Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Heavy Duty vs Compact Drills & Drivers __Really struggling

Originally posted by Jay6 View Post
    Have you seen the new Milwaukee compact Tools? V18 compact 2601-22 has been really popular and the 12V compact 2401-22 (it does look like a toy) can beat most 14.4V NiCd in power and battery life.

Also for $299 you can get the V18 Hammer Drill 0824-24 and V18 Impact Driver 0881-20. These lithium Ion tools are top of the line and will blow away pretty much all the other 18 volts.
    Looked at the Kit and with additional 'local' 10% off it is impressive ... but heavy stuff! The other local HD got in another new Kit adding the Recip Saw at $399. If I got 10% there also, that would be ~$360. but still husky stuff for my needs. The Compact tools look good, but no Impact Driver yet. I assume it will be coming along very shortly. The smaller 12v implementation will likely be a good step up from Bosch at 10.8v and maybe an ideal size.

Regards,
    Tom B

Comment

Tom, I know you are a smart man and trying to buy with your needs in mind
      but sometimes it's hard to anticipate what lies ahead. I would rather have a heavy duty tool and not need it all the time, than be left with only lighter duty when a serious task arises. I could see buying the lighter duty tool or equipment if there was a significant difference in price, operating expense, or maintenance, but here you have the opportunity to buy strong tools that will stand up to any homeowner work you may need to do so don't leave yourself at a loss buy once and buy right.

Comment

Originally posted by doubtingtom View Post
        Just what I need! ..... sparks, smoke and fire when an important 'drilling' project is at hand.
        No disrespect meant to Plumbmaster but I've never heard anyone else report of these problems with the 24v line. In fact, I've found the current protection on the batteries to be a little too conservative. I had the drill catch a couple times and flat out die. Had to put the battery back in the charger to "awaken" it.

In general, you should never let a power tool lug...it really strains the motor and battery. Make sure your drill is in the lowest gear available and back off the force a bit if it starts to slow way down on full power.

Having said that, IMHO, all tools should have overload protection (though I know this is not the case with most.) It really isn't very expensive to have a current or temperature cutoff switch.

Speaking of the Milwaukee tools, in two different Consumer Reports tests, they fried the V28 drill motor. In the second test, they said Milwaukee had told them they had "fixed" the issue but the new drill they bought failed just like the older one. I haven't heard the same issue with the V18 line.

Comment

I think someone mentioned on here a while ago that it still happens with the V28 drill. It sounds like you'd really have to be abusing it for that to happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
            Tom, I know you are a smart man and trying to buy with your needs in mind but sometimes it's hard to anticipate what lies ahead. I would rather have a heavy duty tool and not need it all the time, than be left with only lighter duty when a serious task arises. I could see buying the lighter duty tool or equipment if there was a significant difference in price, operating expense, or maintenance, but here you have the opportunity to buy strong tools that will stand up to any homeowner work you may need to do so don't leave yourself at a loss buy once and buy right.
            Your comments are precisely why the indecision and 'nagging' revisit to Ridgid 24v and Milwaukee V18 Kits. It's hard to imagine future needs which these kits would not meet. That is also why the 'corded' alternative has risen on my list. The cost is very attractive, weight is lower due to elimination of (larger) batteries, and I do not sacrifice tool quality. I can do the Makita 6952 Impact Driver for ~$185., Milwaukee Recip Saw for ~$120. and deal with a heavier drill need later (given my existing DeWalt 3/8" corded drill). I need power at my 'main' workstation site anyway for my worm-drive Skil Circ Saw. Also, I did not find a cordless Jigsaw to my liking and went with the Bosch 1590EVS corded tool.

Whether it's this purchase cycle or later next year, I think the cordless Makita B&W Kit or perhaps the imminent Milwaukee contender will be an ideal 'convenience' pair.

Tom B
            Last edited by doubtingtom; 10-22-2007, 03:52 PM. Reason: omission

Comment

...I would rather have a heavy duty tool and not need it all the time, than be left with only lighter duty when a serious task arises.
              With my apologies to Frank, and because I am enjoying seeing all this played out in Tom's mind (guess I owe him an apology as well) I'm going to play Devil's advocate.

