Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

How To Post Images

Want to know the how to upload images to your posts? Image Posting Tutorial
See more
See less

My jigsaw quit! Huge price range and ....

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My jigsaw quit! Huge price range and ....

..... lots of dang heavy tools to choose from. I want to go Ridgid, but the corded saw is too pricey ($139.) unless you men can help me understand the key factors. I have never done much intricate scrolling, but Skil has two jig saws well under $100. and both are scrolling saws. My early choice was Ridgid MaxSelect at $119., but that is still well above many apparently good choices out there. As a home user, I doubt I would often use a jig saw anywhere away from good power sources and a good work surface.

I will greatly appreciate some helpful calibration on the finer points of current jig saws. Is there strong support out there for cordless versions (homeowner applications)?

[ I'm sure enjoying the new Ridgid 24v kit .. hammer drill, recip saw, worklight .. !! ]

Regards,
    Tom B
    Last edited by doubtingtom; 10-03-2007, 11:01 PM. Reason: added point

Re: Maybe question should be more specific??

I see scrolling on two Skil jig saws but not on any others at HD. I'm thinking that for my needs perhaps this is not a priority. I also could use a comment or two on the cordless jig saw ( hey ... I know how important if there is no power ... and yes, it might be more convenient .... but I'm wondering more about how well it works by comparison to corded (especially the Ridgid versions). Finally, I have only seen Milwaukee and Festool barrel grip units and Festool is beyond my budget. How much emphasis should I place on this configuration (mostly for home improvement usage)? I am not likely to exceed $160. for this purchase and perhaps $119. if the cordless Ridgid is a solid tool.

Regards,
    Tom B

Comment

If $139 is too pricey then what price range are you looking at buying in? Anything less than $75 will put you into the questionable to crappy category.

For the sporadic usage you said you'll be giving this saw, I'd stay away from the cordless ones. There is nothing more frustrating than running out of power in the middle of a cut or waiting for a battery to charge so you can use the saw.

A couple of jigsaws to consider, in the $75-$100 range, would be the Freud FJ-85 or the Bosch 1587. You might have to hunt around to find them in that price range but it can be done. Whatever saw you end up with, make sure that you don't scrimp when it comes to buying blades. Bosch makes excellent blades with their Progressor Series being my favorites.
      Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
        If $139 is too pricey then what price range are you looking at buying in? Anything less than $75 will put you into the questionable to crappy category. ......
        Many thanks for helping! No ... $139. is in my 'acceptable' range. Thanks for your 'cordless' comment. I guess the corded is the one of choice. I see sources on the web that rate Bosch very highly so my current thought is the $159, Bosch or $139. Ridgid. If the Ridgid is a solid performer (for most home project tasks) then the warranty becomes a very positive issue.

Regards,
        Tom B

Comment

Re: My jigsaw quit! Huge price range and ....

Here is a deal on a nice Bosch you may want to think about. This dealer is tossing in a 10 pack (2 ea of 5) blades with the jigsaw. For $139 plus shipping (use online calculator) you'll be ready to cut away. This is just one of a good many you might want to think about.
          http://www.coastaltool.com/cgi-bin/S...963+1191595216

Comment

That looks like a great price and the bonus blades more than offset shipping cost. It's probably down to this or the Ridgid corded saw.

The only other issue I came up with is the barrel grip versions versus D-grip. How do most knowledgeable users choose between these two very different grips ??

That would also take me to Bosch, Milwaukee or Makita.

Tom B

P.S. <Re. cordless Jigsaw> One mfg tech support person mentioned the benefit of not having the power cord dragging around behind the saw and catching on things as various direction changes are being made on some cuts. ...... interesting point ?
            Last edited by doubtingtom; 10-04-2007, 12:26 PM. Reason: new info

Comment

Most european users seem to prefer the barrel grip, whereas the north americans like the handle. If you have bigger hands, then barrel grip saws are easier to control. On the downside, barrel grip saws are on or off, you can slowly ease on the trigger when you are starting a cut. For that reason alone i prefer the handle type.

As for brand, bosch is best. The 1591 is hands down the best jigsaw money can buy. If you don't want to spend that much, the 1587 is a little dated, but still a very good jigsaw. Bosch also just came out with an entry level model JS5. Haven't used it, but it might be a good option

Stay away from the dewalt DW317. It's a turd. The DW331 is also another good one. As is the milwaukee 6268-21. But like i said, bosch is best.

Comment

Thanks for taking time! I will stay with the D-Grip. The Bosch message is coming through loud and clear for this tool.

Regards,
                Tom B

Comment

I have had my Ridgid for over a year now and it is a great saw.I like the variable Oscillation feature for different wood densities.
                  info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

After sleeping on this issue for the night, I have sorted my choices to two ..... Ridgid R883 (cordless to use with my 24v L-I batts __ I hope they are 3 AHr ) or Bosch 1590 at HD or Coast Tool. I hope there are knowledgeable users out there who can give me a push in terms of how close these might be or if the difference is so great that there is no comparison. I read that the Bosch very highly regarded but have no inputs on the Ridgid cordless jigsaw. I really need to purchase this today for weekend use.

Regards,
                    Tom B
                    Last edited by doubtingtom; 10-05-2007, 11:17 AM. Reason: correction

Comment

I never liked the Ridgid jigsaw, I found them to be way too large. For the price the Bosch 1587 is a fantastic and very capable saw. The only drawback is the blade change is bit of a hassle. The Dewalt 331K is also very good often overlooked saw which I would say is in the same class as the Bosch 1590. I got mine on sale for $119 at HD. I'm glad I found this saw at that price because otherwise I would have never left Bosch. I find it vibrates a lot less than my 1587 which gives a very stable platform to mke accurate cuts. Don't even consider the DW317. That thing is a pile of junk, very poorly constructed with stamped crooked parts.

Comment

I have seen reports about the newest Bosch models over heating and getting too hot to even hold. It doesn't seem to be a wide spread problem but those reports are not all that isolated either.

There's no doubt that Bosch makes a great jigsaw but what bothers me about this situation is that I've yet to see where Bosch has acknowledged that they even have a problem.
                        Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Aaarrrrgghh !!! .... Maybe the 'safe' bet is DeWalt 331K. HD has a MasterCard deal now at 10% discount less another $100. on a tool. 331K would cost me $52. Hard to beat.

Tom B

Comment

Re: Current Bosch input (1590/91)

I contacted Bosch and was told that some earlier runs had excessive grease which resulted in some heating issues. That was both 1590 and 1591. The problem is said to be resolved, but the comment was made that the 1590/91 run hotter .... normally ... than the predecessor 1587. The tech was fairly communicative and not defensive in responding to my inquiry. He was not aware of any notable ongoing problems with these Bosch jigsaws.

FWIW .........

Tom B

Comment

Please go see a Bosch 1590 or 1501 and note the blade guide design. Then look at every other jigsaw you can, including others by Bosch.

I do know someone that's big into remodeling work that has the Dewalt DW331K and it's a nice saw but it doesn't have the blade support that the top models of Bosch have.

I want to see Bosch take the design of the 1590/1591 and go cordless. Not having to deal with a power cord would sure be nice, but the rest of the tool has to be up to the design and quality as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X