Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Heavy Duty vs Compact Drills & Drivers __Really struggling

Originally posted by doubtingtom View Post
    Just when I was ready to jump, I saw Amazon's listing for the 0920-29 Kit (includes Circ Saw) for $435. including shipping. It also qualifies for the Free Tool.
    I would jump on that deal.

In fact, I'm tempted to sell the rest of my Ridgid tools on Ebay and move over to Milwaukee.

I'd miss the 24v sabre saw but I bet Milwaukee eventually offers one.

The main thing that attracts me to Milwaukee is the availability of accessories like batteries. With Milwaukee you aren't captive to the whims of Home Depot's tool stocking managers.

Comment

Tom,
      The fact that you are on this forum alone indicates that you have "the gene". So no matter what you get initially, it really does not matter. You WILL end up adding to the arsenal. Resistance is FUTILE. I know this from experience So, you might as well jump in and get your feet wet.

Here is how I manage my addiction:
      1. Just buy it.
      2. Hide it in the shop.
      3. When tool is sighted by LOML, claim to have had it for months.

Ern

Comment

Waaa Hooooo!
        DHL just delivered my Makita Impact! See ya guys, be out in the shop.

Ern

Comment

Originally posted by erngum View Post
          Waaa Hooooo!
          DHL just delivered my Makita Impact! See ya guys, be out in the shop.
          Ern
          Well ??? ......... I trust the new driver did all you expected. I now feel this is the clear leader in this class of tools with the Bosch PS 20/40 for for lighter, smaller situations and Milwaukee Kits for really husky needs.

My choice revolves around the recip saw and Milwaukee 0920-24 for a battery solution or the Makita B&W pair if saw can be corded.

Good luck with your new 'toy'!

Tom B
          Last edited by doubtingtom; 10-24-2007, 09:49 AM. Reason: reword

Comment

Originally posted by doubtingtom View Post
            Well ??? ......... I trust the new driver did all you expected. I now feel this is the clear leader in this class of tools with the Bosch PS 20/40 for for lighter, smaller situations and Milwaukee Kits for really husky needs.

My choice revolves around the recip saw and Milwaukee 0920-24 for a battery solution or the Makita B&W pair if saw can be corded.

Good luck with your new 'toy'!

Tom B

Wow!
            Previously, my only experience actually using an impact was the Ryobi 18v, and Ridgid 12v right angle. The Makita will actually drill most of a 3/8" hole through a 2x4 without the impact mechanism engaging. I was surprised.

The balance is incredible. I was comparing it to my PS40 and although the Makita is actually a tad heavier. The Makita actually feels lighter than the Bosch when in use. This is because the Bosch is top heavy due to the tiny battery, and metal housing. The Makita feels totally neutral in your hand. The Makita also fits nicely in the Bosch holster I got w/ the PS40.

OK Tom,
            Your turn to tell us about what ya got!
            Ern

Comment

Wow! ....... <edit>
              The balance is incredible. I was comparing it to my PS40 and although the Makita is actually a tad heavier. The Makita actually feels lighter than the Bosch when in use. This is because the Bosch is top heavy due to the tiny battery, and metal housing. The Makita feels totally neutral in your hand.
              OK Tom,
              Your turn to tell us about what ya got!
              Ern
              ------------------------------
              Hang in there .... it's very close now. Your PS40-2 comments are very relevant as it was quite high behind the B&W Makita. Dollars no longer count since my two remaining choices are within $48. of each other.

Milwaukee 0920-24 Kit or Makita B&W Kit + Ridgid corded Recip Saw. No question that I will enjoy USING the Makita pair ... no question that I get a 'ton' of great 'interchangeable' cordless tools with Milwaukee. The likely hernia gets no value points.

Comment

Re: Heavy Duty vs Compact Drills &amp; Drivers __Really struggling

Hey Tom,
                I was in HD today, and I saw that they still have a few of those promotional Makita AVT recip. saws with free angle grinder. I believe it was $179. Your store(s) may have a few left.

