No announcement yet.

Heavy Duty vs Compact Drills & Drivers __Really struggling

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Another set of thanks for new posts!

There is consistency to what I see and my choices are the Makita 1.5 AHr L-I Kit or the Bosch 20/40 pair. If the Bosch is up to most homeowner tasks for several years, I would likely go that way even though they don't offer a 'kit'. Their current $20 rebate is attractive though. The safe buy is surely the Makita Kit since is more than strong enough for my needs based on some brief Impact Driver 'hands-on' at a local store. The best Bosch deal locally is both 20 and 40 for $$300. (less the $20 rebate) = $280. [ BUT I get 4 batts and 2 chargers]. The Makita Kit is $269.and they will through in a 10% discount = $242. Based on your comments, I can't go terribly wrong with either choice.

Thanks and Regards,
    Tom B

Comment

Re: Heavy Duty vs Compact Drills & Drivers __Really struggling

What about the makita 3.0 Ah kit? The reason I suggest this kit is because the drill has a hammer function, and you're not saving that much weight with the 1.5 ah batteries. Plus if you ever want to get more tools, the reciprocating saw and circular saw will run better with the higher capacity batteries.

If I were buying the bosch tools, I would probably just get the impact driver. I don't see a whole lot of benefit from having the pair.

Comment

Originally posted by l_bilyk View Post
        What about the makita 3.0 Ah kit? The reason I suggest this kit is because the drill has a hammer function, and you're not saving that much weight with the 1.5 ah batteries. Plus if you ever want to get more tools, the reciprocating saw and circular saw will run better with the higher capacity batteries.

If I were buying the bosch tools, I would probably just get the impact driver. I don't see a whole lot of benefit from having the pair.
        Sound thoughts, but that opens the earlier Milwaukee V18 Kit ($299. less 10% local discount = $269.) issue. That's a heck of a Hammer Drill and the Milwaukee Impact Driver tossed in free (plus two L-I batts and charger of course). I am not being argumentative ... just do not have experience with the Makita Hammer Drill to make a comparison.

How do you regard the Milwaukee compared to the Makita?

Tom B

Comment

Re: Another set of thanks for new posts!

Originally posted by doubtingtom View Post
          There is consistency to what I see and my choices are the Makita 1.5 AHr L-I Kit or the Bosch 20/40 pair. If the Bosch is up to most homeowner tasks for several years, I would likely go that way even though they don't offer a 'kit'. Their current $20 rebate is attractive though. The safe buy is surely the Makita Kit since is more than strong enough for my needs based on some brief Impact Driver 'hands-on' at a local store. The best Bosch deal locally is both 20 and 40 for $$300. (less the $20 rebate) = $280. [ BUT I get 4 batts and 2 chargers]. The Makita Kit is $269.and they will through in a 10% discount = $242. Based on your comments, I can't go terribly wrong with either choice.

Thanks and Regards,
          Tom B
          Woe there Nelly.

The Bosch tool is a 1/4" quick connect driver....not a drill with a chuck and it has a minuscule 90 in-lbs of torque. It is great for what it was intended to do, drive small fasteners...like in cabinets and when hanging curtains.

The Bosch impact version raises the bar quite a bit, for torque...but only "impact" torque and is even less of a drill.

The Makita compact 18 volt has over 400 in-lbs of torque and a real Jacobs chuck.

If they had sold the Makita as a set, with the drill and driver it would have been my choice over the decidingly more expensive Panasonic. Nothing wrong with the Panasonic, you just get more for your money with the Makita kit.

Comment

Re: Makita Kit keeps making sense ....

Originally posted by Disaster View Post
            Woe there Nelly.

The Bosch tool is a 1/4" quick connect driver....not a drill with a chuck and it has a minuscule 90 in-lbs of torque. It is great for what it was intended to do, drive small fasteners...like in cabinets and when hanging curtains.

The Bosch impact version raises the bar quite a bit, for torque...but only "impact" torque and is even less of a drill.

