X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• why not buy rigid cordless drill?

i just bought the LiIon 18V drill. haven't opened the box. besides the whole Ah thing,

1) why don't more people buy rigid cordless tools if you can eventually get a free battery or two out of it?
    2) is it really true that they'll give you a battery when yours dies as long as you register it and send it to a service center?
    3) the makita is only $20 more, should i return the rigid and buy the makita?

i know, different tools for different people but i was interested in your opinion. thanks!

Re: why not buy rigid cordless drill?

To be fair, you should look at the pros and the cons.

Pros:
    1. Less expensive...better value.
    2. LSA, Lifetime Service Agreement (only service cost is shipping...and yes that includes batteries)
    3. Tough

Cons:
    1. Heavy (generally the heaviest cordless tools in their class) The drill you are looking at, for example is nearly a pound heavier than Makita's compact drill and nearly the same weight as Ryobi's full sized drill.
    2. Less service centers, longggg waits to get parts and service (How long can you afford to be without your tool?)
    3. Lack of accessories and difficulties gettings the ones that do exist because HD doesn't carry all of them and HD is the exclusive US dealer.
    4. High cost of accessories such as batteries. This is compounded because HD doesn't carry them so it charges the full "list" price to special order them.
    5. Less tools to choose from. If you are building up a collection of cordless tools that all run on the same battery Ridgid has a much smaller lineup than say DeWalt or Milwaukee. Cordless grinder?...Ridgid doesn't sell one. Cordless Nail gun...you are out of luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Disaster View Post
      To be fair, you should look at the pros and the cons.

Pros:
      1. Less expensive...better value.
      2. LSA, Lifetime Service Agreement (only service cost is shipping...and yes that includes batteries)
      3. Tough

Cons:
      1. Heavy (generally the heaviest cordless tools in their class) The drill you are looking at, for example is nearly a pound heavier than Makita's compact drill and nearly the same weight as Ryobi's full sized drill.
      2. Less service centers, longggg waits to get parts and service (How long can you afford to be without your tool?)
      3. Lack of accessories and difficulties gettings the ones that do exist because HD doesn't carry all of them and HD is the exclusive US dealer.
      4. High cost of accessories such as batteries. This is compounded because HD doesn't carry them so it charges the full "list" price to special order them.
      5. Less tools to choose from. If you are building up a collection of cordless tools that all run on the same battery Ridgid has a much smaller lineup than say DeWalt or Milwaukee. Cordless grinder?...Ridgid doesn't sell one. Cordless Nail gun...you are out of luck.
      I agree. Also, tools seem to disappear from the lineup sometimes.

Ern

Comment

Originally posted by erngum View Post
        I agree. Also, tools seem to disappear from the lineup sometimes.

Ern
        Disappear or become "unavailable" at Home Depot. Try to find a MaxSelect sabre saw. I've only seen them on the shelf once...about a year ago. The whole concept of the MaxSelect system, where you buy just what you need, when you need it, falls apart if the tool you need isn't available to buy.

This is in stark comparison to Ryobi. You can find nearly the entire lineup of Ryobi tools at every Home Depot you go into.

Heck, what is really strange is the complete lineup isn't even available on Home Depot's website. You think they could at least let you order the stuff there.
        Last edited by Disaster; 10-19-2007, 07:16 AM.

Comment

Ive also found that alot of people are hooked on names. I turn alot of people on to the Ridgid when they come in looking for a DeWalt Makita or Milwaukee. The LSA is what sets most people over the edge. Im getting one soon, to use both at work and home. Normally I wouldnt use my personal batteries at work but with LSA why not

A coworker of mine has that Makita Li Ion drill and it is nice, but in 6 months he has purchased 3 new batteries for it. The first 2 shouldve been covered under warranty though, but he lost his receipt. When the 3rd one went I began talking to him about the Ridgid, and he said he is going to put it on his list. I will be getting mine in about a month.

Comment

Anyone know what round trip s/h on the batteries is? That could cut heavily into the value of "free".

Comment

Originally posted by Orange Apron View Post
              Ive also found that alot of people are hooked on names. I turn alot of people on to the Ridgid when they come in looking for a DeWalt Makita or Milwaukee. The LSA is what sets most people over the edge. I'm getting one soon, to use both at work and home. Normally I wouldn't use my personal batteries at work but with LSA why not

A coworker of mine has that Makita Li Ion drill and it is nice, but in 6 months he has purchased 3 new batteries for it. The first 2 shouldve been covered under warranty though, but he lost his receipt. When the 3rd one went I began talking to him about the Ridgid, and he said he is going to put it on his list. I will be getting mine in about a month.

Can't HD pull up a copy of the receipt using his credit card? Assuming he bought at HD.

Comment

Can't HD pull up a copy of the receipt using his credit card? Assuming he bought at HD.
                HD can only pull up sales information from a credit card or the HD line of credit cards if they are within 90 days. (I think thats right. Orange Apron might have to back me up on this but I know both of us aren't cashiers there.)

Comment

Originally posted by cellardoor View Post
                  HD can only pull up sales information from a credit card or the HD line of credit cards if they are within 90 days. (I think thats right. Orange Apron might have to back me up on this but I know both of us aren't cashiers there.)
                  Thanks for the info. I accidentally shredded my Makita receipt. Oh well, live, pay, and learn.

Ern.

Comment

Originally posted by hewood View Post
                    Anyone know what round trip s/h on the batteries is? That could cut heavily into the value of "free".
                    Hewood......You could take them here in Rochester,NY
                    Specialty Tools Inc
                    3861 Buffalo Rd
                    Rochester
                    NY,14624
                    TEL: 585 594 1110
                    Fax: 585 594 0195

Comment

Thanks for the info. I accidentally shredded my Makita receipt. Oh well, live, pay, and learn.

Ern.
                      Ern.......If you paid by credit card I believe the your bank can provide duplicate info.

Comment

Originally posted by roadrashray View Post
                        Ern.......If you paid by credit card I believe the your bank can provide duplicate info.

Aha! never thought of that since I "usually" keep better track of things.

Thanks for the reminder,
                        Ern

Comment

I wouldn't buy a Rigid, but I would buy a Ridgid...

Comment

Working...
                          X