Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DeWalt 18V LI pricing......

Here:http://www.toologics.com/Manufacture...071010407.html

I don't know how to do that cool procedure where all the address "floatsome" can be hidden. Maybe someone can explain.
    Thanks..Ray

Re: DeWalt 18V LI pricing......

Originally posted by roadrashray View Post
    Great to see right now! Was going to wait for new DeWalt Christmas tool arrivals but the likely pricing and availability sounds tough.

Makes the Ridgid 24v L-I pricing seem 'more in line' as well ...... especially given the Lifetime Warranty program. (HD may reverse their decision and let me 'rebuy' .... will know later today.)

Thanks,
    Tom B

Comment

I considered moving over to DeWalt, now that they have embraced LiIon technology, but reading about these prices cooled my heels.

IMHO, $150, for a single battery is ridiculous. I understand that DeWalt, has commanded a premium vs. Ryobi, but 80% more (comparing the battery/charger kits at $180 and $100) is too much.

DeWalts are not that much better than Ryobi.

LiIon is getting less expensive as it becomes more universal and shouldn't cost this much of a premium over NiCad.

Today, I picked up the Ryobi Lithium Ion Drill and light kit. For $150, it included a charger, two batteries, drill and flashlight. All this for the same price as a single DeWalt battery.

Ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by Disaster View Post
        Today, I picked up the Ryobi Lithium Ion Drill and light kit. For $150, it included a charger, two batteries, drill and flashlight. All this for the same price as a single DeWalt battery.

Ridiculous.
        This is what I was going to come in and say. I don't know why the upgrade kit is either priced high or the drill kit priced low. I have and will continue to sell a lot of the Drill Kit (Drill, Flashlight [which by the way is a lot better in design than the standard blue Ryobi], 2 batteries, and a charger) and hardly any of the upgrade kit. For an extra 60ish dollars you get drill, flashlight and another battery. No one is going to pass that up.

Comment

DeWalts are not that much better than Ryobi.
          Um... the new ryobi lithium ion packs are 2.4 Ah. That is the capacity of the OLD dewalt nicad packs.

Comment

Originally posted by l_bilyk View Post
            Um... the new ryobi lithium ion packs are 2.4 Ah. That is the capacity of the OLD dewalt nicad packs.
            2.4Ah is the same capacity as DeWalt's 36 volt Lithium Ion Nano battery and the suggested capacity of the new 18 volt Nano batteries which would make sense because they would most likely use the same individual cells.

http://toolmonger.com/2007/07/13/a-s...ts-18v-li-ion/

Comment

P.S. DeWalts 36 volt batteries can be found for $110. They have twice the power as the 18 volt cells. Shouldn't the 18 volt batteries cost considerably less than $110?

http://www.amazon.com/DeWalt-DC9360-...2705690&sr=1-1

Of course, this is a bit of an Apples to Oranges comparison as $150 might be the "list price" of the 18 volt cell while $110 is the going price for the 36 volt cells.

I suspect you won't see the DeWalt 18 volt Nanos discounted for a while as the initial demand will be quite high. It might even take a while longer than normal because there is a much larger installed base of 18 volt tools to keep the demand high.

Which leads to the issue with Ridgid. Battery availability. Because they aren't available in stores, only special order, HD appears to charge the "list" price for them. This make them completely uncompetitive with batteries from the other tool companies and puts Ridgid at a severe disadvantage.
              Last edited by Disaster; 10-18-2007, 08:17 AM.

Comment

Remember that those prices are manufacturer suggested retail prices. Those prices don't reflect what the final market prices will be. It's the same as their NiCD having suggested retail prices of $110 and the 36v batteries are supposed to be about $180+ yet they sell in the market for about $65 and $110 respectively. They might go for that right after release but they will quickly drop to match other prices of similar 18v packs. I would expect them to sell for significantly less. I would also expect the ones sold in kits with the tools to be competive with other lithium ion kits which will make the price a lot easier.

Comment

I can't see DeWalt charging a premium over everyone else in the 18V Li Ion market. At this stage, they are one of the last to come out with it, everyone else has had a chance to establish themselves, so to put out batteries at a much higher price than the others would be suicide at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by Sceeter W Wheels View Post
                    I can't see DeWalt charging a premium over everyone else in the 18V Li Ion market. At this stage, they are one of the last to come out with it, everyone else has had a chance to establish themselves, so to put out batteries at a much higher price than the others would be suicide at this point.
                    Maybe they think they can charge a premium because they claim to have superior battery technology. Just look at this chart they released that shows how much longer life their battery has when compared to the competitors blue and red batteries (which look suspiciously like Makita and Milwaukees colors.)

Interestingly, they claim even their NiCad batteries outperform the competitions Lithium Ion.

Comment

By the way, I doubt DeWalt is exagerating the lifecycle of the A123 cells they use, though they are failing to mention that they will have considerably lower Ah after 2000 cycles.

On the other hand, I wonder what technologies the competitors are using and if they really live up to their claims or actually perform more like DeWalt's chart.

The guys over at the RC groups have really been beating the heck out of A123 cells they have removed from DeWalt 36 volt batteries. Here is a graph of the power left after 400 cycles....20% lower than DeWalts new claim but still pretty impressive when you consider conventional Lithium Ion batteries would be long since dead under these conditions.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...672512&page=10

Comment

Well yeah, batteries lose their capacities the more you use them. This is a very well known fact.

DeWalt or anyone else could publish all kinds of graphs like this, but unfortunately there's a limit you reach before you start to confuse the buyer. Some of the techie types eat this stuff up, but most people just want to know, will the tool do what I need? will it last a long time? will i get my money's worth?

Comment

Originally posted by Sceeter W Wheels View Post
                          Well yeah, batteries lose their capacities the more you use them. This is a very well known fact.

DeWalt or anyone else could publish all kinds of graphs like this, but unfortunately there's a limit you reach before you start to confuse the buyer. Some of the techie types eat this stuff up, but most people just want to know, will the tool do what I need? will it last a long time? will i get my money's worth?
                          True, most people wouldn't know what to do with a graph like this

But it might be useful if it could be communicated to them at the battery would lose, say, 50% of it's capacity after 2000 uses. I suspect some people wouldn't even pitch a battery that still worked at half it's original capacity. I wonder if the A123 cells fall off drastically after 2000 cycles or just continue to decrease at the same rate.

Comment

Here's something to consider. If you fully cycled from your nano batteries from 0 to 100% twice a day, every single day, all seven days of the week, it would take about 2 years and 9 months to reach the theoretical 2000 cycles limit. In that time the battery will probably already have lost about 40% to 60% of its capacity regardless of it being used or not.

Comment

In a way that's the whole point of saying 2000 recharges. Someone's going to throw their battery out when they perceive it as no longer useful. I guess DeWalt figure that's at 50, 60% or whatever they found out is the typical point where someone gets fed up with their battery.

But it might be useful if it could be communicated to them at the battery would lose, say, 50% of it's capacity after 2000 uses. I suspect some people wouldn't even pitch a battery that still worked at half it's original capacity. I wonder if the A123 cells fall off drastically after 2000 cycles or just continue to decrease at the same rate.

Comment

Working...
                              X