Drill Problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drill Problem

I have a Rigid Battery drill and it will not hold a drill bit or anything Everything falls out. It will not keep anything tight. Is this the way Rigid drills work? It has me frustrated!

Re: Drill Problem

I have the new 24 volt lithium cordless drill which does the same thing... in fact I returned the first one to Home Depot for a replacement because I thought it was defective.

If your drill has an electric brake (which rapidly stops the rotation) this is part of the problem. First make sure that you have properly hand tighthened the bit to the chuck. Next, when you let go of the trigger switch, do so very slowly. This will prevent the electric brake from rapidly stopping the rotation. This should help your chuck release problem... I don't know why Ridgid designed the chuck this way ( electric brake on a saw makes sense to me, but not a drill)... kind of a pain. Good luck!
    Sandy Reinauer

Comment

When you tighten the chuck make sure your hear a few clicks, this is the sound of the 'ratchet' mechanism tightening the carbide teeth onto whatever you put in the chuck. I have never had anything come loose from the chuck, not even when using hammer mode

Comment

I tighten the chuck as much as I can but I never hear the clicks! I have blisters from this drill.I like the drill but this has been the let down from day one.

Comment

If you are not hearing the clicks, I would believe the chuck may be defective.

IF ist less than 90 days old, Home Depot will take it back with no questions asked if you still have the receipt and you can try another one.

Regards,

Comment

Originally posted by sreinauer@hotmail.com View Post
            I have the new 24 volt lithium cordless drill which does the same thing... in fact I returned the first one to Home Depot for a replacement because I thought it was defective.

If your drill has an electric brake (which rapidly stops the rotation) this is part of the problem. First make sure that you have properly hand tighthened the bit to the chuck. Next, when you let go of the trigger switch, do so very slowly. This will prevent the electric brake from rapidly stopping the rotation. This should help your chuck release problem... I don't know why Ridgid designed the chuck this way ( electric brake on a saw makes sense to me, but not a drill)... kind of a pain. Good luck!
            The electric brake is a feature which stops the drill from turning when you release the trigger which stops the tool from overdriving when screwing. With a powerful drill like the 24V LI if it did not have the electric brake you would have a difficult time stopping the screw where you wanted and would overdrive it. A few years ago I used a cheap early model 18V drill without an electric brake feature for driving screws in a deck and had a miserable time controlling how deep I drove the screws because with the high speed of the 18V motor the kinetic energy would allow the screw to keep turning after release of the trigger.
            Experiment: Drive a coated 4" deck screw into a piece of wood at high speed and release the trigger and watch how quickly th electric brake stops it. It is the feature of the electric brake which allows deck contractors or any other professional to drive screws at high speed all day and have precise control of the stopping point.
            Actually my experiance with the 24V LI drill and the 18v LI drill is how well both tools hold small drill bits.
            A word of caution: I was warned that powering the chuck "tight" with the motor as I had done for years would damage the chuck tightening mechanism. The procedure I have used for both of these drills is to power the chuck closed to just the point where the ratchet mechanism begins to engage. I then hand tighten the chuck the rest of the way.
            The chuck can get out of adjustment. See owners manual or take to contractors desk or tool rental at Home Depot. Maybe you're drill is defective and should be replaced.
            Good luck...Ray

Comment

I have had the drill for a year now but it came with a lifetime warranty. This is the best drill I have ever owned. I will send it back and get them to look at it. I need a drill while that one is in the shop I will purchase another. I have owned De Walt drill and they were too heavy and bulky. This is just a defect my son has the same drill and his is perfect.

Comment

No need to send it back it was me. I never knew that you had to tighten it up by hand and listen to the CLICK! After all of the time I spent picking up the drill bit all I had to do was set it and tighten it up by hand and listen to the clicks. Now it works just fine thank you for the help.

Comment

Working...
                X