The Makita compact 18 volt has over 400 in-lbs of torque and a real Jacobs chuck.

If they had sold the Makita as a set, with the drill and driver it would have been my choice over the decidingly more expensive Panasonic. Nothing wrong with the Panasonic, you just get more for your money with the Makita kit.
            Exactly ... which is why I said the 'safe' choice is the Makita Kit. Any of my projects are diverse enough and infrequent enough to make me worry that the next one will be more than the Bosch is intended to handle. It's a much 'safer' choice for active users who know their tasks and volumes and know that the Bosch pros and cons work for them.

No matter how many cycles this process goes thru, the Makita L-I Kit keeps coming up as a very sound choice.

Tom B

Comment

Well, things just got worse (in one respect) this afternoon, and my options got easier (in another respect). I am very tempted to add this to one of the 'beat up HD or Ridgid' Threads, but will likely just let it go. Perhaps Josh will catch this post and work from his end to cause some long term correction at HD or Ridgid.

I had returned my 24v 3pc Ridgid Kit on Oct 10, due to the very negative posts re Ridgid support. I continued to monitor those posts and think through how I might deal with the issues raised. I became comfortable enough to make a larger commitment to Ridgid and contacted HD by telephone. I spoke with the on-duty store manager and explained the return on 10/10/07. I related the Forum impact on my decision but asked his help in allowing me to come back the the store and 'repurchase' the 24v Ridgid Kit .... actually the exact same one I had returned since it had a notable inventory tag on the box and was easy to identify. He said he would allow it and I drove to the store to make the 'repurchase'. When I brought the kit to the cashier and asked her to call him, per his instructions, he came out and noted that the Kit price had been increased back to its original value (+$110.) and that the best he could do was offer a 10% discount on the higher price. I declined, showed him my receipt for the purchase earlier in October, the refund receipt, and said I did not see why the latest price increase had any bearing on the specific 'repurchase'. He offered a typical 'Corporate Policy' excuse and apologized for my 10 mile drive out to the store. I reminded him that I had made the higher price issue clear when I called him earlier. He apologized again but said it was not possible to do what he had offered on the telephone.

I make this lengthy narrative because this type of decision making seems to be more and more common with local managers, who really manage very little. They 'parrot' store or Company policy to customers and do little else. This particular store also brags consistently about their unique implementation of the ESP program , which is totally at odds with his stated inability to manipulate Corporate policy related to my unique 'repurchase' scenario.

Unless something dramatic happens in the next day or so, instead of me essentially locking myself into complete commitment to Ridgid cordless power tools, I will end up going in a totally different direction with Makita or possibly Milwaukee. This is not by free choice, but because of absurd and significant price fluctuations at HD for these Ridgid 24v kits. $379. to $269. and back to $379. I watch their store inventory and they were moving quite slowly at $269. They are gathering dust at $379.!

I remain open to revisiting this situation for a couple days, but after that I will make the alternative product choice and that will block my Ridgid additions for many years to come. I had planned on adding the MaxSelect Impact Driver, Jigsaw, possibly the 9.6v Screwdriver, and the corded Worm-drive Circular Saw. Instead, this business will likely go over to Lowes as soon as their imminent Christmas inventory arrival.

What a sad shame and testimony to pathetic policy and absence of management judgement! Good luck selling that kit at $379. when Milwaukee just shipped in their V18 Hammer Drill and bonus Impact Driver 2 L-I batts and charger, nice red case for $299. and a 10% discount is there for the asking.

Guys, I'm not mad, I'm disgusted !! Your replies to my post have been quite helpful and I am now 'unwinding' all the decision making process that led me back to Ridgid and reevaluating the alternatives you offered.

