Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Heavy Duty vs Compact Drills & Drivers __Really struggling

Originally posted by doubtingtom View Post
    The B&W Makita Kit is an excellent choice.
    If you get it, I'm sure you'll be satisfied. OK now I'm jealous I don't have the impact driver yet. Time to order the bare tool from Amazon

And about the recip. saw; I have a Ryobi cordless recip. saw. I have used it for pruning trees but I have yet to get my $49 dollars out of it in the two years I've had it.

Ern

Comment

Originally posted by erngum View Post
      If you get it, I'm sure you'll be satisfied. ..............
      And about the recip. saw; I have a Ryobi cordless recip. saw. I have used it for pruning trees but I have yet to get my $49 dollars out of it in the two years I've had it. Ern
      Pretty much decided on a 'low-end' for the recip since my needs are like yours .... very limited pruning and some exterior 'cut-off' tasks. The Ryobi is one choice and no more than the $99. DeWalt at the upper extreme.

Regards,
      Tom B

Comment

And about the recip. saw; I have a Ryobi cordless recip. saw. I have used it for pruning trees but I have yet to get my $49 dollars out of it in the two years I've had it.
        IMHO, the Ryobi OnePlus reciprocating saw is one of the worst tools in the OnePlus lineup. It is shakes the bejabbers out of you, has a sloppy blade mount that will fail...just a matter of time, and so-so power. I didn't use mine very much either. I think one of the issues with the OnePlus lineup is Ryobi tries to make everything under a certain price...say $100...but they really shoot for $30-$50. You can't make a decent reciprocating saw for that kind of money.

On the other hand, I've already used my Ridgid reciprocating saw more than I ever used the Ryobi. Used it to hack out a recessed light box that was built into wall. Used it to prune branches off a Maple tree. Used it to clean up and section a fallen willow tree.

I good reciprocating saw, with a good blade (like the Skil Ugly blade) can rip through wood nearly as fast as a chain saw...but it does it quieter and cleaner with way less saw dust to deal with afterwards.

A good reciprocating saw is nice to have...but definitely isn't going to get a lot of use unless you do a lot of demoing....which I'm guessing, as a retired person and not a contractor, you won't.

Comment

Tom,
          Your quest has influenced me to compliment my Makita compact drill with the compact impact driver set. I bit the bullet and got the full kit w/ batteries and charger because even though I rarely use them, I prefer to have the case. Besides, the two batteries are cheaper to get w/ the kit than to buy a pair for $117 on Amazon, plus the bare tool for $99 and no charger. I blamed it all on you when I told LOML what I bought. My Ryobi 18v NiCd will be relegated to spare/loaner when the UPS truck arrives on Tuesday.

Disaster,
          I also have the old Homelite (same as the current Ryobi) tree pruner. It works great w/ an Ugly blade. I did hear that the new green Ryobi recip. saw seems better.

Comment

This Kit has been right at the top of my shortlist since the beginning. I handled the Impact Driver (at HD) and saw what it does into steel and with larger bolts ..... very impressive! The size and weight seem to be ideal for my needs.

I have since realized that my indecision problem has been a 'minimal' need for a recip saw and its inclusion in the Ridgid 24v 3pc kit at the same $269. price point. Mixed up in this conundrum is the fact that it really takes the huskier (3 AHr ... preferably 24v) batt to run the saw effectively. Tossing the saw into the mix just adds too many variables.

The B&W Makita Kit is an excellent choice.

Thanks,
            Tom B
            The Ryobi recip saw is junk. With HD giving you the Ridgid 3pc set at the original sale price and by taking advantage of the two current offers for a free 14.4 impact driver and a free MaxSelect Hand Planer you cannot find a better value for you're needs.
            Stop the chattin and get to buyin...Ray

Comment

I also have the old Homelite (same as the current Ryobi) tree pruner. It works great w/ an Ugly blade. I did hear that the new green Ryobi recip. saw seems better.
              I have the Ryobi version, along with the hedge trimmer and sprayer. I recommend all three. I wouldn't recommend it to a tree removal contractor, but for a homeowner, such as myself, who does a little annual cleanup, it is great.

