Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
R851150b Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • R851150b

    I've bought 2 of these pieces of crap and
    both of them have fried the motors after
    drilling through otherwise easy 2x4
    studs for pipes

    Now I know why home depot was clearing
    these things out. but at 250 bucks for a drill
    you expect a little more quality from Rigid.

    I'm highly dissappointed in this product, as well as the length of
    use for the batteries that need charging within a 3 hour period
    so much for 24V-XLI

    Anyone else had this same problem ?
    Last edited by plumbmaster; 10-15-2007, 11:22 PM. Reason: spelling

  • #2
    Re: R851150b

    Originally posted by plumbmaster View Post
    I've bought 2 of these pieces of crap and
    both of them have fried the motors after
    drilling through otherwise easy 2x4
    studs for pipes

    Now I know why home depot was clearing
    these things out. but at 250 bucks for a drill
    you expect a little more quality from Rigid.

    I'm highly dissappointed in this product, as well as the length of
    use for the batteries that need charging within a 3 hour period
    so much for 24V-XLI

    Anyone else had this same problem ?
    Hey Upland Ca.
    I did a burger king in you town in the 90's
    welcome to the forum.

    by the way rough plumbing tools need tails.The tool you bought is for screws onsite or the hobbyshop.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: R851150b

      Thanks for the welcome drtyhands

      You must have done the Bk on Mountain Ave. Place is still there.

      Well I expected more out of this drill, especially with the rigid name, the hammer drill function seemed to work ok, but the drill couldnt drill through peanut butter on a hot day if it tried.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: R851150b

        Originally posted by plumbmaster View Post
        Thanks for the welcome drtyhands

        You must have done the Bk on Mountain Ave. Place is still there.

        Well I expected more out of this drill, especially with the rigid name, the hammer drill function seemed to work ok, but the drill couldnt drill through peanut butter on a hot day if it tried.
        Mountain Ave. AAAHHH the memories.

        Wow,that bad,I had no idea.I have the Dewalt 18,how does the Ridgid go toe to toe? or Hole to Hole?

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: R851150b

          Originally posted by plumbmaster View Post
          I've bought 2 of these pieces of crap and
          both of them have fried the motors after
          drilling through otherwise easy 2x4
          studs for pipes
          You are the first I've heard of "fried" motors. What was the symptoms?

          The Ridgid batteries have overcurrent protection built into them. Usually, if you hit a snag and push them they will just shut down.

          Then you have to pop them back in the charger to wake them back up.

          In my experience, the protection is a bit conservative. I've had way too many shutdowns for my tastes. Really inconvenient to have to climb down from the ladder, trudge back inside, pull out and plug in the charger, and pop in the battery just to reset it. They really should have built a reset switch into the battery or tool.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: R851150b

            Originally posted by plumbmaster View Post
            I've bought 2 of these pieces of crap and
            both of them have fried the motors after
            drilling through otherwise easy 2x4
            studs for pipes

            Now I know why home depot was clearing
            these things out. but at 250 bucks for a drill
            you expect a little more quality from Rigid.

            I'm highly dissappointed in this product, as well as the length of
            use for the batteries that need charging within a 3 hour period
            so much for 24V-XLI

            Anyone else had this same problem ?
            I have not heard of anyone having a problem with burning out motors. My experiance with that drill is it should eat up 2x4 studs without breaking a sweat. Something is not right.
            I purchased my first 24V LI set in Jan 07. The batteries were defective which according to posts on this forum was a widespread problem. Exchanged that set in March 07 and have worked this set pretty hard without any problems. I have had no battery issues with the replacement set either.
            When did you purchase yours and how long did you use them before the motors burnt up? Did you take either drill to a repair center and if you did what did they say about the problem?

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: R851150b

              When did you purchase yours and how long did you use them before the motors burnt up? Did you take either drill to a repair center and if you did what did they say about the problem?

              WELL THE FIRST ONE LASTED ALL BUT 2 DAYS WHILE DRILLING THRU A 2X6

              AND IT DOES USUALLY EAT UP THE 2X4'S LIKE A HUNGRY FAT LADY ON SUNDAY

              I RETURNED THE FIRST ONE TO HOME DEPOT AND GOT A STRAIGHT ACROSS EXCHANGE, NO PROBLEM WITH THE LAST ONE UNTIL 7 MONTHS LATER WHILE DRILLING THRU 2X4 STUDS, GIVEN THE STUD DID HAVE A KNOT IN IT, BUT STILL SHOULD NOT HAVE FRIED THE MOTOR

              I'VE ACTUALLY RESEARCHED THESE HAMMER DRILL COMBO'S QUITE EXTENSIVELY, I THOUGHT I WOULD GIVE RIGID A CHANCE TO PROVE ITSELF TO ME, AND I DO OWN MANY OTHER RIGID POWER TOOLS, SAWSALL WORM SAW ETC....

              IF GIVEN THE OPPORTUNITY I WOULD GLADLY EXCHANGE THIS TOOL FOR THE MILWUAKEE HAMMER DRILL, WHICH MY BUDDY JUST BOUGHT.

