R2600 ROS problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R2600 ROS problem

Hi...first post here at the Ridgid forum, and I'm complaining already.
    I bought my ROS about 2 years ago, and loved it from the start. The power, the long cord, the light on the plug, etc. I build Ipe decks (and sand them), so I bought a second one. I also talked it up to anyone that would listen.

Rant on...
    Well, the honeymoon is over. While sanding a deck on friday, it ceased to work, and made some scary noises. Lucky I had a second sander. When I took it apart to diagnose the problem, I found that the armature shaft sheared off just above the disk. It's probably still under warranty, but I have no idea where the receipt is, and I've read bad things about Ridgid's warranty policy. So I went online to toolpartsdirect, and they sell the entire armature assembly as 1 part (not even sure the shaft can be replaced separately. The price was almost $40, + shipping. Well, I bit the bullet, and bought a new one for $69 + tax...and I have the other for spare parts.
    I give my sanders a hard workout, but the shaft shouldn't shear.

Just a rant. I bought the new one, but I won't give them rave reviews anymore

rant off

steve

Re: R2600 ROS problem

steve welcome to the forum, and sorry to hear about your sander, but two year of such heavy use, i mean come on now would you have been this upset had this been a de walt, porter cable, or bosch?? the shaft might of be slighty bent from a small drop heavy hands or having other tools bouncing on it in the truck(if not in the case) witch might of weakend it to the point that it finally gave up, you must of really liked it to buy another ridgid so trust my i take your post as a complment not an insult to the brand, you might want to post a comment to either josh or proband to help you resolve your problem with this sander, again welcome to the group
    9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

OSChevy,

Yeah, I worked it hard, and maybe dropped it a few times...(tool case? do people really use those things?). Still, if a company warranties tools for life, you have to hold them to higher standards. The shaft should have been the last thing to go. I thought brushes at first.

I did say that I sung it's praises, and that's why I already bought a new one. I'm not complaining here to get any special treatment. I'm resigned to using it for parts. The hook & loop disc alone (which has been replaced, and is new, is worth $15) The power cord is already on another tool...I love the light on the plug.

anyway, thanks for the welcome and reply

steve

Comment

Well.............if you would have registered your sanders under the Limited Lifetime Service Agreement and taken it or sent it to an Authorized Service Center it would have cost you nothing to have it repaired. Sorry that your sander broke but don't blame RIDGID, they have/had a solution to your problem in place. It's not their fault you chose not to take advantage of it.
        ================================================== ====
        All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
          Well.............if you would have registered your sanders under the Limited Lifetime Service Agreement and taken it or sent it to an Authorized Service Center it would have cost you nothing to have it repaired. Sorry that your sander broke but don't blame RIDGID, they have/had a solution to your problem in place. It's not their fault you chose not to take advantage of it.
          Dave,
          I am registering the new one, but they make you jump thru hoops to do it. UPC off the box/copy of the receipt/fill out envelope & form/affix stamp. A postage paid postcard would have been nice.
          You say that a trip to the service center would have cost nothing...nothing but time, and time is money. I don't have the luxury of waiting weeks for a repair. I need it almost every day. That's why I bought a new one.

I expect tools to go break after years of service. Do I blame Ridgid? well, the shaft is 5/16" in diameter and it sheared. I was just sanding away when it happened. Maybe it was made with substandard materials. It was made in China...and with all the lead they've been using in children's toys, maybe they used some to make the shaft...just kidding.

steve

Comment

Two years professional use for $69. I would think that an average cost of about 66 cents per weeks use is decent for any brand. And exclusively on Ipe at that. Register your new sander for the LLSA and in two more years you'll get the armature for free!

Try the R2611 6 inch ROS. It's a great sander with an adjustable orbit (1/8"-1/4"). I bet you'll like it.

And speaking of "made in China" I went to Hong Kong for vacation once. I waited till I got back the States to buy souvenirs, it's cheaper that way (duty free).

Ern
            Last edited by erngum; 10-13-2007, 02:41 PM.

Comment

Steve,

I've got to agree with the other posts, IMO I don't think the tool owed you anything beyond the fact that it could have been repaired under warranty. You mentioned that you may have dropped it a couple of times and that you use it pretty hard, don't keep it in the case during transport, etc. While none of that may have led to the failure, you can't really discount it either.

But the fact is that the tool broke, and for such cases, Ridgid has an excellent warranty system in place; albeit with some reported problems with service time, parts availability etc. Still, you personally don't have first-hand knowledge of how long it really might have been. While I have read these stories, my only experience with my local (160 miles away) authorized service center was a 7-day turnaround via UPS! Not bad, IMO.

Also, I really don't feel that filling out a simple form, copying your reciept, or cutting the UPC off the box is a tremendous challenge to anyone. Certainly not the "jumping through hoops" as you lament. But of course we all have our respected opinions. So, Ridgid provides you the option... don't do anything and you've automatically got a 3-year warranty (quite competitive, I might add). Or, you can do these small things, like write down your information, lick a stamp, and use that ever-familiar utility knife for 30-seconds. All totalled, that's probably 20-minutes if you're as slow as I am; but in return, get a life-time of service on your $70 tool. The choice is yours of course and I do understand that life has its challenges.

