X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Table Saws

Hi all,I'm looking to purchase my 1st table saw. It will need to be portable. I don't have a shop at home. I'm not going to be building cabinets or anything,just simple on the jobsite ripping and so forth. Would really like something that i could mount my router in later to try some new projects.(If this is possible) I know lots of you have great ideas and i wanted to hear some. Thanks
    I forgot to add a price range..Don't have more than about $250 USD

Re: Table Saws

For the amount of money that you have available to spend I think your best bang for your dollar would be to look for a used saw. Ridgid, DeWalt and others offer job site saws that will what you're looking for in a table saw. You could find some lesser quality new saws for $250 but they won't give you the results that I think you're after.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Thx BD, i've been eyeing 1 in the classifieds.

Comment

Take a look at the portable craftsman model 21829 at sears. It is a clone of the bt3100 from Ryobi with a mobile base. It has gotten excellent reviews, very accurate and can mount a router in the table. For reviews check Bt3central.com and search for the model. I previously owned the 3100 and it was an excellent saw very versatile and even comes with a sliding miter table. It's on sale for 350.00 which is a little more than you wanted to spend. However you would be getting a brand new saw versus a used saw with no warranty. Check it out it may be what you need. Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by alexc2323 View Post
          Take a look at the portable craftsman model 21829 at sears. It is a clone of the bt3100 from Ryobi with a mobile base. It has gotten excellent reviews, very accurate and can mount a router in the table. For reviews check Bt3central.com and search for the model. I previously owned the 3100 and it was an excellent saw very versatile and even comes with a sliding miter table. It's on sale for 350.00 which is a little more than you wanted to spend. However you would be getting a brand new saw versus a used saw with no warranty. Check it out it may be what you need. Good luck

This is true. I have used this saw recently and it is pretty good. The fence is a step up from the awful ones you get with the bottom end bench top models. I have also used the Ryobi version recently and I can't say whether it is from age of the saws or what, but the ryobi made a lot better cuts and had a lot better accuracy in the fence. I wish I could give you a more in depth as to the whys of these particular saws, but it was two craftsman saw owned by two different people vs one ryobi. Anecdotally I'd have to give the most care by owner to one of the craftsman owners, and also let you know that these saws are used extensively.

I was looking at the ryobi or ridgid a few months ago but have space considerations as I have to store inside my truck cab. Because of this I went with the JET jet table saw I found on Amazon:

I am very happy with it. It is not as powerful as the bigger saws but it rips better than the 24 1/2 inches to the right of the blade it claims and with the belt drive, not found on anything else NEAR this price range, it is very smooth and quiet. The only downside is the crappy fence, but for a jobsite saw at this price ($200 delivered and in two days at that!) it is to be expected. I have to measure the front and back of the blade for each cut, but I like to do that anyway. I had to do this on the craftsman saws as well (the ryobi was dead on, but i did it anyway out of habit).

The craftsman/ryobi do have a larger rip capacity, and may have more power too, i was only ripping 1X material and 3/4" ply, but I have never really bogged down the jet.

Other than that I liked that the craftsman has a folding stand that catches dust underneath. Very convenient and well designed. I would have to say for my needs the jet wins, it is much smaller and easier to move but has no stand. If you have the space and loot, go for the ryobi. If you have the space, want to rip more than say 26", and want to save a few bucks go craftsman.

Just my opinion.
          Last edited by woodenstickers; 10-12-2007, 05:15 PM.
          A good carpenter makes few mistakes, a great carpenter can fix his own.

Comment

That's a nice saw woodenstickers!! I never realized Jet made a table saw that's so portable. I've never seen em in a store,i'd like to view one before buying! Going to search for Jet dealers now... Thanks again guys!

Comment

HA..There's a Rockler dealer in the same town that i'm starting a job in next week! Guess i'll get a look at the saw then.

Comment

Working...
              X