Tom B
              Re: Ridgid sucks ... can't be worse than Bosch !!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After my own Ridgid issues, I tried to register my new Bosch Jigsaw online ... the form did not transmit yesterday or today ... the URL is not working. I called Bosch and they said to try in a few days .... only my 'worthless' time to recomplete the long form each time, right ??? Then I called Customer Service to get clarification on their $20 Oct 2007 Rebate ..... she told me to contact the online dealer where the form was made available .... after 10 deep breaths I told her that the rebate form had Bosch logos all over it and had nothing to do with the dealer. I wanted clarification that I could buy the 'bare tool' only and receive the rebate. There is absolutely no hint of anything saying otherwise on the form. She checked and told me that the bare tool was probably not included. I asked for Bosch Tool Corporate phone number and pushed the Customer Service choice .... got back to the same 'outsource' people. Called back (long distance) again and dialed for the Operator. I asked for Corporate Marketing and got a lady's voicemail. She was on vacation and provided another lady's extension. I called again and got that lady's voicemail. I called again (long distance) and the Operator extension just plays music. I called two more times and the Operator never picked up .... just 'on-hold' music. That is Bosch Power Tool Headquarters 'professionalism' ??????

I KNOW ..... the Litheon tools are probably fine ..... BUT GUESS WHAT ??? ... I'm NOT buying them with that pathetic experience trying to reach a human being at Bosch with a functioning brain !!! Maybe the Ridgid situation needs to be revisited in a more positive light ???? .... I can't say, but I can at least talk to people there !!!!!

Go Ridgid !!

Tom B

.........WOW Tom! I don't know if the Home Depot mgr thought you complaineth or returneth to much. You're first post seemed sincere enough. You had just purchased a Ridgid 18V Nicad drill "after much agonizing" and were questioning other legitimate sounding options. In the short couple of weeks since that first post you have flitted around like a butterfly in heat. Evaluating tools, buying tools, using tools, building decks, returning tools, getting into the middle of a couple of controversies and ultimately joined the complainers club dissing Ridgid, Home Depot, and now Bosch.
              You bought and returned the Ridgid 18V drill, you bought, built a deck with and returned the Ridgid 24V LI set, you suggested buying the Ridgid 12V Right Angle impact(.....and return after using?), you talked about buying the Ridgid 18V LI Compact Drill. You jumped into the middle of the great Ridgid 1.5Ah battery controversy throwing opinions in every direction. You jumped on the Ridgid professional dissers bandwagon. You claimed to have made momentous decisions based upon input from those two threads. You're posts indicate an articulate intelligent man. Were you really making decisions from threads that were being run by a couple of professional complainers? Did you notice that the entire responding audiance was approximately twenty by the posts to their own surveys?
              I'm not sure if you were a leader or a follower? I did notice that of the tool choices you are now making one is the Makita Compact Drill-Driver set. Did you notice that it contains the accursed 1.5Ah Li batteries?
              Did you notice that the Milwaukee 18V LI Compact drill uses 1.4Ah batteries? Think of all the energy you used up getting your panties in a twist ever Ridgid using 1.5Ah batteries. You didn't know anything about the tool. You didn't pay any attention to the people who were making very positive comments about the Ridgid Compact drill using the 1.5 batteries based uppon actually using the tool . Did you notice that the largest number of responces to the "battery survey" were from users who were going to keep their drills regardless of the mistakes made by Ridgid? No, probably not. You were all caught up in the great conspiracy game.
              You have quickly gone from a poster with a legitimate question to someone who thinks the combined efforts of Ridgid customer service, technical reps, Home Depot store managers, department managers, and who knows who else should respond to your purchases, returns, repurchases, evaluations, manipulations and complaints. You need to take a valium.
              In my opinion Home Depot would be well advised to pay Lowe's to take you as a customer.