But all that aside, let's recognize that your tool broke, and you do use it to make a living. So all things considered, you really needed a back-up anyway. I used to make my living doing technical illustration with a computer... lots of expense in software, hardware, storage, etc.; but I'm gonna tell you that despite that cost, I not only kept everything backed up, I kept the back-up, backed up. If our tools fail, you can always return to your, yet to be finished, product with another tool, while my unfinished product simply disappears. Not only do I have to start from scratch, I most likely loose the client for good! Knowing that such probabilities exist, a "back-up" is simply a matter of good business, at whatever the cost.

Let's face it, no matter who makes the product, failures can occur. It makes no difference who makes it, where it's made, or how careful you may be. Blaming the tool, the manufacturer, the material, and the country of origin does no one any good.

So, as frustrating as the experience has been for you, I'm sure you'd have to admit that your failure to keep the receipt, attempt any dialog with a service representative, or have an alternative tool, has only exacerbated the problem. While I openly welcome you to the forum, I hope that this is a "lesson learned" and not an obstacle to your continued craftsmanship.

Respectfully

CWS
              Last edited by CWSmith; 10-13-2007, 02:54 PM.

Comment

Since we're on the subject, does anyone else dislike the switch type and placement on this sander? Every time I have ever used one i managed to bump it off by accident.

I agree with the R2611 comment. Nicer sander IMO. Actually I would much rather have the R2610. Call me crazy but i'll take an older German sander over a newer chinese one any day of the week.

Comment

Originally posted by l_bilyk View Post
                  Since we're on the subject, does anyone else dislike the switch type and placement on this sander? Every time I have ever used one i managed to bump it off by accident.

I agree with the R2611 comment. Nicer sander IMO. Actually I would much rather have the R2610. Call me crazy but I'll take an older German sander over a newer Chinese one any day of the week.
                  I have the 1/4 sheet sander and that same switch annoys me sometimes.

I had a choice between the 2610 and the 2611. I chose the 2611 because I preferred the better (IMO) ergonomics, switch placement for the orbit selector and the more rearward position for the dust collection.
                  Ern

Comment

That switch design and location does become an aggrevation at times. It certainly was when I first started using either my 2600 or 2500 sanders. I've since learned to move my hand back a bit, but I still manage to trigger the tool off every now and then. On the plus side, it's quick enough to toggle it back on and I haven't noticed any problems left in the stock, because of the accidental toggle.

Regarding Metabo and whether the origins of the better, and significantly more expensive, R2611, you might find this old article interesting:

http://www.woodworkersjournal.com/ww...45/sectionid/5

Pay attention to the paragraph just below the picture of the R2600.

CWS

Comment

Yeah but TTI wasn't making the R2610...

They do make a few of the metabo tools, namely the cordless recip saw and a few other things in that line I can't remember. Oddly enough, metabo's corded reciprocating saw is made in the mexican dewalt factory, and is pretty much identical to the dewalt reciprocating saw and new porter cable tigersaw. And there was a euro model of that ridgid/metabo sander sold as a dewalt.

Everybody's sleeping with everyone these days

Comment

Originally posted by l_bilyk View Post
                        Yeah but TTI wasn't making the R2610...
                        How do we know? If TTI is making all of the Ridgid-brand power tools (not plumbing), and if they also make some (not all) tools for Metabo, and the R2610 looked exactly like a Metabo model, wouldn't it stand to reason that the Metabo is of TTI origin? Or is it reasonable that there's mutual aid, in that TTI makes a couple of tools for Metabo and in turn Metabo makes a couple of other tools for TTI? Remember, TTI has exclusive licensing for all power tools with the Ridgid brand name on them.

(Respectfully asking the question... not trying to make an argument out of this. I figure you probably have some knowledge that I don't. )

CWS

Comment

Originally posted by CWSmith View Post
                          That switch design and location does become an aggravation at times. It certainly was when I first started using either my 2600 or 2500 sanders. I've since learned to move my hand back a bit, but I still manage to trigger the tool off every now and then. On the plus side, it's quick enough to toggle it back on and I haven't noticed any problems left in the stock, because of the accidental toggle.

Regarding Metabo and whether the origins of the better, and significantly more expensive, R2611, you might find this old article interesting:

http://www.woodworkersjournal.com/ww...45/sectionid/5

Pay attention to the paragraph just below the picture of the R2600.

CWS
                          Heh heh heh

Interesting info. but I do not think their non plumbing tools ever made it to the non HD distribution lines. I have not seen Ridgid power tools any where else except re cons from Cummins Tools. Maybe HD blocked that.

Still though, Metabo, Fein, Senco... I love it when the tool snobs recommend tools by saying, "Get the (brand name), Nuff' said"... Ignorance is bliss.

Ern

Comment

Hijacked thread

Guys,
                            since you hijacked this thread away from me, I guess that I have time to get back to work on filling out my lifetime warranty card, and assembling the paperwork, and getting it all to a notary before my lifetime runs out.

steve

Comment

Re: Hijacked thread

Originally posted by Urban Exteriors View Post
                              and getting it all to a notary before my lifetime runs out.

lmao
                              9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Working...
                              X