Here's a link for the saw:

http://www.amazon.com/Makita-JR3070C...3278959&sr=1-1

They are supposed to be one of the smoothest running sawzalls out there.

Ern

Comment

Hey Tom,
                  I was in HD today, and I saw that they still have a few of those promotional Makita AVT recip. saws with free angle grinder. I believe it was $179. Your store(s) may have a few left.
                  They are supposed to be one of the smoothest running sawzalls out there.
                  Ern
                  A deal like that would definitely work ... have not seen this at either local store or HD online, but will definitely doublecheck tomorrow. The corded Milwaukee 6520-21 was on my list at $149. so $30. more for the grinder adds a little incentive and the Makita may be a better saw as well.

Thanks for the info.
                  Tom B
                  Last edited by doubtingtom; 10-24-2007, 11:55 PM. Reason: addition

Comment

The Makita Recip-Saw in the pack at HD for $179 is the best Recip-saw I have ever used. I picked it up because it was a great deal and had the free grinder. I read that the Anti vibration they used on it really helped and man did it ever. The Recip is heavy-duty not and gives much less vibration back to my hands than other saws I have used. I liked my Milwuakee because they have always made the best Sawzalls. I was surprised that this Makita was much easier to use and had less vibration for me than my Milwaukee.

Comment

• Re: Heavy Duty vs Compact Drills &amp; Drivers __ Bingo!!

Neither of my local HD's (or Lowes) have any Makita Recip Saws except in a few kits.

My exhaustive (and exhausting) search is complete and the choices certainly surprise me ....... One (1) Ridgid R3001 Corded Recip Saw and One (1) R86006 18V L-I Drill/Driver.

This has drawn out so long (and many posts) that the supporting detail has been covered in 'tidbits' throughout this Thread and need not be repeated. Ridgid's product offerings met my needs best, pricing was excellent, and the LSA had a dominant effect. I am very content with these choices and most appreciative of the many helpful comments since my initial post. I could not be so comfortable with the outcome without so many perspectives covering the range of potential choices.

Sincere thanks and best regards,
                      Tom B
                      Last edited by doubtingtom; 10-26-2007, 03:42 PM. Reason: title logo

Comment

• Re: Heavy Duty vs Compact Drills &amp; Drivers __ Bingo!!

You can't go wrong with Milwaukee they coined the term "Sawzall" and have been building these things for a long time. The quality is also top shelf. That being said you can get the base model 10 amp corded model 6509-22 for $129.60.

http://www.ohiopowertool.com/item-de...fm?&ID=6509-22
                        Jay
                        Ohio Power Tool - Ridgid
                        Coptool - Power Tool Blog

Comment

• Re: Heavy Duty vs Compact Drills &amp; Drivers __Really struggling

A 6509 for $129.60 ... Why pay that for one when I can get a factory reconditioned one (most are new with a ding or two and don't need any fixing) for $99.95 plus shipping.
                          http://www.powertoolservices.com/Tools/6509-22.htm

Sorry Jay but you'll have to do a little better. I bet a few forum members will show me up with better yet deals.

Comment

You can get the 6509-22 for $109 new at Depot. You can find it online for $90-100 new, so why buy recon for $100?!

Comment

The Milwaukee Sawzall line is the cream pf the crop in sawall saws. Simply built to take abuse,just examine the 10 and 13AMP units,they look like tanks and perform the part.

I have a large Makita 15AMP SVT sawall,tyhe 13AMP Milwaukee beats the Makita in toughness and performance.And the big Makita is no whimp.

For corded circular saws,sawall or drills Milwaukee is very high quality and extreme durability.

Makes the competition look like toys...no Ryobi for sure.

Comment

My Makita JR3070 Recip saw destroys anything Milwuakee has out right now. I tried both at the store and even did some speed tests. The Anti vibration technology that the Makita has really works to reduce the vibration. I couldn't believe it until I tried it.

Comment

Working...
                                X