Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't decide: Corded Drill DW235G ? or Hitachi D13VF?

Hitachi is $10 cheaper (not that it matters) but has higher amp rating + case. The DW235G is just barebone and lower amp.... but the DW "feels" better in my hands.

I'm buying a drill to replace my 20+ yrs low-end , low power Skil corded drill strickly for home projects. I want to buy a reliable 1/2 drill. These two fits my bill but which one of them is better?

Pls give me some advise. Tks.

Re: Can't decide: Corded Drill DW235G ? or Hitachi D13VF?

I have an old B&D Pro that's the exact same drill as the Dewalt DW235G, and it is one hell of a drill. The torque will break your wrist if you're not careful. Haven't tried the Hitachi, but I'd go with the Dewalt DW235G or the Milwaukee 0300-20.

Comment

If you don't need super power or torque but want a good 1/2" Pistol Grip VSR drill, take a good look at the Milwaukee 0234-1 which may be sold as the 0234-6 (Instructions in several languages) as it's a tried and proven model. If I were really thinking about the Dewalt DW235, I would also look at the DW239. The Milwaukee 0300-20 has power but it's a long and nose heavy model. Some like it and others don't. The 0234 feels nicer in most peoples' hands. Another drill you might like is the Makita DP4000.

I should warn people that high powered pistol grip drills are dangerous wrist busters. If you need a really powerful and tuff 1/2" drill, please consider a spade handle drill like a DeWalt DW131 or Milwaukee 1660. You have 2 good beefy handles to hang on to, much tuffer gears and a real motor. These are workhorse tools.

Comment

If you feel that the DeWalt will fulfill your needs then that's the way I'd go. It's always better to have a hand tool that fits your hand vs. one that feels cumbersome while holding it.
        Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Thanks for all the info and suggestions, guys! I went to Lowes during the lunch hoour & came out with a DW235G .

I did look for the Milwaukees and other DW, they all are very nice and should be better than the 235G, but unfortunately they all exceeded my "ceiling" of $100.

Thanks for your feedback, I have no doubt that this will last me a long time.

Comment

Send or take the drill for basic service about once a year depending on use and it should be around for a good long time.

Comment

Get the Dewalt. I think the g model has a anti kick back circuit. When it senses the drill going into stall or binding it cuts the juice. I think your 235g is that model that has this.
              You can never have enough drills-too many is just enough!!!!!

Comment

http://www.dewalt.com/us/products/to...sp?productID=6 My bad!!!!!This is it!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Or for more toque this one: http://www.dewalt.com/us/products/to...sp?productID=8

Comment

Originally posted by Akita View Post
                    Get the Dewalt. I think the g model has a anti kick back circuit. When it senses the drill going into stall or binding it cuts the juice. I think your 235g is that model that has this.
                    That would be a great safety feature...especially on a high torque drill. Another one would be an inertia switch that would kill the power if the drill spins. I went half a dozen revolutions before the extension cord wrapped around me enough to unplug from the wall socket.

Comment

Ahhhh... nice! Thanks for the recommendation. Only if I want to go beyond what I want to spend ... oh well ... may be I'll just make a kill- switch on the handle

Comment

Originally posted by Wagon Man View Post
                        may be I'll just make a kill- switch on the handle
                        FYI, a kill switch attached to you doesn't really work when you are gripping the drill handle for all you are worth. Now if it were attached to the work surface it might actually help. I like the idea of something even faster that would work with the drill brake. That would not only save you in the spin situation but probably save a few teeth as well.

When drills catch it can be real nasty....Broken jaws, wrists, people thrown off buildings.

Comment

I got hit in the jaw with my Milwaukee RAD, but not too badly luckily!

Comment

Working...
                          X