Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HELP ! .. Right Now I'm a Jigsaw Klutz !!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: HELP ! .. Right Now I'm a Jigsaw Klutz !!

Thanks for the Ridgid cordless update. Now I have heard sufficient comment to make the choice even more difficult. Because the secret to using the jigsaw to cut composite seems to be slow speed (and the proper blade), I am concerned that having the full speed range always available on the Ridgid cordless may make it more difficult to achieve consistent low speeds. On the Bosch or DeWalt, I can set the speed dial to a lower number and then have the lower speed range to 'fine tune' with the trigger control.
    How do you feel about being able to control the low end with the Ridgid 24v trigger control ... with the full 2500 strokes per min available?

Another thing I do like is the 'safety' lock on the Ridgid. I find the D-handle allows me to turn the blade on way too easily when I pick the Bosch up. I assume the DeWalt would be similar.

Tonight and tomorrow I will be doing a lot more stairway trim pieces 1-2 ft rectangles with notches, small triangles, and I should be able to learn more about blade choice and speed selection for the composite deck product.

Yours is the second comment I have received re. using the recip saw for some of this work. I have the new one in the 24v kit and can experiment a bit. I expect I will 'butcher' up a few scrap test pieces.

Regards,
    Tom B
    Last edited by doubtingtom; 10-08-2007, 05:08 PM.

Comment

The cordless models usually don't have a speed control dial, just a variable speed trigger like a drill. You can control the speed but it's a little trickier since you have to keep the trigger pulled just right. The dewalt also tends to be easy to turn on when you pick up the saw. The double finger trigger is pretty easy to activate when picking it up. Come to think of it I'm not a big fan of those large switches.

Comment

You men are terrific and I have learned a great deal in a very short time.

The only choice I now have is to either 'buy into' the Bosch enthusiasm and stay put .... OR .... applaud the great HD and Ridgid return policies and buy the Ridgid to experience exactly how the differences apply to me and to my application of the saw. I will sleep on this one .... but will probably try the Ridgid so I can know for sure. The Bosch is a dang nice jigsaw and will do fine as I learn how to fine tune blade speed and tooth configuration for each application.
        The Ridgid 'safety lock' could be a deciding factor ... I also play the piano !!

Tom B

Comment

Working...
        X