X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid service in Phoenix is lousy!

I have a Ridgid cordless drill (18V) that was purchased less then a year ago, and has been used for small projects once every couple weeks. Today the trigger on the drill stopped working. It went from variable speed to 2 speed, full on or nothing. When I called Ridgid to get my local service center, I was informed that Ridgid doesnt have a service center here (in Phoenix. The 6th largest city in the country). They told me to take it to a Home Cheapo here in town and that they would send it to a service center that they "outsource". When I went to Home Cheapo I was told that I needed to bring them not just the drill but a battery pack and my charging unit. I told the guy at the desk "If I give you my charging unit, that means I will have to go buy another one to be able to use the rest of the tools in my kit." (recip saw, jigsaw, etc) He said yes, but "thats how it works. The service center we use does not stock Ridgid equipment for testing of broken tools" To top it off I was told it may be 14 days to a month before I get my stuff back!

I think that is rediculous! My entire garage is wall to wall Ridgid. My table saw, drill press, vac system, band saw....everything is Ridgid. What a huge mistake. The band saw and drill press I just bought a week ago. Those I am going to return to Home Cheapo this weekend. Why buy tools that 1) Dont hold up and 2) cant be serviced locally without hassle.

I called the 888 service number back for a little support and was treated rudely by Margaret (apparently a crabby woman who hates her job) who told me that thats just the way it is. If they require my battery and charger theres nothing they can do about it.

Really? Here's a couple easy options:

1) You use a service center thats properly stocked with the tools to do the job.
    2) If you arent going to supply your service centers with batteries and chargers, you at least give me a discount on having to buy spares for your inadequacies.

Ridgid- In my book you guys lost all credibility today.

Re: Ridgid service in Phoenix is lousy!

I hear your pain and unfortunately this is a problem that has been going on for far too long! In my opinion, it is beyond reason why Ridgid has not stepped up long ago and corrected this situation. The sad thing is that it's not like they don't know about it. About a year or maybe even two years ago we were told on this very forum that Ridgid was looking into this situation and would be correcting this problem. I can't say for certain if any new service centers have been added in that time but I can say that they have added none that are closer to me than what they had two years ago or for that matter 5 years ago when I bought my first Ridgid power tool.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I'm still trying to 'fully' understand the realities of HD and Ridgid service. Is it true that if the HD 'ESP' is purchased with the tool ... they will replace the entire tool/kit/whatever at the store? I just purchased the ESP for $20. when I got the new Bosch jigsaw, and was told that for four (4) years I do not have to deal with Bosch, only bring the tool to HD for full replacement. This is very simple to say and to understand so I have every expectation that this is what I can expect ... Ridgid, Bosch, Makita or ????

I have started to 'depreciate' the value of the Ridgid Lifetime Service for my needs and value it most for my 24v L-I battery ($$$) coverage.

Tom B

Comment

Wow, that does suck! I'm in Phx too and recently bought my very first (and now last) Ridgid tool, a trim nailer. I've been a DeWalt fan for nearly 10 years now mainly because I won most of my tools early on at the "screw offs" they used to have. Plus we have an awesome service center here too.

Hmm, wonder if I could become a Ridgid repair center for the southwest. I"m good with a screwdriver and soldering gun and would actually spring for a few batterys for testing.
        Last edited by The Wood Meister; 10-09-2007, 05:50 PM.
        Congratulations to Mr. "the sky is falling" Al Gore, nominated the new Village Idiot!

Comment

My first Ridgid tool I ever bought (woodworking that is), I asked H.D. where the nearest service center was. It was a good distance away and it takes time, so right away I knew what I was up against.

Then I had a nice chat with a few of the boys there about when a tool breaks, would they loan me another one, during the time my tool will be gone. Not a problem, to this day I still chat with the new guys and get the same response.

So far none of my tools have broke down and in no need of service. Go to your H.D. and ask if they will loan you another one and if they don't, ask for the manager.......

They want your business, but the punks that work there could care less, you know what I mean.........
          Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Garager is right, go and ask for a loaner, if no go, ask for the store manager.

One more thing, dont go in there with an attitude because Ridgid service sucks, That will get you nowhere fast. Home depot does not have an obligation in this situation so be calm and ask in a nice manner.

Regards,

Comment

Thanks for the tip Garager.

I will go ask tomorrow for the loaner. Either way Im with Wood Meister and going back to Dewalt.

I realize it's not 100% HD's responsibility in this matter, however I own a company that builds Audio & Video Systems for theme parks, hotels, resorts, etc, & if I sell 10 plasma TVs to Harrahs and one breaks in a few months, I am damn sure going to stand behind the product I sold them. HD pulls no punches in letting you know that Ridgid is "exclusively available" at Home Depot. Since they put the hard sell on for me to buy that line of tools, they need to step up to the plate too.

