Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lithium Ion - battery chart...

Hey all,

I saw a great chart on toologic.com this morning concerning Li - Ion batteries (chemistry type, backwards compatibility, cost, etc)!

I know there was a long thread earlier in the week about the "marketing hype" of certain Power Tool companies vs. the actual performance of the batteries and tools. IMO - it is interesting that the "some" tool companies (DeWalt, Milwaukee, Ridgid, Ryobi) have made their batteries backwards compatible vs. Makita. Makita release some very nice new tools and Li Ion batteries, but the batteries are not backwards compatable w/ the old 18 volt tools!

I have used ever major brand of cordless, and I still own Ryobi, DeWalt, and Makita cordless. I feel it is "stupid" to alienate your "legacy" users "that are locked into a tool system" by changing the battery style for a new battery technology; this excatly what Makita did with their Li Ion release!

DeWalt may be last to the market w/ the Li Ion upgrade, but they have done their homework and will continue to grow their cordless marketshare with the "legacy" users eventually upgrading the batteries packs and purchasing new tools.

FYI - "nano" batteries are supposed to begin shipping on 10/15 and the upgrade kit is approximatley $150.00 (1 battery & 1 charger), with another 2 battery upgrade coming out for the Holiday tool season.

Just my $.02 for a Friday morning,

Ohiohead

Re: Lithium Ion - battery chart...

Based on recent events, I guess one can only place minimum credibility on telephone calls with mfg reps, BUT, a Milwaukee tech support person told me recently that they are planning to make kits available to allow their older cordless tool users to upgrade to L-I (or whatever the technology is at that time) batts. How soon is unknown.

Tom B

Comment

Just curious, which manufacturer is coming out with the "nano" battery you referred to? Sure wish Ridgid would give us some indication of whether or not they will bring to market a 3.0 or high AH 18 volt lithium ion battery. If Dewalt does offer a 3.0 or higher lithium ion battery that fits their nicad tools, they will sell a lot of them. I always see plenty of Dewalt cordless tools for sale at flea markets and tag sales and I'm sure most of them run fine, but buying a charger and new nicads is costly. If Dewalt does the smart thing, these tools will be reborn with the newer, better lithiums. What is Ridgid waiting for???

Comment

If past history is any indicator, Dewalt will slowly phase out 18v nicd packs and eventually the 18v tools will ship with lithium packs same as they did when XRP replaced the old XR and older nicd packs. It's good for us that they are keeping full backwards compatibility since many of use already have plenty of their 18v tools. The only drawback is that the packs are going to be stuck with the old large pod style design in order to fit the tools. They could have possibly redesigned a much smaller pack but it would require tool redesigns. This is basically the route Makita took. They revamped their tools with the LXT set but completely dropped the pod design to make the smaller slide mount packs. They could certainly make pod type lithium packs as well but I guess they prefer customers just rebuy the tools.

Comment

I know DeWalt (a few years ago) wanted to move away from the "1 up" battery design, but with all the batteries and tools out they did not want to upset the customer base and lose market share.

Please remember that almost every tool manufacture has changed their battery style at least 1 time it's cordless line (Makita 3 times, Milwaukee 2 times, DeWalt 1 time, Bosch ?,)

I would also agree that as more tools come out (I hear 2008 is going to be a busy year for new products launchs) that the NiCad's will slowly disappear.

Ohiohead

Comment

It's funny how when I asked Ryobi if they had any plans to develop NiMH or LiIon batteries for their tools I received the following reply:

Ryobi Response: (10/29/2006 01:38)

Dear Ridgider,

Thank you for your purchase of a Ryobi power tool, and we are proud that you have chosen Ryobi for your power tool needs.

The older 18V batteries have 1.5 amp hrs.

There are no plans in the near future to manufacture NiMH batteries.

Best regards,

Sherry T.
            Consumer Response
            One World Technologies, Inc.

And now, their LiIon batteries and tools are out. They've also been listening to their customers, as the new batteries are backward compatible with all their One+ tools. Lucky I kept my old set. Now I can confidently get their dirt-cheap impact driver knowing that LiIon battery technology is available for it!

Comment

Originally posted by Ridgider View Post
              It's funny how when I asked Ryobi if they had any plans to develop NiMH or LiIon batteries for their tools I received the following reply:

Ryobi Response: (10/29/2006 01:38)

Dear Ridgider,

Thank you for your purchase of a Ryobi power tool, and we are proud that you have chosen Ryobi for your power tool needs.

The older 18V batteries have 1.5 amp hrs.

There are no plans in the near future to manufacture NiMH batteries.

Best regards,

Sherry T.
              Consumer Response
              One World Technologies, Inc.

And now, their LiIon batteries and tools are out. They've also been listening to their customers, as the new batteries are backward compatible with all their One+ tools. Lucky I kept my old set. Now I can confidently get their dirt-cheap impact driver knowing that LiIon battery technology is available for it!
              Not trying to "rain on anyones parade", but if you use it daily for work, you will soon find out why its a "dirt cheap" impact driver.

Regards,

Comment

Originally posted by ohiohead View Post
                Hey all,

I saw a great chart on toologic.com this morning concerning Li - Ion batteries
                I am unable to find the chart you mention, could you post a link please?
                Thanks....

Comment

Here you go:

http://http://www.toologics.com/News...071004399.html

ohiohead

Comment

http://www.toologics.com/News/Genera...071004399.html

Comment

Working...
                    X