Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Heavy Duty vs Compact Drills & Drivers __Really struggling

Originally posted by firefighter5143 View Post
    Hello, I currently own a selection of tools and have some of the same likes and dislikes as you might have. I am just an average home owner .......................
    I was happy ..... until I won a Bosch ps-40 impactor.
    The Bosch is really a great tool when it comes to small quick projects and it has a pro feel to it. It however doesn't even come close to the speed or power that my 18v has.
    After owning all of these tools I plan on keeping my 18v for the big jobs and the Bosch Impactor for the smaller ones. Hopefully this experience will help your decision.
    It does ...... I have a sizeable gift card credit at Lowes and they have the Bosch PS-40 Impactor. It would be a great advantage to buy some of my tools there and use the card. No new L-I tools until around Dec 1, I hear.

I must admit that the Panasonic kit has really defined my 'upper limit' choice.

Tom B
    EDIT ____ No decision on one comment either way, but there is a user rating on Amazon .com where the user loves the tools, but dropped the tools and had notable damage. Did they make these tools a bit too light? At close to 50% premium compared to other decent alternatives, these Panasonic drills and drivers need to be pretty dang good!
    Last edited by doubtingtom; 10-16-2007, 08:11 PM. Reason: New info

Comment

Agreed. I think Panasonic is good, but don't know if they are good enough to be worth the premium.

On a side note, I picked up the Ryobi Lithium Ion drill and flashlight kit today. This kit comes with the drill, two 2.4Ah batteries, charger and flashlight for $159, if I recall.

I compared it to Ridgid's "compact" 18 volt Lithium Ion drill.

Size: The Ryobi is slightly longer and slightly taller (due to the thicker battery.)

Weight: The Ryobi weighs 4 lbs, 13 ounces, 1 lb, 11 ounces of that battery. The Ridgid weighs 4 lbs, 5 ounces, 1 lb, 1 ounce of that battery.

Chuck: The Ridgid has a name brand Jacobs chuck with plastic body. The Ryobi has an unknown chuck, with plastic body.

Battery: Ridgid 1.5Ah, Ryobi 2.4Ah. Both are compatible with all their previous 18 volt tools.

Charger: Ridgid comes with a Lithium charger that is compatible with the 18 volt Lithium battery and possible other new lower voltage lithium batteries but it is not compatible with the 24 volt lithium or previous generation 18 volt NiCads. Ryobi comes with a Universal charger that is compatible with the older generation 18 volt NiCad batteries. In fact, it is a smarter charger than the previous generation NiCad AC charger, and is kinder to NiCads...thus improving their life. It is considerably lighter and more efficient as well.

Extras: Ridgid comes with an onboard tool light. Ryobi comes with a magnetic tray to hold screws. Both have a tool holder.

Comment

To muddy things up some more. Here are a couple OnePlus reviews.

http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com/rev...obioneplus.htm

http://www0.epinions.com/content_312485187204

Comment

Originally posted by Disaster View Post
          To muddy things up some more. Here are a couple OnePlus reviews.

http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com/rev...obioneplus.htm

http://www0.epinions.com/content_312485187204
          Unfortunately both of these reviews are for sets with the old Nicad batteries.

Comment

Originally posted by roadrashray View Post
            Unfortunately both of these reviews are for sets with the old Nicad batteries.
            Yeah, but the tools are basically the same. Just double the runtime.

Comment

This struggle goes on .... the thread has taken several directions, and today a whole new can of works was opened ...... the Makita 6952 was totally unknown to me until now. All the of the corded tools I have seen have been Impact Wrenches, most 1/2 inch. This is only 2.9 lbs, otherwise very competitive with the drivers discussed here, and cost is about $180. Due to home use and unknown 'idle' periods with batts and tools just sitting around, why isn't this a very good alternative? I apologize for not raising this earlier, but I really did not know of it.

EDIT .... the Impact Driver portion of this tool choice has risen in importance to where a new Thread seems more appropriate. Since there are not many alternatives to the Makita 6952, this may be a good place to "toss in the towel" ... unless there are some loud and useful comments re. the corded I_Driver.

Tom B
              Last edited by doubtingtom; 10-18-2007, 10:00 PM. Reason: possible new Thread

Comment

Unless you plan on having "idle times" in years instead of months, why would you regress to a corded tool? I use my Ridgid 18 volt 1/4 inch impact maybe three to five times a year, and when I do I make sure my batteries (nicads) are charged. My Ridgid is stronger than the corded tool you mentioned and for $449.00 I got the impact, hammerdrill, reciprocating saw, circular saw and flashlight! Now if you are an apartment dweller, then pulling out an extension cord is no big deal but even as a retired man I don't want to waste my time dragging power cords around when I can just pop in a battery and get the job done. You really need to get these cordless tools and use them to appreciate the freedom and convenience, the many uses. Things I use to do painstakingly slow with a hand tool , I can now do in literally seconds. The uses are many working on home projects, appliances, electronics, cars, and no cords. I said earlier I use my 18 volt impact maybe three to five times a year, but thinking back I've used it much more often. Once you own these tools you catch yourself using a 1/4 inch or 3/8 inch ratchet or screw driver or cordless drill and think "Hey, my 1/4 inch impact will make easy work of this task". I respect your caution, prudence to make a wise purchase, but sometimes you just have to take the plunge to enjoy the water for yourself. Good luck.