As a follow up: I have called Ridgid back to try and get someone above my previous fine customer service rep Margaret, I was on hold for a "superior" for 25 minutes before I gave up.
              Last edited by SiXGuN; 10-09-2007, 07:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SiXGuN View Post
                I think that is rediculous! My entire garage is wall to wall Ridgid. My table saw, drill press, vac system, band saw....everything is Ridgid. What a huge mistake. The band saw and drill press I just bought a week ago. Those I am going to return to Home Cheapo this weekend. Why buy tools that 1) Dont hold up and 2) cant be serviced locally without hassle.
                SixGun I don't want to minimize what you feel right now towards Ridgid but maybe you are overreacting?

Ok so there is no service rep. near you. I get that. There isn't one near me either. So now you are going to hump the new drill press and bandsaw back to Home Depot because a switch is malfuntioning on your 18 volt drill? When the tailight went out on my new Ford I didnt drive it back to the dealership and get a refund so I could buy a Chevy. You have alot of money invested with Ridgid tools and you want to walk away from that for a $2.00 massproduced drill switch? That's a typical knee jerk reaction.

Take a deep breathe and let it go.....ahhh..all better

Comment

I to own a business, I cannot even guess how many drills I own. Buy more drills and you won't get into a jam. If your relying on one drill for a business operation, thats asking for trouble.

I'm sorry for your troubles, like crack basically take a deep breath and give it another shot tomorrow.

Go for a loaner w/a good attitude and if it doesn't work, do what you have to do. But I must say, Ridgid is a good brand for tools. Also, more then likely, if a Dewalt or Porter Cable was to break down, you could just as easily find your self in the same predicament as you did today.
                  Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Plumber-

I hear where you are coming from and appreciate you trying to talk me down from the tower before I start sniping bad customer service reps but... If the tailights go out on my Ford I know where my dealer is and can go get the part I need to fix it. Not to mention the 4000 other auto part stores in town that will also stock the replacement part. So your comparison doesnt really ring true. Also- There are (4) Dewalt Factory stores in town that all have repair centers. One of which is 10 minutes from my house. I let the Home Cheapo guy talk me away from buying Dewalt when I was setting up my garage.

Its the true lack of customer support that has me the most pissed.

Garage-

I have Dewalt Cordless Drills and Saws and Milwaukee Corded Hammer Drills and PortaBands for the company (lots of spares). The Ridgid stuff was my personal use. I never buy anything for the company until I have field tested it myself (specifically for the reasons I am having now). If I send a guy to Dubai for a job, will his tools hold up or die under normal usage?

Comment

When a company, reseller and product doesn't live up to it's responsibilities, and isn't willing it is time to go "around" the system.

First, as you said, make a mental note to not buy any products from these people again.

Second, review their other policies to see if one will work in my favor.

For example, HD has a generous return policy. If they aren't willing to help a customer, perhaps a customer might help themselves buy purchasing a loaner and returning it when they get their tool back.

I know a guy, who couldn't get a faulty computer fixed, after a half a dozen trips to the repair center and countless hours lost. Went so far as to demonstrate the issue to the service tech who said he would...and did fix it. Got it back with the same problem. The guy finally shorted out a bunch of leads on the motherboard. He got his computer replaced.

Most states have lemon laws for cars with two important measurements: How many times it has been "repaired" for the same problem; How much time it has actually spent in the the owners hands, vs. the repair shops. We need similar laws for all consumer products.

I've lost all patience with talking to disrespectful and lazy reps. Life is too short and my time is too valuable.
                      Last edited by Disaster; 10-11-2007, 07:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by doubtingtom View Post
                        I'm still trying to 'fully' understand the realities of HD and Ridgid service. Is it true that if the HD 'ESP' is purchased with the tool ... they will replace the entire tool/kit/whatever at the store? I just purchased the ESP for $20. when I got the new Bosch jigsaw, and was told that for four (4) years I do not have to deal with Bosch, only bring the tool to HD for full replacement. This is very simple to say and to understand so I have every expectation that this is what I can expect ... Ridgid, Bosch, Makita or ????

I have started to 'depreciate' the value of the Ridgid Lifetime Service for my needs and value it most for my 24v L-I battery ($$$) coverage.

