Ridgid service in Phoenix is lousy!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Reality vs the Spoken Word ........

That's a very thorough list of what a buyer might expect months or years down the line. I feel real empathy for the users making their living with these tools and having to scramble when something fails.
    I'm in a Ridgid 'good deal' box (by my own making) and it would be very tough to bail and go to Makita or Milwaukee for a major reduction in products for = $$ or pay a bunch more for the same items.
    I guess 'Let the Buyer Beware' continues to be the best advice in this 'real world'. I hope Ridgid and HD step up and help those who are not receiving what they were truly promised. I certainly have no false illusions about the same issues possibly occuring with any of the other prominent manufacturers.

Tom B

Comment

Re: Ridgid service in Phoenix is lousy!

Originally posted by markts30 View Post
      I too have dealt with Ridgid cust svc in SCarolina on occasion...
      The rep I dealt with (and who I ask for by name as she is so helpful) is Margaret...
      I don't know if you and her got of to a bad start or what but she was exceptionally helpful to me... (in fact so helpful I wrote a "thank-you" letter to her and CC'd her parent company and her boss)...
      Must be more then one Margaret there. The one I got wouldnt have been nice to me if I had sent her flowers before calling with my problem.

Comment

New update for all those who still think I might be the unreasonable one in this mess...

Took the drill back to Home Cheapo today to have them send it in for service. I asked nicely if I could get a loaner. The first guy said theres no way we can do that. I asked to speak with the manager and explained the whole situation and how dissapointed I was with the way things were going. He said "sorry there's no way I can loan tools out for everytime a Ridgid comes in for repair. My rental pool would be empty." he chuckled. OK. This does not instill any kind of trust in the product period. So I begrudgingly gave them my drill, charger, and a battery.

An hour ago they called me back telling me to come in and pick up my drill because the company they were using to service Ridgid tools (Best Brothers Service) was no longer servicing Ridgid tools, and they had no idea who to send me to! They also wouldnt tell me why they werent servicing Ridgid anymore. I called Best Brothers personally and asked. The woman who answered the phone said she wasnt sure why they had stopped, it was her bosses call, but she did say "We were constantly servicing Ridgid drills for that same problem."

So now it sounds not just like poor customer support from the manufacturer, but also a known defect issue that they dont want to handle.

It just gets better. Maybe we should have a Ridgid Tools motto contest? My vote is for:

Ridgid; The lazy mans tools. They work as often as you want to.

or maybe...

Ridgid; Where dealing with our customer support is only slightly less frustrating then cranking in your screws by hand.

Im heading back up to my tower now to look for customer service reps. Good thing I didnt use Ridgid tools to assemble my rifle.

Comment

Now my advice is give them the hatchet. If I went through all that, you bet I would be taking back everything I could and telling them to ....off. You did what you could, and even went in there with a good attitude and got nothing for help. I applaud you for trying, I am trying to keep faith in H.D. but its not looking good as each month goes bye.
          Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

If it is a known about defect and there are lots of them then maybe it's time for a recall to be issued.

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
              If it is a known about defect and there are lots of them then maybe it's time for a recall to be issued.
              I wouldn't call this a defect but it is a poor design from a robustness standpoint.

I've seen this same issue many tools from many manufacturers. The variable speed potentiometer built into the trigger can't handle the maximum current at very low speed/high load or stall conditions (in these conditions the current can be double to triple what it is during normal operating conditions.)

Many drills weren't designed to operate in a low speed, high torque condition for very long before the pot overheats and fails. The situation is exacerbated when the operator uses the higher speed gear of the drill. I've also seen battery leads melt under these conditions, and motors burn out.

It really isn't good to operate any drill at these near stall conditions for long, but better drills have variable speed pots that can handle more current and safety switches that kill the power in such conditions, to protect the electronics and drill motor.

Comment

Disaster-

I could understand it burning up if I were drilling 3/4" holes in plate steel...but punching 1/4" holes in 3/4" Poplar??? My dead grandma with a hand crank drill could do that...I just didnt want to have to dig her up so I went to Home Cheapo and bought a Ridgid. Next time I will go to Lowes for a shovel instead.

Comment

Originally posted by SiXGuN View Post
                  Disaster-

I could understand it burning up if I were drilling 3/4" holes in plate steel...but punching 1/4" holes in 3/4" Poplar??? My dead grandma with a hand crank drill could do that...I just didnt want to have to dig her up so I went to Home Cheapo and bought a Ridgid. Next time I will go to Lowes for a shovel instead.

hahahhahahaha thats an awful thing to say!

Comment

Originally posted by SiXGuN View Post
                    Disaster-

YOWSA!!! Didn't mean to imply you "abused" your tools. They really shouldn't fail under the conditions you described. Good luck.

P.S. My Grandmother could kick my b_tt and made a kick-_ss chicken stew to boot. In a competition with a drill I'd have to put my money on her.
                    Last edited by Disaster; 10-12-2007, 12:26 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X