X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sparking on new 18V drill

I just purchased a Ridgid R840011 18-V cordless drill - moving up from an old B&D 12V drill that finally gave out. As soon as I got home, I proceeded to charge the batteries and try out my new "toy". I was quite surprised to see a lot of sparking out of the vents (on the rear of the drill) every time I released the trigger. In some cases, the sparks extended out of the case by 1/2 inch !!!

My question is this:
    Is this sparking typical of new 18-V cordless drills ? Or, do I have a defective unit ?

Re: Sparking on new 18V drill

What you are experiancing is normal. It is the electric brake operating.

Comment

I'm guessing RA is correct, though I would have to add that the new brushes will often spark when they first break in. It is normal and happens with all brands. Freaked me out too the first time I experienced it!
      A good carpenter makes few mistakes, a great carpenter can fix his own.

Comment

jmill

Please give this a try and then please let us me know if it helps.

1. Run the tool under no load at about 1/2 to 3/4 speed for a few minutes in forward.

2. Slowly release the trigger and when it stops set to reverse and run it 1/2 to 3/4l speed under no load for a few minutes.

3. Slowly release the trigger and set to forward and again run it a few minutes under no load, but this time at full speed and then slowly release the trigger.

4. Now try using the tool(s) as you normally do.

The carbon motor brushes need to get seated. Also, please normally release the trigger slowly rather than just letting go of it. When you slow down and then stop, the electric braking isn't used. Try to think of anything moving and then suddenly being forced to STOP real fast. Then try to think of it slowing down and stopping. I think you'll get the idea. In some cases you'll need the tool to stop fast and that's OK, but if you can, try to get into the habit of a more gentle stopping. It will pay off with longer tool life for you.
        Last edited by Woussko; 10-14-2007, 10:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jmill252 View Post
          I just purchased a Ridgid R840011 18-V cordless drill - moving up from an old B&D 12V drill that finally gave out. As soon as I got home, I proceeded to charge the batteries and try out my new "toy". I was quite surprised to see a lot of sparking out of the vents (on the rear of the drill) every time I released the trigger. In some cases, the sparks extended out of the case by 1/2 inch !!!

My question is this:
          Is this sparking typical of new 18-V cordless drills ? Or, do I have a defective unit ?
          All brushed electric motors, new or old, throw sparks. Newer motors throw more as the brushes take an initial set. Some motor designs hide the sparking more than others.

Comment

Working...
          X