Tom B
                        Tom,
                        Let me warn you about my experience with Home Depots ESP program. Upon moving into my new house, I decide to buy all brand new lawn and garden equipment to replace my old stuff. So, I bought a new Ryobi gas weed whacker, new gas blower, new Poulan chainsaw, new lawn mower etc. from Home Depot. I bought the ESP on all of them mostly due to the constant reccomendation of the sales associate. Two additional years of worry free use...just bring the machine in and we will swap it for a brand new one. Great! I thought...it's peace of mind. WRONG! About six months passed and one weekend the throttle cable broke on my blower. No prob, I have the receipt with the ESP info and I even had the original box for the blower. To make a long story short, THEY WILL NOT SWAP OUT FOR A NEW REPLACEMENT! They require that you ship it off to the service center and the service center will determine if it is a manufacture defect. (4-6 weeks I was told by LaKeesha) If it is, then they will repair it, but you have to pay shipping both ways. If it is not a defect, then you must pay for the shipping as well as the repair. I still to this day cannot figure out WHAT exactly the ESP is for or WHY I wasted my money on it. According to "LaKeesha" the ESP is just an extension of the manufactures warranty...it kicks in AFTER the factory warranty runs out, but offers nothing more than what you get with the factory warranty anyway. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON THE ESP!
                        Just my two cents worth...
                        Nick

Comment

Originally posted by SiXGuN View Post
                          I have called Ridgid back to try and get someone above my previous fine customer service rep Margaret, I was on hold for a "superior" for 25 minutes before I gave up.
                          I too have dealt with Ridgid cust svc in SCarolina on occasion...
                          The rep I dealt with (and who I ask for by name as she is so helpful) is Margaret...
                          I don't know if you and her got of to a bad start or what but she was exceptionally helpful to me... (in fact so helpful I wrote a "thank-you" letter to her and CC'd her parent company and her boss)...

Comment

Originally posted by Home Improvement Solution View Post
                            Tom,
                            Let me warn you about my experience with Home Depots ESP program. ... <edit> ...I bought the ESP on all of them mostly due to the constant reccomendation of the sales associate. Two additional years of worry free use...just bring the machine in and we will swap it for a brand new one. Great! I thought...it's peace of mind. WRONG! About six months passed and one weekend the throttle cable broke on my blower. No prob, I have the receipt with the ESP info and I even had the original box for the blower. To make a long story short, THEY WILL NOT SWAP OUT FOR A NEW REPLACEMENT! ... <edit> ...
                            I still to this day cannot figure out WHAT exactly the ESP is for or WHY I wasted my money on it. According to "LaKeesha" the ESP is just an extension of the manufactures warranty...it kicks in AFTER the factory warranty runs out, but offers nothing more than what you get with the factory warranty anyway. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON THE ESP!
                            Just my two cents worth...
                            Nick
                            I much appreciate this comment and will have a 'professional' chat with my local HD store manager. HD must be very careful with this sort of 'black and white' statement (made often and before witnesses) or they will incur one or more massive lawsuits and damaging negative publicity. Their statements about the consumer not having to deal with the manufacturer is at odds completely with your experience.

Regards,
                            Tom B.

Comment

Originally posted by doubtingtom View Post
                              I much appreciate this comment and will have a 'professional' chat with my local HD store manager. HD must be very careful with this sort of 'black and white' statement (made often and before witnesses) or they will incur one or more massive lawsuits and damaging negative publicity. Their statements about the consumer not having to deal with the manufacturer is at odds completely with your experience.

Regards,
                              Tom B.
                              Always ask for a hard copy of these warranty policies. The employees are often pushed to sell them because they are very high margin. Too often, that leads to exaggerations and outright lies. I have called Best Buy employees more than once on what they said the policy covered vs. what was written in the actual policy. If you want to have some real fun try to get them to put down in writing their promises and get a manager to sign it. Most of the time, the warranties aren't worth the paper they are written on.

Unfortunately, when it comes time to honor the warranty, they will follow what is written in the policy, not your recollection of what was promised. It doesn't give you much legal ground to stand on. Heck, most of the times the employee that sold you the warranty won't even be there when you get around to using it.

Some of the other "tricks" I've seen employed in these "extra" warranties.

1. Not honoring the extra warranty until the actual manufacturer's warranty expires.
                              2. Requiring the warranty holder to send the product back to the manufacturer first...at owner's expense.
                              3. Requiring the warranty holder to send the product off to some 3rd party company for repair or estimate...at owner's expense.
                              4. Replacing product with a "like product" that isn't as good, or prorating the item and requiring the customer to pay the difference.
                              5. Unreasonably long wait periods....weeks to months, while they evaluate the problem, or wait for parts.
                              6. Claiming the issue was caused by owner misuse and therefore not covered.
                              7. Requiring everything back...original box...batteries...and then losing something during the process....and then arguing that they never received it (You really didn't need that power supply and cord did you?)
                              8. Requiring, almost always in small print) annual, or semi-annual cleaning service or inspection (only by their approved source), sometimes free...sometimes with a charge. If you miss an inspection the warranty in void. Often the inspection requires, at a minimum, shipping or travel costs and being without the item for weeks while they "service" it.
                              9. Losing the entire item or item and original warranty card. Then requiring information that you sent in to "process" your claim.
                              10. Offloading the warranty to a third party warranty company that does all the things mentioned.
                              Last edited by Disaster; 10-10-2007, 10:30 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X