X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Framing nailer

I have 2 Framing guns and as of late they are getting nails jammed in the head. I disconnect the air and push the piston head back past the jammed nail, then put oil in an reconnect the air hose. Three nails later, its jammed again. It uses the clip head nails in stick form.

I need to know what causes this and if possible how to cure it. I am too old to be hammering all these nails

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated
    thank you
    old one

Re: Framing nailer

some Ideas,
    dirt in the magazine and causing the nails to drag, and not advance,
    wrong nails with glue strip or what ever not located in the correct location and dragging on the magazine,
    wrong angle of nail,
    something bent or dented,
    spring dirty or wore out,
    follower messed up,
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
      some Ideas,
      dirt in the magazine and causing the nails to drag, and not advance,
      wrong nails with glue strip or what ever not located in the correct location and dragging on the magazine,
      wrong angle of nail,
      something bent or dented,
      spring dirty or wore out,
      follower messed up,
      Ditto, he pretty much summed it up........
      Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

A couple of other possibilities...

- The gun is lacking power because it needs new o rings (or other worn parts in piston head driver mechanism)
        - The gun is lacking power because the proper psi is not being applied (maybe try upping the pressure from the compressor a tad)
        Cheers! - Jim
        -------------
        All truth passes through three stages: First it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. - Schopenhauer

Comment

Gentleman

I certainly do appreciate all the replies, for I can assure you that I need all the help I can get on this one.

I have cleaned the track out and also the head. I then put a light coat of oil on the head.

The nails are advancing fine, it's jamming in the head in between the anvil (or whatever you call that part that strikes the head of the nail) and the anvil guide.

It's almost as if the anvil is rounded off or the guide itself has spread.

My old eyes aren't what they used to be, even with glasses.

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated. I would hate to think about having to buy another one because they are expensive.

Comment

What brand nail gun and what brand nails. Not all are compatible, unfortunately.

Comment

Originally posted by Disaster View Post
              What brand nail gun and what brand nails. Not all are compatible, unfortunately.
              Paslode and Porter Cable are the brand of guns, I have 4 brands of nails but I cant remember the names and it is late, plus the lights aren't hooked up. I will get that information tomorrow.
              Thank you

Comment

If the drivers are wore or bent they will need to be reconditioned or replaced
                Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                attributed to Samuel Johnson
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Last night I decided that I had to have this job completed before winter so I went online at Home Depot and ordered a Ridgid Framing Nailer (full head } and will send both these in to be reconditioned if I cannot cure the problem today.

I am using the same brand nails Paslode and Porter Cable. The other brand is for shorter nails {Bostich} and they was working fine but I haven't used them as of late. I will try them again today.

My arthritus is acting up so I will get a late start today.
                  thanks so much

Comment

Working...
                  X