The reality is we don't need many tools...probably way less than we buy. As you get heavier duty tools, that you need less often, it becomes more cost effective to rent them. How many people out there own a bulldozer? I actually know someone and he said the purchase was justified because of all the work he did with it. Yeah right.

A hammer drill is for one thing. Chewing into concrete and stone. It is something that the average homeowner probably won't be doing very often. Or maybe you will. Heck, I drilled in concrete, cinder blocks and brick long before I owned a hammer drill....probably more than I have since I've owned one. The job certainly would have gone faster with one....but the drill I had eventually got the job done.

On the other hand, if you are like me, you will find yourself reaching for a drill fairly often...for this project or that. But when you do, how much drill do you need? How much do you want to haul around?

Impacts are another tool that could go in the nice to have category. I installed my entire deck without one. However, now that I have one I love it.

Bottom line, if you are a tool geek by all means use whatever rationalization you can to buy whatever tool you can. I do. That is why I have 7 or 8 drills last time I counted...including two of the very seldom used hammerdrills.

Otherwise, take a long hard look at the renting vs. owning equation. You may find you have a lot more money in your pocket at the end of the day.

Comment

I would tend to agree w/ Disaster. For instance, I bought the right angle impact to get myself out of a bind on a project. It is a great tool, but 99% of the time it is a paperweight. For Tom's project he'd most likely be best served with a decent drill and the right angle adapter to drill pilot holes then drive the screws with a regular drill/driver.

When I first got back into woodworking/home improvement, I thought I needed every cordless gadget out there, and the biggest and baddest at that. But time has shown what my needs are and nowadays, the only cordless tools I seem to use regularly are a drill and an impact (we'll leave the cordless lawn/garden stuff out for now). I just ordered that new Makita impact (because I wanted, not needed it). The truth is that my tiny 10.8v impact will see much more use than the Makita ever will.

My greatest frustration is that I know exactly which tools "I want". But prudence (and LOML) dictate that I stick to what "I need". I should write a book about being a tool junkie, the book would include an integrated lithium powered LED light... with a 6 Ah battery and radio/charger... yeah, that would be the bomb.
                Ern

Comment

Disaster, I'm guilty of being a "Tool Junkie" in case you haven't guessed by now. I'm actually laughing as I read your post because today I had to drill a 1/64 hole through 1/16 plastic on a car dashboard, my drill of choice? Ridgid 18 volt hammerdrill! Call it overkill, but if that dash was 1/4 steel I would have been prepared.I have a bad back among many bad body parts and if I can get a tool to make my life easier I do. That's only part of my excuse to owning so many tools, truth is I like tools, corded, cordless, air, OH! what a thrill to own a compressor. Sure I didn't need to trade my 10" Bosch sliding compound for my buddies 12" Dewalt, but you never know when you might want to miter a few 2x10's. If I lived close enough to Tom I'd grab him by the neck and we would get him that 24 volt Ridgid set, heck I might have gotten him worked up enough to buy the Dewalt 36 volt. The guys retired and the heavier tools will keep him in shape. Please stop trying to have him buy some wimpy, girlieman tools, real men have hernias. Take care.

Comment

The guys retired and the heavier tools will keep him in shape. Please stop trying to have him buy some wimpy, girlieman tools, real men have hernias. Take care.
                    I'd just put some ankle weights on my Makita

Ern

Comment

...today I had to drill a 1/64 hole through 1/16 plastic on a car dashboard, my drill of choice......
                      You know the crazy thing, tough for us toolaholics to understand, is doing a job and not having to decide which drill to use because you only have one...or maybe none...maybe you borrow one from a neighbor.

Seriously, I have more than one friend who doesn't even own a drill!!! GASP!!!

Somehow, they've managed to live their whole lifes without buying one!

Me, I decide between the Ryobi 3 speed hammerdrill, Ryobi RA, Ryobi 2 speed, Ryobi 2 speed lithium, Panasonic 14.4v, Ridgid 18v hammerdrill, Ridgid 24v hammerdrill, B&D 14.4v lithium, Skil 7.6v lithium, B&D 7.4v versapack, or Bosch T-handle corded drill.

Thankfully, my choices are less confusing because I no longer have to worry about the Bosch 12v because I just sold it on Ebay, the Makita 18v...likewise, or the Ridgid compact 18v...returned to HD.

The sad thing is I probably forgot a drill or two when typing that.