Comment

Originally posted by Disaster View Post
                I have the Ryobi version, along with the hedge trimmer and sprayer. I recommend all three. I wouldn't recommend it to a tree removal contractor, but for a homeowner, such as myself, who does a little annual cleanup, it is great.
                I've got those too. The outdoor gadgets are the only thing keeping me attached to Ryobi cordless. Otherwise it's Makita and Bosch for me.

Ern

Comment

Tom,
                  Your quest has influenced me to compliment my Makita compact drill with the compact impact driver set. I bit the bullet and got the full kit w/ batteries and charger because even though I rarely use them, I prefer to have the case. Besides, the two batteries are cheaper to get w/ the kit than to buy a pair for $117 on Amazon, plus the bare tool for $99 and no charger. I blamed it all on you when I told LOML what I bought. .........
                  Congrats on your addition! These tools seem to be a superb pair and complement each other very nicely.

I have just this week-end identified my likely next project which is tied closely to the new composite decks. My material source was ChoiceDek and I hear they may be very close to a new product announcement ..... composite fencing. I like this material very much and have something over 150 ft of perimeter to enclose. I could start fairly soon, but material availability may delay things. An Impact Driver is my highest priority and I doubt Ridgid's promotional tool would reach me in time .... especially based on theri recent telephone comment that they are now working on May, 2007 LSA and promotional requests. Earlier I refocused on Makita, with lighter weight and smaller size as important criteria. The B&W Kit would be superb for the new project and the corded 6952 is also very attractive.

I expect to see some posts when you receive the new treasure ......

Regards,
                  Tom B

Comment

Tom,
                    Will do... if I can figure out how to post photos. It should be hear Tues. Along with about a dozen or so Christmas gifts. The UPS guy calls me "Mr. Amazon". I think he hates me.

BTW, I have seen the composite fence material at HD but I only saw one color. I do not recall the pricing, but it can't be any better or worse than the cost of the decking. Did you get the right angle impact?

Ern

Comment

Tom,
                      Will do... if I can figure out how to post photos. It should be hear Tues.
                      BTW, I have seen the composite fence material at HD but I only saw one color. I do not recall the pricing, but it can't be any better or worse than the cost of the decking. Did you get the right angle impact? Ern
                      I estimate about $130. per 6ft section not counting concrete and other post prep costs. A rough estimate is over 1800 screws for fence boards and another 300 for rail-to-post pieces. I hope whatever driver I pick is up to the job!

HD tool guy talked me into a Milwaukee 'angle' attachment which he even uses with his Impact Driver (not the right-angle kit, but much smaller and a fixed configuration ... ~$20.).

Tom B
                      Last edited by doubtingtom; 10-22-2007, 08:50 AM. Reason: more info

Comment

HD tool guy talked me into a Milwaukee 'angle' attachment which he even uses with his Impact Driver (not the right-angle kit, but much smaller and a fixed configuration ... ~$20.).

Tom B
                        How much does he really use the Milwaukee angle attachment? They generally aren't designed for the huge impact torques and don't last long when used that way.

Note their "heavy duty" RA is only rated for 235 in-lbs.

http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-49-2.../dp/B000BYEJ02

Their lighter duty screw head is rated for an even lower 100 in-lbs.

http://www.toolbarn.com/product/milwaukee/48-32-2100/

Consider that most impact drivers are over 1000 in-lbs and you have a recipe for disaster.

It isn't just right angles that can have a problem with impact but lots of bits that aren't designed for it. For example, you often will see hex extension drivers with the hex bit pressed onto the shaft. These usually don't last long on an impact driver. Even driver bits can get chewed up a lot faster on an impact.