Comment

Tom does sound confused a bit but it takes all kinds to make the world go round. I only have buyers remorse if the product doesn't live up to it's claims. I would have kept that 24 volt lithium kit if it was working fine, on the other hand if I bought the compact 18 volt lithium after several Ridgid reps said it was 2.9AH I would have returned it. The guys who are using these compact drills don't seem to be complaining and neither are the 24 volt lithium guys. I'm happy with my 18 volt nicad tools, just would like to have the higher amp hour lithiums. I'm sure the folks at Ridgid won't get left in the dust, in the mean time if I was Tom I would buy that 24 volt Ridgid set and enjoy it!

Comment

Originally posted by roadrashray View Post
                  .........WOW Tom! I don't know if the Home Depot mgr thought you complaineth or returneth to much. You're first post seemed sincere enough.

....ultimately joined the complainers club dissing Ridgid, Home Depot, and now Bosch.
                  ...You're posts indicate an articulate intelligent man.

...You didn't know anything about the tool. You didn't pay any attention to the people who were making very positive comments about the Ridgid Compact drill using the 1.5 batteries based uppon actually using the tool .

...You were all caught up in the great conspiracy game.
                  You have quickly gone from a poster with a legitimate question to someone who thinks the combined efforts of Ridgid customer service, technical reps, Home Depot store managers, department managers, and who knows who else should respond to your purchases, returns, repurchases, evaluations, manipulations and complaints. You need to take a valium.
                  In my opinion Home Depot would be well advised to pay Lowe's to take you as a customer.
                  Woe (my second woe today) RoadRash. You started out conciliatory...heck, I like some of the basic stuff you were trying to say...but then you moved on to insults and got downright nasty.

Here is my viewpoint.

Some people do agonize over purchases more than others. Some enjoy the process, others are just a little more on the obsessive compulsive side. We are all different and should be accepting of our differences. Personally, I love the people that get into it and do all the research for me. I appreciate that Tom was able to smoke out the real Ah of the Ridgid compact 18 volt drill.

Having said that, I agree with you that Tom got a little caught up in the Ridgid complaints. Heck, I feel a little guilty and was a bit shocked he had already returned his 24 volt set already. While there are shortcomings to the 24 volt Ridgid set I will be the first to say, at the pricepoint he bought them for, they were a good value. In fact, value is the main reason I have a Ridgid 24 volt set. You can't have value with good prices and poor goods. To be a value the stuff has to perform and the 24 volt Ridgid tools do that. My two biggest "cons" to the Ridgid 24 volt set is the weight and the self-draining battery. Neither of these things caused me to return my set though.

Moving on to the 18 volt Lithium compact drill, I find this less of a value compared to the Makita. The $30 lower price, IMHO, is offset by the Makita name, weight, and size. On the other hand, if really are looking for a single battery system, IMHO Ridgid's other tools, the circular saw and reciprocating saw are better than the Makita 18v tools.

Regarding Home Depots policies, I'm not surprised they didn't offer him the old lower price. I haven't seen managers bend prices more than the 10% which they will usually offer anytime there is an issue.

However, Home Depot has always been very good about returns. Heck, at one point they had advertisements that showed people turning in beat up tools because they decided they didn't like them a year later. That turned out to be an ill advised move because it brought the sleazebags out of the woodwork....the guys who would buy tools only to return them after every job.

I don't believe Tom was trying to be that kind of customer.

My suggestion for Tom is to take a wait and see attitude. I suspect we will see Ridgid discounts return. There seem to be good deals before every holiday season.

In fact, I just read a report that said stores had a particularly bad third quarter and to expect deals in the 4th.

Good luck.

Comment

Re: Mostly true .... BUT ..

(posted prior to seeing Disaster's intervening post) ................

I actually used only two tools (18v L-I drill) and opted for the heavier duty 24v kit. BTW, every major manufacturer and both Lowes and HD encourage customers to purchase their tools and trial them for 30 days to see how they perform. I have only done this twice and with minimal 'trial' use .... NO project work of any magnitude PERIOD! I do not consider that as doing anything more than responding to their open offers.

