I am Number 17

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am Number 17

That's the number Mr. Swords designated me as he stated he has 16 previous like me that can deal strictly with him. He claims to be the Director of Service Operations for Ridgid. He did send me a new reciprocating saw which was nice. What was not nice was his hire, Tom C., that was not only NOT helpful, but detrimental in 'serving' my needs under warranty. When the service center closed after having my saw for over 3 months and sent it back to me in pieces, Tom C., on-line service rep for Ridgid, after a week of correspondence, informed me there was nothing further he could do. Marianne, the person I spoke to when I finally called Ridgid, asked if I could take it to a different service center. The next closest place on Ridgid's website listed another place out of town. I called them and they didn't service any Ridgid products. When I called Marianne back and asked for her supervisor and was told I would most likely be called back within 30 minutes, I received no call. None. Looking at Emerson's website, I fired off an email to the number four man from the CEO (he was the only guy that had an email address). Next day, Mr. Swords called me and now I have a new saw. Perserverance pays but had I to do the whole thing over again, I'd probably have stuck with DeWalt. This service crap from Ridgid just ain't worth it!!!!! Mr. Swords didn't ask me but I'd say, dictate new policy, clean house and start over.... It makes me wonder how many other poor slobs received the same treatment and finally just gave up. Lucky #17.....??

Re: I am Number 17

Congrats on finally getting your tool. It is a shame you had to go through so much to get it.

I agree with you. Ridgid needs to fix their service system.

I recall, sometime last year Home Depot claimed it was going to "clean up" it's act. They even published an email address for suggestions. Everyone received the same form letter email back who responded to it. That was the only effect I've seen. Same service at stores. Sad.

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com...etYouDown.aspx

wehearyou@homedepot.com

If Ridgid would do this, and then actually follow-up with customers and attempt to make real changes.....bahhh...gotta stop deluding myself.

Comment

I agree, the "service" with Ridgid is probably it's weakest point and it definitely needs to get some upper management attention. One of the problems that I see is that the telephone support center (Customer Support, Technical Support, and the phone-in Parts Center) all appear to be the same center for Craftsman, Ridgid, and Ryobi; and, they seemingly have little or nothing to do with the "authorized service centers", which are independantely owned and operated.

Add to that, the confusion over 'who does what', and the apparent situation where Home Depot is often cited at being part of the service problem. I have yet to find a "link" that says Home Depot has any responsibility for servicing any of the products that it sells, especially tools.

Also confusing is Emerson Electric's "Ridgid" in all this. Whose management is overseeing the "Ridgid" power tool service operations... Ridgid (Emerson), or Ridgid (TTI). The tools are all made and marketed by TTI... or are they? I know that TTI is the manufacturer, but Emerson's "Ridgid" is the manager of this web site, isn't it???

It would be nice to know some of these answers and especially hear it from a responisble official at Ridgid!

Personally, I have liked most of the Ridgid and Ryobi brand tools that I have purchased, but the service problem is a bit scary, especially when I read the continueing problems that are posted.

Regarding Mr. Swords and Mr. Clinkscales, I don't know either of their "positions". I had the impression that Ernie Swords (the name I recall in earlier correspondance) was a supervisor or manager in Customer Service and that Tom Clinkscales was his counterpart at Ryobi. Mr. Clinkscales had a reputation for being the "goto" guy, when you had a problem with a Ryobi tool. Now that it appears he is involved in Craftsman, Ridgid, and Ryobi service operations, he appears to be less informed and perhaps a bit stretched. I say that, not in offense, but from the experience of my last couple of E-box inquiries, in which his answers were quick, but not particularly helpful (the last being that the Ridgid 2900 router was not designed for or intended to be used in a router table.... That left me wondering why that "above the table" adjustment feature was touted???)

So, does anybody from Ridgid (Emerson), or Ridgid (TTI) have anything to offer on these continueing "Service Problems"? I'd ask Home Depot, but I already have too many stories from there!

CWS

Comment

I tried to post a response to this thread but for some reason it did not appear. Well, here goes again. In my opinion if upper management is bothered by this sort of complaint, there are serious problems that need to be addressed and corrected. Customer 17 deserved a new tool and a gift certificate for his trouble. All customers should be number 1. Prompt repair or exchange of defective tools and honoring of warrantees help build a good reputation with the people who buy and use your tools. If I could talk to the people at the top of Ridgid I would invite them to visit a Home Depot store with me and view the poor selection of cordless tools and accessories. I would ask them if they are at ease sitting behind closed doors, or if they want to build a strong and growing business with new and repeat customers? I care enough to make these comments and would like to know if Ridgid cares enough to not only respond but act on them? I think they need to get product demonstrators into the stores and on the jobsites, conduct some giveaways and other gimicks to spark interest. I think they need to get those lithium ion batteries of all voltages and chargers into the stores and into the hands of the people who want and need them before Dewalt and others do! Please Ridgid get going, time is a wasting!

Comment

Windowman-

Any chance you have a number for this contact at Ridgid? I have been getting the run around on getting a service "supervisor" that can tell me how to get my cordless drill fixed.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Comment

Originally posted by SiXGuN View Post
            Windowman-

Any chance you have a number for this contact at Ridgid? I have been getting the run around on getting a service "supervisor" that can tell me how to get my cordless drill fixed.

Thanks in advance for any help!
            try 800-218-5833.... ask for ernie and tell him I sent you. Those other folks were not only NOT helpful, it is a though they are there to aggravate you and exacerbate the situation. Oh.... and good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Windowman View Post
              try 800-218-5833.... ask for ernie and tell him I sent you. Those other folks were not only NOT helpful, it is a though they are there to aggravate you and exacerbate the situation. Oh.... and good luck!
              Thanks Window!

I called him this morning and left a message. I will post back as soon as I get a response.

Comment

Window-

YOU ARE THE MAN! Just heard back from Mr Swords. He is getting me taken care of immediately as well as making calls to the local Home Cheapo to find out why they sent me to the wrong Ridgid service center here in Phoenix. Apparently they now use a company called Altaquip to repair their items here and the HD I was originally referred to by Ridgid service was unaware of this. He also said he would look into the issue of my original Ridgid customer service rep being "miss unpleasant".

A few thoughts from here:
                1. It is nice that EVENTUALLY I got to someone that knows how to deal with good customers, but without Windows help this would not have been possible.
                2. Mr Swords has made me an offer that definitely makes up for all the time I have wasted, but they would not had to go to that expense if the people lower on the chain had more correct answers and a better attitude.
                3. I now have a direct number to someone that can make stuff happen, so I am more inclined to do business with Ridgid again... I wont swear to it yet... but definitely feel a little better about the company.

Comment

Well, I'd say don't hold your breath because when I bought my MSUV a couple years ago Mr. Tom C was there and I see he is still there. So I doubt he is going anywhere. I had a tough time getting any action out of him after the initial contact for a part which had a manufacturing defect right out of the box. I think it took me like 4 months (maybe more) or emails and phone calls to get that stinking part. Nothing happened until I emailed HD, RIDGID, and TTI and complained about the slow response. At that time others were talking of the same slow action from CS. If they didn't clean house then why would they do so now?

Nice to see someone there is making things happen. However, you shouldn't have to literally go to the top to get a response for an issue like this.

On a scale of 1 to 10 I give RIDGID CS (the woodworking tools side anyway) a big fat ZERO, sorry but its true. I don't care if you are trying to handle 2 billion CS calls a day, that just means you need to make better quality products to begin with and hire more people to handle the volume of calls you fielding (or should I say dodging).
                  "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

Comment

Working...
                  X