Comment

Tom,
                  You're gonna hate me for this, but check this out, available this month. The Dewalt rep. told me that HD has a short "exclusive" on the line and it will only be available through them:

http://www.toologics.com/Manufacture...070925379.html

I suspect the HD price will be around the same as the Makita 3.0 Ah impact ($329), but for now, the stated MSRP is $349. 1330 in./lbs. and weighs 3.7 lbs.

I'd be tempted, but I have no Dewalt cordless tools, and thus will stick with Makita. The Dewalt rep. tried to tell me that Makita only has FOUR lithium tools (a lie). My buddy who was with me (who is a Dewalt loyalist) reminded her that as she stood there, Dewalt had NO 18v lithium tools available. She was not a total Dewalt snob though. Before we spoke with her she was actually recommending a Ryobi set to someone after she'd assessed his needs. From what the guy was telling her, that's exactly what he needed and that's what he walked out with. Kudos to her, she could easily have talked that guy into spending $300 more than he needed to.

BTW Tom, my quest for a FOURTH impact driver in the form of a matching Makita lithium "was" on the back burner until you started this post. I will place all blame on you when LOML sees the UPS truck arrive w/#4.
                  Ern

Comment

Originally posted by doubtingtom View Post
                    This struggle goes on .... the thread has taken several directions, and today a whole new can of works was opened ...... the Makita 6952 was totally unknown to me until now......corded tool...
                    Unless you plan on doing most of your work in a shop, I can't see getting a corded impact. The cordless ones are sooooo convenient...not just because you don't have to pull out a cord....but because you don't have to play the "dance around the cord game." Impacts are the kind of tool you grab fast and use quickly in 30 different spots. Their speed is their main selling point. I can't imagine having to work with a tetherd one.

Comment

All the 'corded' points are valid and taken in context. For my case, a key issue is having two tools to avoid changing bits or drills when doing pilot holes and driving screws. My DeWalt corded drill will do one of the tasks so I felt a corded 'partner' was not such a bad choice. No question about the other scenarios and convenience of cordless!

For cordless, Ridgid then becomes a top choice due to high Lithium-Ion batt cost and LSA program. With the R931 Ridgid 3-pc Kit I get the recip saw thrown in for the identical cost of Makita B&W, versus another $119. for a Milwaukee or Bosch. If money was no issue, the Makita B&W Kit is a clear winner. the 1.5 AHr batts are just fine for me and the tool is a great fit for almost everything I am likely to do.

HD did a nice deal and I can repurchase the returned R931 Kit at the previous lower price ... and still get the 'promotional' 14.4v Impact Driver free! Ridgid then threw another 'wet towel' on things and told me they were working on May, 2007 promotional applications. Their initial 8-10 week statement for the Imp Dvr doesn't seem to be very realistic and that is the tool I want the most right now.

Thank-you for repeated guidance and a needed 'wake-up' message here and there. My choices are now in place so I can apply my specific issues and make a sound choice. I better do it quick, 'cause the Christmas promotional deals and new products are about to muddy the water!

Regards,
                      Tom B

Comment

What would be really convenient is a drill with a pop-off head that you could swap between a drill and driver. I've seen a few variations on this theme but none of them were satisfactory.

Panasonic made a combination drill, impact driver. You could switch modes between the two. It was expensive and you still had to switch the drill and driver bit out.

Black and Decker made a drill that had a removable chuck that exposed a 1/4" bit holder. Only problem is that you couldn't keep a bit in the holder and attach the drill chuck. So you had an extra operation of inserting and removing the bit.

There was an infomertial drill sold that had two heads that rotated 180 degrees to choose one or the other. Too bad it was heavy, had poor torque, runtime and had poor build quality (reviewed by Consumers Reports.)

I'd love to see a drill sold with a bare "drive" head. Then as accessories they would include a drill chuck and a 1/4" driver head....maybe even an impact head. You could just swap between the heads...saving you from having to carry two tools. They could sell extra heads so you could keep two or three different drill sizes (for piloting or the like.) Black and Decker has done some innovative stuff close to this, selling tools with multiple cutting and sanding heads.

Comment

Makita BTP140 is pretty slick if you have a spare $400. lying around.

Comment

That is pretty similar to the Panasonic that ties you into using 1/4" hex shank drill bits. Those are expensive and more limited in availability.

Comment

Tom! You haven't decided yet? Go get the Makita $269 set while they last! (flying off the shelves here)

You then have 90 days to decide what you want and the $269 deal is locked in just in case. Just tape the receipt to the box and don't get the tools dirty.

Take them for a short test drive. Opinions can change when you get the tools home. In the past, I've gotten right back in the car to return tools after a short test.

Ern

Comment

Originally posted by erngum View Post
                                Tom! You haven't decided yet? Go get the Makita $269 set while they last! (flying off the shelves here)
                                You then have 90 days to decide what you want and the $269 deal is locked in just in case. J.....................
                                Ern
                                This Kit has been right at the top of my shortlist since the beginning. I handled the Impact Driver (at HD) and saw what it does into steel and with larger bolts ..... very impressive! The size and weight seem to be ideal for my needs.

I have since realized that my indecision problem has been a 'minimal' need for a recip saw and its inclusion in the Ridgid 24v 3pc kit at the same $269. price point. Mixed up in this conundrum is the fact that it really takes the huskier (3 AHr ... preferably 24v) batt to run the saw effectively. Tossing the saw into the mix just adds too many variables.

The B&W Makita Kit is an excellent choice.

Thanks,
                                Tom B

Comment

Working...
                                X