Returning the 24v Ridgid Kit was (in retrospect) my mistake and an overreaction to a number of support complaints seen here. Once I sorted these out I tried to resolve my mistake by purchasing back the very kit I had returned. Had the HD manager told me on the telephone that he could not do this, I would have not made the drive out there and would have accepted his 'policy' statement. Posting this factual experience was not useful and was a reaction to his 'backing up' on a commitment. My misjudgement .....

The Bosch experiences this morning are accurately stated and specifically posted to 'offset' the Thread subject "Ridgid Sucks". Again, perhaps not a useful exercise.

I enjoyed a long career in high tech domestic and international field sales and support. I was always held to a very high standard in terms of customer satisfaction. Perhaps others take these problems lightly or have accepted them as ' just the way it is'. I do not.

Being retired offers me more time than appropriate on Forums like this and I take your comments as good advice to back off and keep the comments to relevant tool issues.

Regrets and regards,
                    Tom B
                    Last edited by doubtingtom; 10-15-2007, 11:40 AM. Reason: posting sequence comment

Comment

One other suggestion the "real tool" people might frown on.

You might want to consider the Ryboi OnePlus setup. While Ryobi's aren't as tough or capable as the Ridgid lineup, they are very competent tools...especially for the occasional use of a homeowner and retiree.

There are several advantages of the Ryobi tools.

Pros:
                      1. Lighter
                      2. Less expensive
                      3. Much more extensive lineup (hedge trimmer, weed sprayer, grinder, right angle drill...etc...etc.)
                      4. Better availabilty of tools and accessories...especially batteries.

Cons:
                      1. Less robust
                      2. Less "capable"...less torque, lower Ah batteries. (This is with current 1.7Ah batteries...I will re-evaluate when I get a hold of the new 2.4Ah Lithium cells.)

I have have used my Ryobi OnePlus tools for years now and never had a failure.

Here are some side by side comparisons.

-Ryobi: 3 speed impact drill vs. Ridgid hammer drill.

Ryobi 1 1/2 pounds lighter. Lower torque....but quite capable.

-Ryobi 2 speed drill vs. Ridgid compact.

Ryobi a half pound lighter. Not as much torque but adequate. Nice bit holder.

-Ryobi impact gun vs. Ridgid.

Ryobi considerably lighter. Battery life not less but not as big and issue as impact seems to run and run. Both have way more torque than is needed for wood screw driving.

-Ryobi sabre saw:

Ryobi lighter and easy bit changes. Noticeably shorter battery life than Ridgid.

-Ryobi reciprocating saw.

Wayyyy less power than Ridgid. Vibrates horribly. One of the worst tools in the Ryobi lineup, IMHO.

-Ryobi circular saw.

Adequate but noticeably less torque runtime than Ridgid.

Some tools Ryobi has that Ridgid has not counterparts for.

-Garden sprayer (fantastic device, I have two...one for grass killer, one for weed killer.)

-Hedge trimmer (quite capable for hedge trimming...as long as you aren't doing a big cutback...with major branches)

-Pruning saw (Ryobi reciprocating saw on a 6 foot pole...this is the best use of the Ryobi reciprocating saw.)

-Grinder (handy gadget)

-Hole cutter and high speed saw (wayyy handy...use like big cordless Dremel all the time to polish and grind.)

-Fan (great for when working in a tight hot space like attic.)

-Hand vac (works like Dustbuster with rechargeable batteries.)

-Right angle drill (don't use a lot but when I do I'm so glad I have it....like when I needed to bore holes in studs to run wiring.)
                      Last edited by Disaster; 10-15-2007, 12:28 PM.

Comment

I'll second Disaster's comments about the Ryobi OnePlus tools. They clearly do not have the "pro" standard of power and (probably) durability, but they work well for me puttering around this house. Hell, I even have a miter saw in the series (you can't find that one anymore ). I sort of collect them like Matchbox toys. I also have the chainsaw in the line, but haven't used it yet.