Comment

QOUTE: My current choices are: Ridgid 24v L-I Hammer Drill

PERSONALLY I DONT RECOMMEND THIS TOOL UNLESS ALL YOUR GOING TO BE DOING IS SCREWING SOMETHING < NO PUN INTENDED

I'VE BEEN THRU TWO OF THESE ALREADY, THE MOTORS LIKE TO SET THEMSELVES ONFIRE, EVEN THOUGH A DEDICATED FUNCTION OF THE DRILL IS HAMMER, WHICH IT DOES DO NICELY. BUT DRILLING INTO STUDS OR DRILLING HEAVY LUMBER CAUSES THE DRILL TO STRUGGLE AND SEIZE SETTING IT ABLAZE.

YOUR FRIENDS WILL ENJOY THE FIREWORKS SHOW FROM THE MOTOR VENT HOLES, HOWEVER THE ACRID SMELL AND SMOKE WILL IMPREGNATE YOUR NOSTRILS AND MAKE FOR A BAD COMPANION

YOURS IN FIREWORK SHOWS

PLUMBMASTER

INLANDVALLEYPLUMBING.COM

Comment

Re: Heavy Duty vs Compact Drills &amp; Drivers __Really struggling

Originally posted by plumbmaster View Post
                            QOUTE: My current choices are: Ridgid 24v L-I Hammer Drill

PERSONALLY I DONT RECOMMEND THIS TOOL UNLESS ALL YOUR GOING TO BE DOING IS SCREWING SOMETHING < NO PUN INTENDED

I'VE BEEN THRU TWO OF THESE ALREADY, THE MOTORS LIKE TO SET THEMSELVES ONFIRE, EVEN THOUGH A DEDICATED FUNCTION OF THE DRILL IS HAMMER, WHICH IT DOES DO NICELY. BUT DRILLING INTO STUDS OR DRILLING HEAVY LUMBER CAUSES THE DRILL TO STRUGGLE AND SEIZE SETTING IT ABLAZE.

YOUR FRIENDS WILL ENJOY THE FIREWORKS SHOW FROM THE MOTOR VENT HOLES, HOWEVER THE ACRID SMELL AND SMOKE WILL IMPREGNATE YOUR NOSTRILS AND MAKE FOR A BAD COMPANION

YOURS IN FIREWORK SHOWS

PLUMBMASTER

INLANDVALLEYPLUMBING.COM
                            Just what I need! ..... sparks, smoke and fire when an important 'drilling' project is at hand .... Actually, this is the lowest prioirity tool in the Kit, for me, but I was overwhelmed with the sale price and promotion. Now that my focus is clearly on the Impact Driver (and some on the Recip Saw), I see other choices which are better both now and in the longer haul. Right now, Makita seems to have the edge with more than one good driver in their offerings. I know the other guys will catch up soon, but a purchase right now goes to Makita (driver) and Milwaukee (recip saw).

Keep something nearby to cool that tool !! ..... especially in those high winds down there !

Tom B

Comment

Originally posted by Disaster View Post
                              How much does he really use the Milwaukee angle attachment? They generally aren't designed for the huge impact torques and don't last long when used that way. <edit> ........................
                              Thanks .... I took some of his comments as being a bit overstated, but if I can get just these 20-30 deck screws drilled and driven, under the tight rock overhang, it will be money well spent. I will use my DeWalt corded drill and minimize any strain on the Milwaukee Attachment as I go.

Regards,
                              Tom B

Comment

Have you seen the new Milwaukee compact Tools? V18 compact 2601-22 has been really popular and the 12V compact 2401-22 (it does look like a toy) can beat most 14.4V NiCd in power and battery life.

Also for $299 you can get the V18 Hammer Drill 0824-24 and V18 Impact Driver 0881-20. These lithium Ion tools are top of the line and will blow away pretty much all the other 18 volts.
                                Jay
                                Ohio Power Tool - Ridgid
                                Coptool - Power Tool Blog

Comment

Working...
                                X