Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What about new Milwaukee Kit _0824-24P at HD?

This seems like a great kit at the $299. price point. The recent B&W Makita alternative kit at $269. is so much smaller and lighter, but it's so new that durability seems unknown.

How do you experienced pros sort out these two very interesting kits? The extra $30. for Milwaukee is also diluted a bit with the included 1/4" drive kit.

Tom B

Re: What about new Milwaukee Kit _0824-24P at HD?

Well, I answered my own questions. The batteries are as big as the Ridgid 24v batts and weigh almost as much. No 'Made in USA' in this kit ... China and Thailand. Some websites offer competitive prices, free shipping, no tax (for me) and a Milwaukee Drive Set .... HD does not. Milwaukee support says it was a dealer promotion, but it shows up as a line item and part of the kit. The rep insults ones intelligence by stating that it was offered if dealers purchased sufficient volume. Can you imagine a single dealer ordering anywhere near HD's volume? Kit went back and Makita B&W kit or Bosch 10.8v L-I is most likely final choice. These power tool purchase decisions are tedious at best.

Tom B

Comment

Do you know the number of the Makita kit you have in mind?

http://www.makita.com/menu.php?pg=pr...t&tag=cl_combo

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
        Do you know the number of the Makita kit you have in mind?
        It is LCT200W and the compact, lightweight tools seem very attractive for many homeowner needs.

Tom B

Comment

The Makita kit is a compact set and not comparable to the Milwaukee which are their full sized tools. For a fair comparison you'd have to compare to Makita's LXT set which is $400.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...ctId=100487080

The Milwaukee V18 tools are actually 20 volt tools. They use 4 volt Lithium-Maganese cells. I've read lots of good stuff about them. If I didn't already have the Ridgid 24 volt tools I'd jump on this offer...especially because the batteries are compatible with the entire, extensive, 18 volt Milwaukee tool lineup. $300 for that drill and impact driver plus batteries and charger is a heck of a deal. Before this package deal the drill alone cost $300 or more.

Looks like it is a bit more expensive online, but you get a drill kit. Does the HD deal include a case that holds both tools like this Ebay sale? That would be a nice plus. Seems like the online deals only include a case for the drill.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Milwaukee-08...QQcmdZViewItem

Last edited by Disaster; 10-12-2007, 08:50 AM.

Comment

The Milwaukee kit at one of my local HD's is exactly as your pic shown. It does not include the drive kit and is $299, the same price as the V18 drill previously cost alone. The other local HD does not have this kit yet. I agree it is a solid combo, just too heavy duty for my needs (as the Ridgid 24v is as well). Ridgid's 3pc kit just went back to its earlier $379. price and they have a bunch in stock. With the free 14.4v Impact Driver it is a fair deal, but not what it was at the recent $269. kit price. I would now opt for the Milwaukee and wonder what HD is thinking by pushing the Ridigid price back up by $110.
            I understand marketing strategies, but this sort of thing creates distrust which now causes me to double check every pricing at other outlets prior to buying a tool or kit from HD.

I fully recognize the less substantial nature of the B&W Makita kit, but I saw the Impact Driver demonstrated and it was in use all day at HD installing heavy steel shelving and displays. It is amazing !!! ... and at 1.5 AHr batt rating too !!

Tom B

Tom B

Comment

Originally posted by doubtingtom View Post
              I agree it is a solid combo, just too heavy duty for my needs (as the Ridgid 24v is as well).
              Tom B
              The Milwaukee V18(20 volt) kit compares pretty favorably to the Ridgid 24 volt set. The Ridgid has a bit more power...and weight (unfortunately), but the Milwaukee has a better name and a much larger lineup of tools that work on the V18 batteries.

Ridgid's 3pc kit just went back to its earlier $379. price and they have a bunch in stock. With the free 14.4v Impact Driver it is a fair deal, but not what it was at the recent $269. kit price. I would now opt for the Milwaukee and wonder what HD is thinking by pushing the Ridigid price back up by $110.
              I understand marketing strategies, but this sort of thing creates distrust which now causes me to double check every pricing at other outlets prior to buying a tool or kit from HD.
              Tom B
              It seems large retailers, like HD and Best Buy are always playing these pricing games. If you are patient, and stay informed, you can get some good deals. If you are busy and just want to go in and buy a something for a fair price, it can be frustrating....especially when you see someone else post how they got the same thing for $100 cheaper a month ago....or the next week....a lot like airline ticket prices too.

I fully recognize the less substantial nature of the B&W Makita kit, but I saw the Impact Driver demonstrated and it was in use all day at HD installing heavy steel shelving and displays. It is amazing !!! ... and at 1.5 AHr batt rating too !!
              Tom B
              As far as compact tools go, the Makita kit is very nice. I'm a bit concerned with the one post, believe it was in this forum, where a guy said his friend had gone through 3 1.5Ah Makita batteries. Despite the battery "leakage" issue, with the Ridgid 24 volt batteries, I haven't had one failure yet....and they have a lifetime warranty.

Comment

P.S. During the holidays last year HD had some amazing deals on Ridgid 18 volt kits. These were two tool kits with Max2.5 Ah batteries for $137, if I recall. They coupled the drill with either a jigsaw, or circular saw.

Before that they had a deal on the 4 piece 24 volt kit...just over $300. They had the 24 volt drill, charger and batteries for $150. Then there was the 18 volt planer for $79 bucks...if I recall, someone ran into one for even cheaper later....$49. They cleared out the 9.6v cordless screwdrivers for $79. They sold the Finish and Brad nailer kits, with the cordless screwdriver for $120.

Some of these deals must come from some special promotions with Ridgid. Others come when a manufacturer (like Ridgid) releases a new set and the old one goes on clearance (as was the case with the 4 piece 24 volt set.)

Some people make regular runs to the stores to see what might be on clearance. Perhaps this is what HD is hoping for....keeping their customers coming back to the store regularly...once in the store, maybe they'll buy something else.
                Last edited by Disaster; 10-12-2007, 01:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Disaster View Post
                  P.S. During the holidays last year HD had some amazing deals on Ridgid 18 volt kits. These were two tool kits with Max2.5 Ah batteries for $137, if I recall. They coupled the drill with either a jigsaw, or circular saw.

Before that they had a deal on the 4 piece 24 volt kit. They had the 24 volt drill, charger and batteries for $150. Then there was the 18 volt planer for $79 bucks...if I recall, someone ran into one for even cheaper later....$49. They cleared out the 9.6v cordless screwdrivers for $79.

Some of these deals must come from some special promotions with Ridgid. Others come when a manufacturer (like Ridgid) releases a new set and the old one goes on clearance (as was the case with the 4 piece 24 volt set.)

Some people make regular runs to the stores to see what might be on clearance. Perhaps this is what HD is hoping for....keeping their customers coming back to the store regularly...once in the store, maybe they'll buy something else.

Many thanks for this and your ongoing helpful comments. I will avoid 'hijacking' this thread but want to note that I feel Ridgid has some fine power tools to offer for my needs and I will continue to review them as new tools are planned. I did have a thorough talk with one local HD store manager regarding warranty service, Ridgid's Lifetime Service, and the HD ESP program. I now feel that I understand what the coverages are and will be prepared to act accordingly. I do not like some of the requirements (like sending in the entire 'kit' when a component piece fails), but now my expectations are set and I will not go though unnecessary frustratoion and complaining if the situation arises.

Thanks for helping,
                  Tom B

Comment

Working...
                  X