X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12v Ridgid Drill Lith?

I have both the 24v and the 12v Ridgid drills and quite happy with both of them. However, I use my 12V drill quite extensively. This little drill outlasts my fathers craftsman hands down. It also recharges FAST too.

This little 12V has power and it's light weight makes it easy to carry and throw in the back of the truck for on the job site.

I'm just wondering if they will be coming out with a lithium 12 volt. That would be a lightweight power house drill.

Cheers

Re: 12v Ridgid Drill Lith?

I have the Ridgid 12 volt right angle impact driver and this handy tool would do much better with a 12 volt lithium battery. I'm still waiting to hear if Ridgid will market a 3.0 AH 18volt lithium in addition to that anemic 1.5AH compact model. Here we wait in the land of "Wondering", sure would be great to get some feedback. Anyone from Ridgid actually reading these forums and care to get us some answers? Much appreciated.

Comment

There was a post recently about Milwaukee coming out with a little 12 volt driver, similar to Bosch's.

With Lithium's 3.6-4 volts per cell and flat form factor it isn't too difficult to deliver tools with very small packs at much higher voltages than their NiCad counterparts. Higher voltages equal more efficiency. Bottom line is a 4 cell pack of 14.4-16 volts could yield a drill that outperforms that old 12 volt of yours, handily, and is lighter to boot.

By the way, just got Sear's Craftsman Club circular and they have added both a 12 volt and 16 volt Lithium drill to their lineup (already have a 20 volt that is obviously manufactured by TTI.) They are $190 and $210. The "members" price drops them down to $170 and $180 which is more competitive with Ridgid's and Makita's compact drills. Their 20 volt drill runs $270 ($200 member price.) The ad doesn't mention the weight but the two bodies look exactly the same in the picture. Hopefully they were smart enough to make the 12 volt one more compact than the 16 volt one.

They do claim 2000 charge cycles...like DeWalt does with it's Nano/A123 cell batteries. Wonder what technology Sears is using.
      Last edited by Disaster; 10-19-2007, 10:34 AM.

Comment

Oooh, not a big fan of craftsman power tools anymore.

I had a vacuum that lasted three years until the motor would squeal and need to be greased every 50 uses.

I have a hefty duty hammer drill that I used at most 30 times before it started to not want to spin when you pulled the trigger. Will spin after you rotate the head a couple of times. About 7 yrs old

I have a 3-ton jack that now will not go up (doesn't keep pressure). About 5 yrs old

No sense of spending money @ sears anymore unless it is for hand tools.

I've had some Ridgid items (12" miter saw, SUV cart, 18V) for 3 - 4 yrs and no problems yet.

Comment

Originally posted by uoobuild View Post
          Oooh, not a big fan of craftsman power tools anymore.
          Know what you mean. But, a keep in mind that Sears doesn't really make any of their Craftsman power tools. So the trick is to figure out who makes the particular tool and determine if they are any good. Often the items are so similar that parts are interchangeable.

Someone even published a guide, you can probably find it if you Google for it, that gave the real manufacturer based on the Craftsman part number.

Sometimes you can find much better deals on the Craftsman line vs. the same tools under the original equipment manufacturer.

For example Craftsman's C3 line of interchangeable tools are basically twins to the Ryobi OnePlus lineup...except that they use 19.2 volt batteries vs. 18 volt. I haven't seen any "deals" on this line vs. Ryobi's prices at HD.

Similarly, the Lithium lineup of tools are also made by TTI, just like Ridgid, and are very similar...except for the lower voltage (20v) vs. (24v) and lower Ah, 2.2Ah vs. 3 Ah, and onboard worklight (Ridgid doesn't have one one except on it's new 18 volt compact drill.)

Another manufacturer who makes tools for Craftsman is Bosch. If I recall, Sears sliding compound miter saw was actually a Bosch. Sears had this at a considerably better price than Bosch a while back.

One added bonus to buying from Sears, vs. say Home Depot is that Sears is much better about providing parts and service down the road. I've even heard that sometimes, if they can't get parts, they will offer a swapout with a new tool, or at very least a substantial discount.
          Last edited by Disaster; 10-19-2007, 12:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
            I have the Ridgid 12 volt right angle impact driver and this handy tool would do much better with a 12 volt lithium battery. I'm still waiting to hear if Ridgid will market a 3.0 AH 18volt lithium in addition to that anemic 1.5AH compact model. Here we wait in the land of "Wondering", sure would be great to get some feedback. Anyone from Ridgid actually reading these forums and care to get us some answers? Much appreciated.
            ridgids 18 volt lithium is 2.9 ah, not 1.5. makitas compact is 1.5

Comment

Originally posted by staab29 View Post
              ridgids 18 volt lithium is 2.9 ah, not 1.5. makitas compact is 1.5
              Here we go again!!! :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Disaster View Post
                They do claim 2000 charge cycles...like DeWalt does with it's Nano/A123 cell batteries. Wonder what technology Sears is using.
                I'm sure they're using the same technology as the rest of the TTI offerings. It's interesting how TTI can put those product lines on the shelf for Sears, but leaves Ridgid apparently lagging in production with their Max Select line. TTI is not a small company either.

I would surely buy a 12v lithium batt. for my right-angle impact. But I'm almost sure it will never come, after all the 18v lithium line is still brand new, and HD seems to be clearancing the 12v NiCd line.

Ern

Comment

Sorry Disaster, but Staab started it. Okay, let's be clear about this, as of right now the ONLY 18 volt lithium battery Ridgid is selling is the compact 1.5AH. The information that it was 2.9AH is incorrect. Some of us are hoping they will make the higher AH 18 volt lithium and according to Josh, it is in the works but right now it does not exist.

Comment

Originally posted by erngum View Post
                    I'm sure they're using the same technology as the rest of the TTI offerings. It's interesting how TTI can put those product lines on the shelf for Sears, but leaves Ridgid apparently lagging in production with their Max Select line. TTI is not a small company either.

I would surely buy a 12v lithium batt. for my right-angle impact. But I'm almost sure it will never come, after all the 18v lithium line is still brand new, and HD seems to be clearancing the 12v NiCd line.

Ern
                    Too bad they didn't keep the attachment the same. Then we could just buy the Sears Craftsman battery. I've got the RA impact too.

Comment

Working...
                    X