Having said that, I also have the Bosch 10 and 20 and love them. I throw them in my tool bag and forget about them until I need them. The Li batteries are nice for that as the Ryobi NiCads will discharge fairly quickly just sitting around. I am on the fence about getting the Bosch impact driver, though. I wouldn't use it nearly as much as I am using the 10 and the 20 and I already have the Ryobi impact.
                        Last edited by NavyBuck; 10-16-2007, 01:43 PM.

Comment

Re: Mostly true .... BUT ..

(posted prior to seeing Disaster's intervening post) ................

I actually used only two tools (18v L-I drill) and opted for the heavier duty 24v kit. BTW, every major manufacturer and both Lowes and HD encourage customers to purchase their tools and trial them for 30 days to see how they perform. I have only done this twice and with minimal 'trial' use .... NO project work of any magnitude PERIOD! I do not consider that as doing anything more than responding to their open offers.

Returning the 24v Ridgid Kit was (in retrospect) my mistake and an overreaction to a number of support complaints seen here. Once I sorted these out I tried to resolve my mistake by purchasing back the very kit I had returned. Had the HD manager told me on the telephone that he could not do this, I would have not made the drive out there and would have accepted his 'policy' statement. Posting this factual experience was not useful and was a reaction to his 'backing up' on a commitment. My misjudgement .....

The Bosch experiences this morning are accurately stated and specifically posted to 'offset' the Thread subject "Ridgid Sucks". Again, perhaps not a useful exercise.

I enjoyed a long career in high tech domestic and international field sales and support. I was always held to a very high standard in terms of customer satisfaction. Perhaps others take these problems lightly or have accepted them as ' just the way it is'. I do not.

Being retired offers me more time than appropriate on Forums like this and I take your comments as good advice to back off and keep the comments to relevant tool issues.

Regrets and regards,
                          Tom B
                          I did get a little caustic in some of my comments. If I was offensive please accept my apology.
                          I don't remember EVER seeing a statement from any power tool manufacturer or retailer "encouraging people to trial their products for 30 days". What is very common from the large retailers is a "satisfaction guarantee policy that allows for the return of products that if for any reason you are not satisfied". That is a great deal. Return of a product "if not satisfied" has a much different meaning and level of customer responsibility than "encouraging people to try products for 30 days".
                          "Encouraging a 30 day trial" implies taking various products home for a test and returning them taking the next product in line and continuing the process until finding the perfect match. I would be very happy with such a process as it would greatly diminish my research process before purchasing a tool. Just keep taking them home until I get the perfect match! You state that you "spent a long career in sales". I would suggest that a little reflection on the costs related to wholesale "trialing" of power tools would be very difficult to sustain from an economic standpoint. When a tool is used "even just a little" then it must be discounted for sale.
                          I have always concluded that "Satisfaction Guaranteed" requires some responsibility on my part. I research tools through this and other forums, review product evalution articles, talk with other tool users and do my best to make an honest purchasing decision. In some of the stores that rent tools I will try them through that process. After the purchase if the product does not meet it's manufactuer's claims, is not reliable, has problems that are not supported properly by customer service I may return it for a refund or exchange. I very much remember the "good old days" before the liberal policies of the Big Box retailers when we were held captive by arbitrary and capricious policies of the small independents. Try purchasing an expensive DeWalt tool from a small independent and returning it after use with a "I just didn't like it" or "some guys were saying bad stuff about their customer service on a forum" or "can I try the Makita now." See how that goes over with them!
                          I always try to remember that customer service people and retail sales people and managers are human beings and subject to the same human interaction response as myself. If someone comes on to me with an "attitude and all demanding and telling me how they can buy their stuff someplace else and how important they are with all the stuff they buy and their big time worldliness and how dumb my company is and the people who work there and blah and blah", I might get an attitude. Many customer service people will smile and talk pleasently and sweet and somehow the paperwork will be lost or the computer file will be erased or the phone mail discarded. These people are on the "front lines" of company policy.....good or bad and have to deal with it five days a week, eight hours a day. I have found over the years that I can browbeat them and my problem will probably get worse or I can sweet talk and empathise with them and in many cases a problem that "company policy would not fix" will be taken care of. It's the CEOs that get the big hundred million dollar bonuses and all to often the customer service gets a reduction in staff.
                          Good luck with your tools...Ray