The first step in recovery is admitting you have a problem.....

Comment

Problem, what problem? Those guys who don't own a drill have the problem, losers. Heck, I have a flock of big chains saws and I don't even have any trees left on my property. I keep them just in case CT gets hit with a hurricane. I recently got rid of a few tools on E-Bay, Hilti TE5, Ingersoll Rand 8053, hurts to even think about it. Now that we've established "We" don't have a problem, let's turn our attention back to Tom! What's it gonna take to get this guy down to Home Depot and Man up to some seriously unnecessary tools? Tom needs to get off that fence and make a choice, it's either join the elite who are prepared for anything or be one of those guys looking to borrow a real tool because he bought something light and fluffy. Make us proud Tom, 24 or 36 volt nothing less will do. If anyone asks why you needed a 36 volt three speed hammerdrill to hang eight by ten picture frames, tell them if they have to ask they would not understand.

Comment

This has me laughing at the poster I see in a local tool rental yard. If you have a few small bushes to plant, which of these do you really want/need to make use of? Please see both pictures and you'll get the idea. Now if you needed to plant a few big trees then you might want to think about this some.

No one tool or set of tools will do all jobs well so sometimes we need more than just one of a given type of tool and to select the one best suited for the job at hand.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by Woussko; 10-23-2007, 03:29 AM.

Comment

Heck, I have a flock of big chains saws and I don't even have any trees left on my property.
                            I could probably count the guys who actually own a chainsaw on one hand in my neighborhood. Yes, I'm one of them. Heck, half my neighbors don't even own mowers. They have a lawn service. We live in an age where people can tell you all kinds of info about the latest stock market darling or the latest mp3 player but couldn't light a fire without box of matches and a can of lighter fluid.

I recall one visit by a neighbor where she was amazed I'd installed an overhead fan...like that was rocket science. "Oh, my husband could never do something like that." She said. These are the people that call the plumber when the flap on their toilet starts leaking.
                            Last edited by Disaster; 10-23-2007, 07:51 AM.

Comment

Disaster, I live in one of those neighborhoods although through a turnover there are now a couple of hands on guys. I remember having a few of the wives impressed with how handy I was around my property and home, and one of them asked if I could give her husband some handyman tips. He was quick to point out once we were out of her hearing range that he had no intention of ever using "Tools", his spare time was spent playing golf or watching sports! I get a good feeling from being a helpful neighbor in a pinch, but some of the folks will try and take advantage if I let them. I laugh when we have a power failure and few of these rather wealthy business types have a flashlight, is it that difficult to prepare for such and event? I have a propane Coleman camping stove and a few other things that allow me to weather the weather. I've been joking on these boards but I take the safety, comfort and welfare of my family and myself seriously. I think any man who loves his family should own a chainsaw and extreme power tools (Tom).

Comment

Woussko ...... I want that 1st (pic) tool for my next desert shrubs!

My addiction seems to be finding more options ... NOT necessarily owning them ...

One local HD just got in 2 Milwaukee kits (0920-24) $399. with almost everything I want. They will also do 10% ... given the current HD on-line offer. IN ADDITION ... Milwaukee is offering a Free Tool mail-in deal, with these kits, where one can choose either an extra V18 Batt, an Impact Driver, or a Job-site Radio. Just when I was ready to jump, I saw Amazon's listing for the 0920-29 Kit (includes Circ Saw) for $435. including shipping. It also qualifies for the Free Tool.

Since I have not 'jumped on' either super deal, my addiction seems clear .... I get really pumped up on these deals, but don't really NEED the tools .... like some helpful, earlier posters. ..... but I still keep looking at Amazon's deal.

The Impact Driver OR 2nd Drill/Driver are not critical but would really make my trim work more efficient. The Recip Saw is an overkill but useful for the 'infrequent' thorny shrub pruning. The rest are like all the other stuff on the 'eat-all-you-want' buffet spread since the 'Kits' offer so much for so little more. [[ What I can justify costs ~$300. but I get so much more for ~$400. ]]

Apologies for all the 'non-helpful' b-s, but maybe some will benefit from he Amazon.com info above.

Tom B
                                Last edited by doubtingtom; 10-23-2007, 10:18 AM. Reason: error

Comment

Working...
                                X