              NOT ONLY IS IT LIGHTER IN WEIGHT IT DOES EXACTLY WHAT THE RIGID DOES WITHOUT A SWEAT BEAD

              MOST OF THE MOTORS (if not all) ARE MADE OVERSEA'S THE QUALITY IS POOR

              SO I'M TAKING THIS LAST ONE TO THE REPAIR SHOP THIS WEEK

              STAY TUNED FOR THE REST OF THE STORY

              YOURS IN FIREWORK DRILLS,

              PLUMBMASTER


              inlandvalleyplumbing.com

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: R851150b

                Originally posted by plumbmaster View Post
                MOST OF THE MOTORS (if not all) ARE MADE OVERSEA'S THE QUALITY IS POOR
                Ridgid is a subsidiary of Emerson and exclusively uses Emerson motors. Emerson motors have a pretty good reputation and are a supplier to many different companies. I don't think you can make a blanket statement that motor made overseas are of poor quality.

                http://www.emersonmotors.com/products/index.htm

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: R851150b

                  crack Open The Case Of Any Power Tool In America Today

                  stamped On The Side Of Every Motor Is Made In :

                  taiwan
                  thailand

                  etc..

                  maybe Rigid Is An Exception Or So I Thought Until The Service Tech Cracked Open My Case Today At His Shop To Verify The Motor Firework, Sure Enough Made In Malaysia

                  does Emerson Have A Malaysian Division ?


                  hell I've Owned Over 500 Power Tools Since My Beggining In The Trades, Only Black And Decker Used To Make Its Own Motors, That Was Decades Before Dewalt Ever Showed Up On The Scene


                  i Believe Milwuakee Uses The Same Emerson Motor Doesnt It ?


                  still Out Time And Money For A 250.00 Dolla Firework

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: R851150b

                    Milwaukee has made and still makes some of the motors used in their larger corded power tools here in the USA but more and more (all brands) are being made off shore using slave labor.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: R851150b

                      Not sure if Milwaukee uses Emerson motors. The relationship, is complicated.

                      Milwaukee and Ryobi are both owned by TTI (Techtronic Industries.)

                      http://www.ttigroup.com/fileLibrary/...75335fc477b607

                      TTI designs and manufacturers the tools for Ridgid under Emerson's Ridgid brand name.

                      It makes sense for TTI to use Emerson motors for the Emerson branded Ridgid tool lineup. Not sure if they use them for their own lineup of tools, though Emerson is the world's largest manufacturer of the "fractional horsepower" motors (according to their website) and therefore, if TTI purchases the motors, as opposed to making their own, it is likely Emerson would be on their short list.

                      Another huge manufacturer of motors, and likely source, is Johnson. Johnson motors are everywhere. I suspect they are the largest manufacturer of smaller motors...like you find in RC cars and small appliances.

                      http://www.johnsonelectric.com/products/pd.html

                      Emerson is a huge global company that started in the U.S making fan motors.

                      http://www.emersonmotors.com/about/history.htm

                      I don't know how many motors that actually manufacturer in the U.S. anymore.
                      Last edited by Disaster; 10-23-2007, 12:14 AM.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: R851150b

                        I just bought the combo kit R931 which has this drill in it and soon as I charged up the first batt and popped it in i saw that the chuck was horribly out of alignment and put in a bit to check it and it was very wobbly, I took it back to HD and had an associate help me check the other 2 kits they had in stock and 1 was worse and 1 was much better but not perfect so i got the better one and sent an e-mail to tech support and we'll See what they say.

                        I expected more from Ridged really because the price $269.00 is high compared to my cheepo 14.4 ryobi that is 2 years old now and that the other one thats 4 years old now are perfectly straight and true. I do however look forward to using this combo especially the sawsall since it was long over due that I replace the one I got at a pawn shop about 20 plus years ago for 20 bucks and its a Milwaukee with a metal hand grip, the only one I've ever seen and still kicks butt. well I'll let ya know what they say.
                        ROMANS 10:9 confess with your mouth that JESUS is LORD and believe in your heart that GOD raised him from the dead and you will be Saved.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: R851150b

                          ok so the repair shop has had my drill for over a month now

                          still not repaired, so i went and bought an impact driver in the meantime

                          Then I'm thinking should i have bought milwuakee ?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: R851150b

                            Originally posted by Disaster View Post
                            The Ridgid batteries have overcurrent protection built into them. Usually, if you hit a snag and push them they will just shut down.

                            Then you have to pop them back in the charger to wake them back up.

                            In my experience, the protection is a bit conservative. I've had way too many shutdowns for my tastes. Really inconvenient to have to climb down from the ladder, trudge back inside, pull out and plug in the charger, and pop in the battery just to reset it. They really should have built a reset switch into the battery or tool.
                            Now; does this concern anyone except me?

                            I did alot of research before pulling the trigger on a 24v drill & recip-saw (eBay), and I need these tools for demanding contractor work. I'd never before heard of motors burning up, or batteries that trip requiring a plugin to the charger. I thought I'd covered all my bases by buying tools which had not yet been registered and getting receipt and UPC so I could have the lifetime warranty, but it looks like I may have made a mistake.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: R851150b

                              Originally posted by Quantum View Post
                              Now; does this concern anyone except me?

                              I did alot of research before pulling the trigger on a 24v drill & recip-saw (eBay), and I need these tools for demanding contractor work. I'd never before heard of motors burning up, or batteries that trip requiring a plugin to the charger. I thought I'd covered all my bases by buying tools which had not yet been registered and getting receipt and UPC so I could have the lifetime warranty, but it looks like I may have made a mistake.
                              Have you used them since you bought them? Doing contract work I use mine hard almost every day and have not had a single problem. I work them very hard in the recip and circ saws and they perform very well. We have not had to open up the corded Milwaukee recip once since getting the Ridgid 24V set. There are alot of semi-pro complainers and rumor mongers on this forum. In fact, sometimes I suspect some work for one of the competitors.
                              Just get out there and work em. They'll take it.
                              Last edited by roadrashray; 11-21-2007, 05:13 PM.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X