Comment

Ryobi is a decent alternative for homeowners although I know a couple pros who use them. If their 2.4AH lithiums work well the tools will be a real bargain. I really like my Ridgid 18 volt nicad tools but I can't just get rid of my Ryobi tools. Just got a response from Dewalt support team, their 18 volt nano lithium battery is rated at 2.4AH and they will not be offering anything higher.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                              Just got a response from Dewalt support team, their 18 volt nano lithium battery is rated at 2.4AH and they will not be offering anything higher.
                              I think that is plenty.

With all this recent concern about battery power it might put things into perspective to take a look at a decade ago when 12 volts was a high voltage tool and 1.2Ah batteries were common. I just sold my first premium drill on Ebay. It was a Bosch 12 volt powerhouse with a "high capacity" 1.6Ah NiCd battery! I think I paid something like $175 dollars for it. That works out to 19.2 Watts of power. In comparison, 10 years later we can buy a Ridgid 18 volt drill with 1.5Ah Lithium batteries for $180. ...actually about $35 dollars less if you take inflation into account. The Ridgid batteries have 27 Watts of power....almost 50% more.

Comment

I use my tools every day for work and have been grandfathered into continuing with DeWalt 14.4. I can't imagine needing much more than the power I get from my XRP batteries, but do look forward to the Nano batteries becoming available in this voltage.

All this said, I have several co-workers who use the ryobi +0ne system with nothing but compliments for it. I know that my dewalt stuff feels more solid and stays stronger longer than theirs after years of use, and being spoiled this way has kept me spoiled. I also know though, that they are getting the same work done that I am and paid half the price for their tools.

How do I rationalize this? I look at the relationship these guys have with their tools compared to mine. I love my tools. I love using them. Sometimes I like running into a problem situation on a job just so I can pull out a much loved specialty tool and put it to use. I take care of my tools. I keep them in their cases. I oil the ones that need oiling. I don't misuse them (unless I absolutely HAVE to), though I do use them hard.

My point?

I enjoy them. This makes the extra $ worthwhile, because like an automotive enthusiast, or a wine connoisseur, I understand the difference that quality makes in use. And I appreciate it. AND I am willing to pay for it because it makes me happy while I work.

This is your sticking point, my friend. Are you like my buddy, a damned good carpenter and powerhouse producer who loves to beat his ryobi drill to it's last breath, toss it and get another one, gleefully passing up the chumps who pay 2-3 times what he does and still can't touch him on productivity?

Or are you like me, enjoying the fact that, unlike him, I know that the impact driver I'm holding is not a "hammer drill" and quietly appreciating how much better it feels, and my wrist feels, while using it, not dropping it on the floor, and taking the process of each job as part of the reward?

I don't think either is wrong, they both have their merits. Almost any tool you get for around the house projects as a home owner is guaranteed to be better than what I had in my kit when I started in construction 10 years ago. You will get any job done easier than could have been imagined in the past.

So what will make you happiest, Tom?

Ehh. If the philosophy angle doesn't work just go hold them all and see which on e feels the best. I personally don't like the angle on Makita drills. I also think you'd be better off getting a true drill and driver set and staying away from the pocket driver as a drill. No chuck as stated before.

For me it would be between the DeWalt 14.4 which has served me incredibly well, and the new ryobi LI set which gives you three more tools for the same price, drill, light, circ saw, impact and your choice of bare tool for $279 I think?

Neither one on your list. Sorry for that!
                                Last edited by woodenstickers; 10-15-2007, 10:40 PM.
                                A good carpenter makes few mistakes, a great carpenter can fix his own.

Comment

Working...
                                X