X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 9.6v pivoting screwdriver

I just picked up a 9.6v pivoting screwdriver (r81030) on clearance @HD for $59. While I realize its relatively lightweight in terms of performance, for odd jobs around the house(my real tools are in a detached garage) I thought it might come in handy. Anyone out there have any first hand experience with this product? Is it worth holding onto or just a misallocation of $50? Comments and opinions appreciated.
    there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Re: 9.6v pivoting screwdriver

i have one and it is surprisingly powerful. definately worth keeping

Comment

If you don't already have something like the Bosch PS20, I'd keep it. If you've already got a Bosch, consider returning it and put the $59 toward something else. $59 is a decent price for the Ridgid though. As far as cordless screwdrivers go, I think its one of the best ones out there.

I received one of these free with an air nailer promo. It practically replaced my drill for driving screws and pilot holes. Ryobi makes an inexpensive hex shank drill bit set which I find very useful.

I later got a Bosch on sale, but I still keep the Ridgid out because it is more powerful, and will drive longer screws that the Bosch cannot. HD usually does not stock extra batteries for it. But I've checked Ridgid parts and it is readily available by mail order. I've never needed another battery though since it recharges in twenty min. or less.

Hope that helps,
      Ern
      Last edited by erngum; 10-10-2007, 06:24 PM. Reason: spell check

Comment

Like Erngum,

I got one of these in a Ridgid Finish Nailer Combo. My first thoughts were that it might prove useful for light-duty projects. I also was a bit surprised by it's power and I do like the versatility of being able to straighten the thing out and reach into areas that would be difficult with a conventional drill/driver.

It's a handly little tool, so don't hesitate to get some use out of it. Also, sign up for that LLSA, by registering it online and then sending in the required information. That will keep you good order for years to come.

CWS

Comment

I also got mine with a nail gun promo. I keep it around and use it all the time for basic work including electrical boxes and other simple screwing activities. I did not have much luck with drilling very large holes or driving screws into something hard and/or often. But nice to have around for the basic stuff.
          Still enjoying all 10 fingers!

Comment

Nail gun promo also, but I was more excited about the pivot driver. I use mine to fasten the boots on the end of drawer runners when installing new drawers. I put a long extension on it and can place the screw right where I want it while laying on my back on the floor and reaching into a drawer opening. I love it. It is like a magic wand.

I have never used it for drilling and seldom use it for anything but the application I just described but if it broke I'd get another one. I would even consider getting another one if I see it a HD for $59, (though my girl would use it to fasten my coffin lid if I did)
            A good carpenter makes few mistakes, a great carpenter can fix his own.

Comment

Thanks for the initial feedback. how does it handle drilling holes? I just charged the battery and it seems to turn at an rpm much slower than my ridgid 18v hammer drills. can it drill holes in 2x4 stock at 530 rpm? again, comments appreciated.
              there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Originally posted by FINER9998 View Post
                Thanks for the initial feedback. how does it handle drilling holes? I just charged the battery and it seems to turn at an rpm much slower than my Ridgid 18v hammer drills. can it drill holes in 2x4 stock at 530 rpm? again, comments appreciated.
                It will handle 2x4's just fine. I've even used a 1" spade bit in pine (was just playing with it). I think that for through holes, 3/8" is around its limit for a clean hole. The key is using sharp bits. I hit my countersinks with a diamond hone to keep them sharp so they are less likely to skip. At only 530 rpm's, you must resist the urge to apply too much pressure and just let the bit work.

It sounds like you'll be hanging on to it then. You won't be disappointed, and I think you'll find yourself using it out in the shop more often then leaving it in the house. I think you need to head back to HD and pick up another!

Enjoy,
                Ern

Comment

It will drill small holes for sure, but really you need a much higher RPM for most hole drilling. I haven't really tried the tool as a drill, I have other tools that are designed for that purpose.

CWS

Comment

Originally posted by FINER9998 View Post
                    Thanks for the initial feedback. how does it handle drilling holes? I just charged the battery and it seems to turn at an rpm much slower than my ridgid 18v hammer drills. can it drill holes in 2x4 stock at 530 rpm? again, comments appreciated.
                    Electric screwdrivers are geared for torque, not drilling speed. That is why they can drive screws that would stall a much larger drill. However, this yields slow rpms and makes them a poor substitute for a drill. The slow speed also helps with control when driving screws.

The Ridgid 9.6 volt scredriver is a beast...in size and power. The size and weight of it are my biggest issue with it. I'd use it more if it was lightweight like the Bosch driver.

Comment

I also have the R81030, pivoting screwdriver and like it a lot. The only problem I have is trying to locate a 9.6v replacemnt battery for this unit. I was told by Home Depot that they do not and probably will not carry this battery pack and that there was no replacement that could be used. One store even told me that the battery pack was discontinued. I've asked Ridgid to verify this,but they have not seen fit even to answer my request and don't show this battery pack in their site. I've even searched the web without success. Can anyone help?

Comment

Originally posted by Rob Frank View Post
                        I also have the R81030, pivoting screwdriver and like it a lot. The only problem I have is trying to locate a 9.6v replacemnt battery for this unit....Can anyone help?
                        Your best bet might be to just buy another one if you can find one in stock somewhere. If I recall they were selling at HD for $60 bucks. I bet, even if you could buy a battery, it wouldn't be much cheaper than that.

Comment

I use that screwdriver as my main one. Even though I have a 12v Dewalt hanging right next to it. I always reach for that nice pivot driver. It's lighter than the Dewalt, and has all the power I need for most jobs, without overstressing screws and joints.

As for batteries...I'm thinkin that it'd be a good idea to get a second one just to get the spare batt's. When I got mine, it came with two, so I'm ok for now.
                          I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

I've got the same one, but I also have two batteries. I registered this tool for the LLSA and so battery replacement shouldn't be a problem. This happens to be my favorite screwdriver too. Have the others, but always reach for this one as it's so controllable and does a wide range of jobs. Hope you find the batteries. Is yours under the lifetime deal. Or, at the very least, maybe you're within the three year warranty. Much luck in locating a battery.

Comment

Just checked on ebay and they have a new 9.6 volt for sale for a out $25 on a buy it now. I didn't know how to capture the link or I'd have put it on here for you, but I just punched up 9.6 volt Ridgid battery and it came up. No LLSA, but a battery none the less.

Comment

Working...
                              X