X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adjustable Laser?

Hi, this is my first post to this forum. I found this forum after buying a new Ridgid compound miter saw (MS1250LZ1) a month or so ago. Since I bought it, my only complaint is that the "Exactline" laser is anything but exact. Not a huge deal but kind of annoying. I was trying to determine if one of the the following was possible: 1. Adjust the laser or
    2. Mount an additional laser on the other side of the blade so at least I would have an approximation of the width of the saw blade.

While researching option 1 I found this: http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/MS1250LZ...w/EN/index.htm
    which states that the laser is adjustable on this model. I can't find anything in my owners manual about adjusting the laser so I wonder if there is an updated laser that is available that will fit on my saw.

Or if anybody knows if #2 is possible. Thanks in advance.

Re: Adjustable Laser?

Thats an error. The laser is not adjustable in any of the Ridgid saws, or any saw with an arbor mounted laser for that matter. Cerrently, that I'm aware of only Dewalt and Makita offer independant adjustable lasers. There is an after market system you can get from www.laserkerf.com which gets pretty good reviews.
    Last edited by Velosapien; 09-26-2007, 11:05 AM.

Comment

I would call there service center as all the "new saws" say "adjustable laser",
      and yet there manuals are not listed, as of yet.

there is nothing in the manual that talks about it?

http://www.ridgid.com/MenuDriver.asp...enters&Code=PT
      1-866-539-1710

if you find out any thing report back if you can.
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

I contacted Tech Services and this is what I was told.

The adjustable laser for the MS1250LZA is not available in stock yet, due to the saw being so new to the market. The adjustable laser should be available for purchasing over the next few months. Yes, the saw can be returned under the 90 day exchange window, if you like.

I have used quite a few of the regular laser guide saws since we introduced them, and found the laser to be right on the mark with basically every saw I have used. There is not an adjustment for that laser devise.

When preparing to make the cut, you make a line on your work piece where you want the cut to be. Are you using a carpenters pencil that leaves a wide mark, or a freshly sharpened pencil that leaves a fine mark? The mark, and its placement in association of where you place the laser line, along with the kerf of the blade creates a type of learning curve that may take you a few practice cuts to become familiar with the saws performance, and where you actually want the cut to finally be on your work piece.

With the miter arm in the full upright position and with the work piece you want to save to the left of the blade, following all safety rules turn the saw on and look for the broken laser line to appear on the work piece. Line your pencil mark up with the broken line, hold the work piece in place and slowly bring the blade down through the work piece. As you lower the blade you will see the laser line become fuller, and it may appear to move slightly to the left of the mark. Keep the work piece in place not letting it move from the original position you had placed it in when you started the saw. The blade should cut on the mark every time. If not, then the laser disc may be off its tolerance. Please contact your nearest Ridgid authorized service dealer to have the saw and laser checked and possible warranty replacement of the laser. If you have any further questions regarding the lasers performance, contact Ridgid technical services at 1-866-539-1710.
        My laser is off by quite a bit and it is extra annoying when doing crown molding because the right hand piece is the piece I want to save so the laser is pretty much useless in that scenario.

Comment

I don't know anything about an "adjustable" laser, but certainly the comment by the tech service rep, that the laser is "right on the mark" is a bit exaggerated to say the least.

The very nature of the laser mounting point (on the arbor, outboard of the blade) negates any possibility of the laser being adjusted to exactly match the kerf.

Consider if you will, trying to align a single headlight on your car to exactly match the point of impacting on the front center of the car at some given distance from the vehicle. At what distance would you adjust... and once determined, you would immediately find that as the car moved forward, the focused light would move outward from the target.

The same is true of an arbor mounted laser. At best it can only be aligned to be parallel with the blade. The distance from the actual edge of the kerf will depend on the thickness of the blade and the thickness of the mounting base of the laser housing.

If the laser was somehow adjustable or manufactued to focus at an angle that would strike the kerf area... at what distance would that be and how would you account for any change in stock thickness. I suppose you could perhaps focus the beam to the point of contact with the blade edge, but if so, wich the blade in the upper position, it would strike well to the right of "kerf" down at the table. As you moved the saw downward the beam would track closer and closer to the point of contact. So, no real accuracy is gained because of the laser and you might just as well watch the edge of the blade, as most of do, without the need of the laser.

Obviously, as with the "car" example I mentioned, as you move the blade, so moves the fixed distance of the laser's focus.

At best, an arbor mounted laser is just a "close" reference, with "close" being a bit disappointing for most of us! To be accurate, a laser would have to be fitted to a fixed point of reference, that would remain constant through both the saw's action, as well as the change in stock to be cut. An arbor mount, isn't it!

IMO, "lasers" in most applications to portable tools are more a gimmick than anything else. They are cheap to manufacture and have become a "magnet" to many potential buyers. On have only two powe tools with lasers and frankly I find them more an annoyance than anything else. They are also a bit hard on the eyes.

For what it's worth,

CWS
          Last edited by CWSmith; 09-26-2007, 02:35 PM.

Comment

Click on this, then click on menu, tools, saw. The new R4121 saw has an adjustable laser.
            Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

For the past month or so all the Ridgid saws I've gotten have come with the adjustable laser. The first time I saw it was when the dual compound 12" started shipping and then the sliding 12" and regular 12" started comming in with them. I havne't recieved any more 10" since my store has a good stock of them but I'd assume my next shipment of them will have them as well. I've only played with it a little bit and I'd say it solves the problems of the line being off 1/8".

Like was stated before bring it back to the HD under the 90 days satisfaction and grab one of the new stock ones. You can tell it's the new one because on the box where it says 'Exactline Laser' It will now say 'Exactline Adjustable Laser'.

Comment

Do you know how the new adjustment system works?

Comment

I love lasers on a miter saw and I believe they should be effortless and accurate in outling the blade. Too, I wanted a "dual" laser setup that would allow me to cut from either side of the blade so that when I made my crown molding cuts, or for that matter, any cut that I had meticulously measured in place from the right side and marked, I could make the right of the blade cut. I have almost a complete gang of Ridgid products, but a couple of years ago I had to go with the Delta dual laser miter and am glad that I did. It's saved me a ton of time and effort. Am a little disappointed though that I saw one for the low price of $125 at the local Lowe's as I guess after Delta came under DeWalt/B&D ownership flag they are adjusting for cross products between the two lines. The saw is excellent, but isn't dual bevel, nor does it have any slide action potential. Saw the new Ridgid miter saw at a local HD Contractor's show and it was gorgeous to look at and test. I've put the Irwin arbor mounted laser devices on my other 3 miters and they're good also, but nothing compared to the dual. Thought I'd chime in as McSquared mentioned right side laser cuts using a miter saw.

Comment

Originally posted by garager View Post
                    Click on this, then click on menu, tools, saw. The new R4121 saw has an adjustable laser.
                    If this adjustable laser works, I hope it can be used on my existing MS1290LZ, because the exactline arbor mounted laser has always been off.
                    See ya when the sawdust clears,
                    Hector

Comment

forget lasers....think LED

you'll see. (even outside where the sun shines)

Comment

Originally posted by donutboy View Post
                        forget lasers....think LED

you'll see. (even outside where the sun shines)
                        Very true, but right now we are only given a laser option. I tried to ask about this adjustable laser, would it fit other older models. Well so far nothing for nobody can tell me sh!t.

You would think that someone would check this out, then there is the question, will they sell this separately????
                        Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Working...
                        X