No announcement yet.

which ridgid planer?

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• which ridgid planer?

I have been reading the various threads on the new ridgid planer. Does anyone have experience with both the ridgid planers?

I am curious if the new planer is actually a better machine, as the older model is well decorated on this forum.

Re: which ridgid planer?

I think unless you get a very good deal on the old one you might as well go with the new model. Its got a few features that make it a lot more competitive with newer high end planers on the market.

I bought the older model for reasons stated in an earlier post. However at this point you may not have much of a choice. The two stores that I frequent are both out of the TP1300, so that may be the case in other areas.

The new model does offer a slightly higher speed and the 3-blade cutter of course. Either way, I'm sure you'd get a great planer.

There is at least one forum member whom I recall got a hold of one, but he has not yet posted a review.

American Woodworker Magazine had a review of planers in the last issue. The R4330 rated an editors choice in the under $400 range. Unfortunately the review was somewhat brief, consisting mostly of specifications rather than user impressions. The only thing the R4330 lacks versus the more expensive planers is a second speed.

I ended up getting the Craftsman which was another editors choice in the over $500 range as I was unable to find the new Ridgid in my area, and I had ultimately decided to get a two speed. But if the Ridgid had been available, it would probably be in my shop right now due to the lower cost.

Last edited by erngum; 10-07-2007, 02:36 AM. Reason: Typos