kind of research and developing team do they have? I think most people who buy these tools want the most bang for their buck and more AH's equal longer run times. I would really appreciate a 18 volt lithium ion battery from Ridgid that compliments my tools and 1.5AH is a lousy joke. Come on, Ryobi can make and market a 2.4AH lithium, you think Ridgid had no clue this was going to be a problem? I think if the folks at Ridgid want to make more sales and keep more loyal customers, they'd better double that AH to at least 3.0 and get it in the stores real quick.

Comment

Originally posted by roadrashray View Post
                            I had always assumed the 3AH claims were incorrect because my 18V LI batteries for the compact drill are the same size as the 1.5 Makita and Hitachi. After using the Ridgid compact 18V LI drill on the job for several weeks I am totaly satisfied. The drill has nice balance, power, and for normal use on general housing rehab jobs the battery life is totaly acceptable. Sometimes we get too myopic on the specs. In the real work world I have found this to be a very good tool. If I'm going to do a deck job where I'm running 3" coated screws all day I will probably reach for my Ridgid 24V LI hammerdrill or the Maxselect impact tool.I can choose to use the 18 or 24 V LI battery with it.
                            If you were looking for a lighter weight tool to add to your Ridgid collection, and are happy with the current 18 volt LIs...or have and are happy with the 24 volt set it might not be such a big deal.

If, on the other hand, you were looking at this set as a way to upgrade your 18 volt batteries to Lithium Ion, you would be decidingly less enthusiastic...especially if you were given information that lead you to believe these batteries were an upgrade.

I for one, would be more than willing to live with a few more ounces of battery weight for more power. They could and should make up for that battery weight by taking weight out of the porky drill.

DeWalt, Makita, Hitachi, Panasonic...heck pretty much everyone else knows how to make lighter tools. Ridgid needs to review what those guys are doing.

I agree with you that it can be nice to have the 24 volt tool power. However, I am more inclined to use a lighter tool, when all that power isn't necessary....mostly for drill and impact applications. The Ridgid 18 volt and 24 volt drills are the heaviest in their class. Unfortunately, they continued this tradition with their "compact" drill.
                            Disaster.....If you or anyone else purchased the Ridgid 18V LI batteries expecting to get a 3Ah battery you have a right to be dissapointed by receiving a 1.5Ah. I had seen the 3Amp 18V LI on the box when I purchased the Maxselect Impact tool. I was surprised and puzzled when I purchased the Ridgid 18V LI compact drill and found no reference to battery capacity anywhere on the box, battery or literature. As previously stated I assumed it was a 1.5Ah as it was virtually the same size as the 1.5 Makita and Hitachi batteries. After using the drill I found it to be very job site usable and have been very happy with it. The drill is powerful, light, well balanced has very good run time with the 1.5Ah battery. I would suggest anyone who was mislead by previous Ridigid literature or other claims of a 3Ah 18V LI battery and is not happy should return them to Home Depot for a full refund. With evidence of Ridgid misleading promotion printed on the ouside of the Maxselect Impact tool they should refund your money.
                            Now with regard to the weight comparison of the Ridgid 18V LI Compact drill with 18 volt drills from other manufacturers I believe over all the Ridgid drill compares very favorably. I went to a few sites and obtained the following. I tried to find the lightest 18V drill for each mfgr. Some are not LI because they aren't available yet.
                            Panasonic 18V 5.7lbs
                            Dewalt 18V 5.2lbs
                            Bosch 18V 5.7lbs
                            Milwaukee 18V 6.1lbs
                            Porter Cable 19.2V 5.25lbs
                            Hitachi 18V 4.6lbs
                            Ridgid 18V 4.29lbs
                            Makita 18V 3.5lbs
                            I am a little dubious about the published weight for the Makita as their web site states (net weight-3.5lbs) and goes on to describe the drill as available with 1.5Ah or 3Ah batteries. Is the 3.5lbs with or without battteries? I'm confident someone will provide the answer very quickly. Any way at 4.29lbs (with battery on our local USPS electronic scale)I would hardly describe the Ridgid 18V LI compact drill as "porky". A quick review of the above list demonstrates the weight of the 18V Ridgid is at the low end of 18V drill weights. I have no idea how durable or usable the other drills are. There have been a few posts on this site complaining about the Makita compact drill. I have no opinion on that stuff. Somebody will always have trouble with tools. I will repeat that I have found the Ridgid 18V LI compact drill to be a powerful, light, well balanced, cost effective very good jobsite tool......and the bonus is with the Lifetime Service Agreement those expensive little LI batteries are free when they go kapoot.
                            Last edited by roadrashray; 10-03-2007, 06:09 PM.

Comment

I verified my makita compact as 3.5 lbs exactly with the 1.5ah batteries. It's just under 4lbs with the 3.0ah.

Comment

Originally posted by Velosapien View Post
                                I verified my makita compact as 3.5 lbs exactly with the 1.5ah batteries. It's just under 4lbs with the 3.0ah.
                                Velo....Thanks. I knew it wouldn't take long.
                                Yep....that's a light one. How long have you had it, what do you use it for and how do you like it?
                                Ray

Comment

Working...
                                X