X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 18v lithium vs. ni-cad chargers

The manual for the 18v lithium drill set says not to charge other than LI batteries with the LI charger (not sure why...cooling?). But, can I charge the LI batteries on my existing (ni-cad) Rapid Max charger?

Also, is there supposed to be a fan in the LI charger? There is a noticeable noise difference between the LI (silent) and the NC (fan noise) chargers.

Re: 18v lithium vs. ni-cad chargers

Do not, I repeat Do NOt charge Lithium Ion Batteries in anything other than a charger specifically designed for them! I have read elsewhere on this site that it can cause fire or explosion! Please use the proper charger.

Comment

The Lithium and NiCd chargers and batteries are not compatible. They use different algorithms. Charging a a NiCd battery in Lithium charger, or visa versa, risks ruining the battery, or, in the worst case causing a explosion or fire.

The Lithium charger and batteries are more efficient when charging. They create less heat. The fan, which in the NiCd charger cools the charger and battery, is not necessary for the Lithium charger.

Comment

Thanks for the detailed reply. I kinda figured as much, but was looking for the easy out wrt chargers. They're starting to breed I think.

Comment

JS, you're not alone with all the chargers and batteries to keep track of and it's not getting any easier. This summer alone I picked up a cordless hedge trimmer, rechargeable D cell and 123A batteries all those batteries, chargers and cords. I'm trying to keep things orderly to prevent tangles and damage. I'm also going to set up a schedule for checking voltage on some of these batteries and routinely charging them. They make life easier in many ways but have their own needs.

Comment

LI batts have a temp sensor on each sell to monitor them during the charge, as others have said don't try using other type chargers, they started using LI batts in remote controll cars and planes years ago, the hobby ind. is always ahead of the loop in tech. soon you'll probbly see tools with brushless motors, they are way smaller and more efficient and more powerfull, thay have surpast gas driven hobby stuff, then you will see very light compact drills that will have more tork than the biggest badest 24v or whatever.
            do a search on RC stuff or brushless motors you will be suprised at what is out there and know how far behind the loop the protable power tool world is.
            Last edited by jaminjimlp; 10-23-2007, 02:37 AM.
            ROMANS 10:9 confess with your mouth that JESUS is LORD and believe in your heart that GOD raised him from the dead and you will be Saved.

Comment

Festool is producing some cordless tools with brushless motors. Checkout their wild and high priced cordless drills.

http://festoolusa.com/contactus.aspx

Comment

Originally posted by jaminjimlp View Post
                ...they started using LI batts in remote controll cars and planes years ago...
                The tool industry is definitely a bit behind. As mentioned Festool has some brushless motors. Also, Panasonic makes an impact gun with a brushless motor.

There are a couple big advantages to brushless and a couple disadvantages.

Pros:
                • 10-40% more efficient....depending on use. Could greatly improve power and runtimes in an even smaller package
                • No brushes and therefore no brush wear or maintenance required.

Cons:
                • Requires more costly (at least initially) electronic motor control (which function like the brushes used to.)
                • Cooling is required. Because the coils don't spin and therefore don't get a good flow of air over them, you may, in many cases need additional cooling...a heat sink or fan. Also you have to be careful that this hot external shell can't come in contact with the operator. Because of this you generally aren't going to be able to just swap out a brushless motor in a tool...it will require a little more design thinking than that.

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
                  Festool is producing some cordless tools with brushless motors. Checkout their wild and high priced cordless drills.

http://festoolusa.com/contactus.aspx
                  WOW!!! there sweet... high dollar too.

it's a rich mans drill!!!
                  ROMANS 10:9 confess with your mouth that JESUS is LORD and believe in your heart that GOD raised him from the dead and you will be Saved.

Comment

Festool is to tools, what SIG is to firearms - TOP QUALITY! PERIOD!

Comment

Originally posted by Disaster View Post
                      The Lithium and NiCd chargers and batteries are not compatible. They use different algorithms. Charging a a NiCd battery in Lithium charger, or visa versa, risks ruining the battery, or, in the worst case causing a explosion or fire.

The Lithium charger and batteries are more efficient when charging. They create less heat. The fan, which in the NiCd charger cools the charger and battery, is not necessary for the Lithium charger.
                      The charger for my Ridgid 18V LI compact drill states it CAN be used to charge 18, 14.4 12, and 9.6 NIcad batteries and lists the Nicad battery model numbers on the charger info plate. However my Ridgid Max twin charger can charge all the Nicad batts but NOT the LI batteries.

Comment

Originally posted by roadrashray View Post
                        The charger for my Ridgid 18V LI compact drill states it CAN be used to charge 18, 14.4 12, and 9.6 NIcad batteries and lists the Nicad battery model numbers on the charger info plate. However my Ridgid Max twin charger can charge all the Nicad batts but NOT the LI batteries.
                        Correct. You can design a charger to recognize and charge multiple kinds of batteries. It was disappointing that the new Ridgid Lithium Ion charger wasn't designed that way. Both the Panasonic and the Ryobi new Lithium chargers are smart enough to also charge their older NiCad batteries.

The Ryobi charger is a really nice upgrade because it's new smart technology is actually kinder to the old NiCad batteries...so they will last longer too.

Comment

Uhhhh, no. The new 18V lithium charger CAN also charge all the various Ni-cad batteries. They are smart enough, as you state.

Comment

Ahhh...my mistake. I missed that feature when I had the charger. That makes it much nicer. Now you don't have to carry two chargers around. Wonder if Ridgid will come out with a twin battery model?

Comment

I am wondering that myself. Methinks that they are waiting until just before Christmas, and will probably be releasing a small kit with a twin-charger for the LI (and/or a charger that will charge all types, Ni-cad and LI, and voltages, 9.6 to 24 volts, of Ridgid batteries), maybe with 1 or 2 full size 18-volt LI batteries - probably in the 2.4 to 3.0 Ah range, and they will probably look similar to the current 24 volt LI batteries. This, after all, is what has been pictured on the sides of the MaxSelect tools' packaging for the last year, so I would bet that it's soon coming. I'm hoping that the radio (if/whenever it is being released), will also charge both types, and all voltages, too.

Comment

Working...
                              X