X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery Questions

I know batteries have been exhaustively discussed recently but my questions are what is the large 18v li-ion pictured next to the 24v on the boxes of various tools?? I haven't seen any 18v or 24v LI-ion batteries for sale except in a 24v starter kit w/charger for 149.00. With the max-select program Ridgid is pushing so hard I would think all batteries would be available to mix and match what the user wants and can afford to expand on their already exsisting kits. Is Ridgid going to offer Li-ions batteries like all the other Nicads for us users who already own a complete 24v kit but want more Li-ion batteries of various sizes or voltages. If it is a matter of Home Depot not wanting to carry stock why not have a direct order link or phone # just like ordering replacement parts direct from Ridgid. Thanks for any help

Re: Battery Questions

That is a good question. Ridgid has been pretty mum about future plans. Home Depot, has been pretty bad about keeping Ridgid tools and accessories in stock, especially batteries. Someone mentioned trying to special order the 24 volt battery and being told they could but it would cost something like $120!!! Makes me wonder, if they ever do come out with a larger 18 volt lithium, if we'll even be able to buy it or want to.

Comment

I emailed Ridgid and asked when just the batteries would be available, and this is the answer I got:

"Ridgid Max-Select tools can use either Ridgid 18V or 24V batteries, both of which can be obtained through your local Home Depot. If a particular battery is not in stock at the store level, their special services desk can assist with ordering them for you."

The Home Depot's that I've checked have not had either lithium battery in stock. I haven't tried ordering one yet. I did find one of the online venders had just the 24V for sale, but they wanted something like $150 for it.

Comment

My HD 'special order' quote (24v) was for $187.50 and 8-12 weeks delivery. This Ridgid/HD program really needs some major upgrade or this business will default rapidly to other manufacturers. I am well within my 90 return period and am still looking very hard at a swap for the Makita alternative.

Tom B
        Last edited by doubtingtom; 10-10-2007, 11:50 AM. Reason: error

Comment

Jeesh...I guess I recalled low. $150, or $187 is insane for a single 24 volt battery. Fortunately, you can buy batteries and tools, individually on Ebay. Unfortunately, that means you give up the lifetime warranty.

Comment

Hopefully the price will go down if they start to carry it in stock. HD usually charges more for anything you have to speacial order. Around $100 would be ok, especially if you can register it for free replacement. I would rather pay a little extra and get the lifetime replacement, which is one of the reasons for buying ridgid in the first place, than to buy on ebay.

Comment

The battery situation with Ridgid is a frustrating one. I've been complaining on several of these threads and Josh said he was going to inquire if and when a higher AH 18volt lithium would be offered for sale. I know many of us have bought multiple Ridgid 18 or 24 volt kits in order to get extra batteries and end up with tools we don't need. Sure would be nice for us and also generate income for Ridgid if Home Depot sold separate 18 and 24 volt lithiums and chargers. I'm glad that Josh is looking into all this. but maybe his bosses need to spend some time on this site. These big shots need to read what we the consumers want in the way of service, tools and accessories. There is no shortage of competition, and if Ridgid keeps napping they will lose out to Dewalt or some other company. Please, get those higher AH 18 volt lithiums and 24 volt batteries and chargers on the shelves. Clean the dust off the old tools kits and get new ones in stock, this is your business and you are letting it slip away.

Comment

Something strange is going on with LI batteries for all manufacturers. After noticing that Home Depot did not stock any extra LI batteries for Ridgid I checked to see if they carried inventory for any of the brands. They don't carry extra LI batteries for any of the other mfgrs. No DeWalt, Makita, Bosche, or Milwaukee extra LI batteries.
                Checked at Lowes and it is the same situation. With the single exception of Hitachi Lowes does not carry LI batteries for any of the other brands of LI tools they sell. I haven't done a detailed check of all the places that sell Makita and DeWalt but have looked at a few and I have not found a single dealer of DeWalt or Makita that carry extra LI batteries.
                Maybe all the tool LI battery manufacturing is being used for new tools and they haven't generated enough inventory to start stocking extra batteries.
                Last edited by roadrashray; 10-10-2007, 08:30 PM.

Comment

I did find a place that had makita 18v lithium batteries for $99. But they are all very hard to find.

Comment

Originally posted by roadrashray View Post
                    Something strange is going on with LI batteries for all manufacturers. After noticing that Home Depot did not stock any extra LI batteries for Ridgid I checked to see if they carried inventory for any of the brands.
                    I think the high replacement cost of lithiums is why you don't see them in stock. People balk at paying $100 or more for a spare battery so the stores don't sell many of them. They don't stock what doesn't sell.

Another thing that reduces demand is the robustness of Lithium batteries. They can handle more charge cycles and don't die if forgotten in the basement. Customers are less apt to replace them.

It will be interesting to see what Ryobi charges for it's Lithium batteries. They sell their NiCds for $30, $20 if you buy a pair....half to 1/3rd what other companies sell their replacement batteries for. If they can bring their lithiums in at likewise discounted rates they will sell a ton of them.

Comment

I went to H/D yesterday to see if I could buy the new Ryobi lithiums and charger separately, no good only available in the new kit. I have a feeling in the next couple of months these batteries and new charger will be available separate from the full tool kit. Here again is an opportunity for Ridgid to step in with a nice wall display of Lithium ion batteries ranging from 12 volts on up to 24 and maybe two different chargers for them. Finally customers could go down one aisle and pick and choose the max select tools they want and then buy whatever batteries and chargers they need. Guys like myself will be there picking up 12, 14.4 and 18 volt lithiums and chargers for our current Ridgid tools. Sounds like a win for Ridgid and the consumer. What do you think Ridgid? Any chance you can give the consumer what we want before we switch brands? At the very least communicate with us and give us some explanations of your thought process?

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                        I went to H/D yesterday to see if I could buy the new Ryobi lithiums and charger separately, no good only available in the new kit. I have a feeling in the next couple of months these batteries and new charger will be available separate from the full tool kit. Here again is an opportunity for Ridgid to step in with a nice wall display of Lithium ion batteries ranging from 12 volts on up to 24 and maybe two different chargers for them. Finally customers could go down one aisle and pick and choose the max select tools they want and then buy whatever batteries and chargers they need. Guys like myself will be there picking up 12, 14.4 and 18 volt lithiums and chargers for our current Ridgid tools. Sounds like a win for Ridgid and the consumer. What do you think Ridgid? Any chance you can give the consumer what we want before we switch brands? At the very least communicate with us and give us some explanations of your thought process?
                        That would be great. I'd definitely pick up a 9.6v, 12v, and 18v lithium and charger if it was available for a non-outrageous price.

By the way, I'm waiting, not so patiently for the Ryobi lithiums to sell alone or in a smaller set.

Comment

I was in HD today and they have started to carry the 18V makita lithium batteries by themselves. I'm really hoping Ridgid will follow suit quickly.

Comment

I was checking out a few websites today and found a little info for DeWalt and Ryobi. According to Ryobi's website, their lithium batteries will be available in HD by 11/1/07, but I couldn't find a price. Also found a website that was going to carry a DeWalt charger and 18V battery( part# DC9180c). They even had a price. Only $210.68!!!! That's only $60 less than what I paid for my 3pc Ridgid 24V kit. You could also choose the battery by itself for $174.67. Website was BuilderDepot.com. I also found a place that had 28 and 18 volt Milwaukee lithium batteries. I think it was ToolServe.com
                            Last edited by Hottrodd; 10-12-2007, 11:45 PM.

Comment

I'm waiting for an e-mail reply to a question I made on the Dewalt site. I asked what was the AH of their new 18 volt nano battery the 9180 and were they going to market a stronger one? Haven't heard back yet. Should be interesting what Ryobi wants for those batteries and charger seperate from the whole kit? The price you got for the Dewalt batteries and charger were no great deal considering you got two batteries, charger and tools with the Ridgid kit! I'm still hoping Ridgid steps up and markets seperate higher AH lithiums for 12, 14.4 and 18 volt tools. I'd like to get some of their top management and walk them around Home Depot and ask them just what the heck they're waiting for considering the competition has their individual products there already? I like my Ridgid 18 volt tools, just give me those higher AH Lithiums and I'll go away.

Comment

Working...
                              X