Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inexpensive impact with gobs of torque.

I've read a couple reviews of this impact gun (under another brand name) and the owners were impressed. The price is really impressive. I wish Ridgid would offer something like this in their MaxSelect lineup.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=361120

Here it is sold by another supplier.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=1N9TK82VT0EUA

Re: Inexpensive impact with gobs of torque.

Not nearly as much torque in either of those compared to the 14.4V Ridgid Impact which has 1400 lbs of torque and sells for around the same money.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

dave the 14.4 ridgid does have 1400 but it is 1400 inch pound witch is something like 112 foot pounds. i used to know what is was but i can't remember any more.
      9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
        Not nearly as much torque in either of those compared to the 14.4V Ridgid Impact which has 1400 lbs of torque and sells for around the same money.
        That is 1400 inch pounds of torque. Divide by 12 and you get 117 foot pounds. This impact wrench has 300 to 350 foot pounds of torque depending on which source you believe. That is 3600 to 4200 foot pounds of torque. 100 ft lbs is plenty for typical screw driving situations. For yanking lug nuts and other auto and mechanical operations you'd like to have at least 200 ft lbs.

Cordless torque wrenches with this much torque are rare beasts and cost upwards of $400. This one is $130. The downsides are wimpy 1.2Ah NiCad batteries, Chinese construction and lack of a warranty (well, it might claim a warranty but lets see you try to actually use it.)

Having said that, I've read a few postings on forums where guys have beaten this pretty good and not had any issues.

The alternative deal in a torque wrench (not driver) is the Goodyear one sold at PepBoys for $80 bucks. It only does about 180 ft lbs, but that is just enough for lug nuts. My brother has been using one of those for a year and been pretty satisfied with it's performance. The Pepboy one only comes with one battery (though it is 1.9Ah) and worse, an overnight dumb trickle charger.

Comment

Seems like we all share some interest in a 1/2 impact with serious torque, so what's preventing Ridgid from making one? 24 volt lithium or max select? I'm sure it would be a big seller with all the guys who dabble in auto repair or any other work that requires serious power. If Dewalt, and several of the other leading cordless tool makers sell one, why not Ridgid? They could probably do a nice job and price it under $200.00, they'd fly off the shelves, unfortunately like so many of Ridgid's other cordless tools the shelves are bare. Give us the tools and high amp 18 volt lithium batteries to power them, I promise to buy.

Comment

Technically, TTI does offer the Ryobi line which offers a less expensive alternative to the Ridgid. I haven't tried the Ryobi version directly, but a couple of months ago, the Ryobi-made Craftsman 19.2v drill & impact driver kit w/two batteries and 1-hour charger went on sale for $73.39, which I promptly ordered online for in-store pickup. I haven't used it a ton, but have put a few dozen reps on it. The impact driver is no Makita, but I'm impressed so far and am still on the original charge....don't have anything else to compare it to except for my Ryobi 14.4v drill, which really isn't a fair comparison.

Comment

That is an 1/4" impact driver...not a wrench. Ridgid makes a few of those.

Comment

I'm not sure when I'd use a cordless impact wrench. I mean... if something is only tight enough that a 120 ft-lb impact wrench can loosen it, then I can't imagine having much issue loosening it by hand.

I've got the Ridged corded 1/2" impact wrench. I had to travel to the US to get it as it wasn't available in Canada, and it's been every bit worth the effort. I haven't found a strut bolt yet that this thing won't get loose.

It's a bit big and unwieldy but I'll be damned if the thing hasn't got boatloads of power! It's got 450 ft-lbs when other models around here barely went over 300.

I figure it's the best option short of buying a compressor.

Just my 2 cents.

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Weasel View Post
                  I'm not sure when I'd use a cordless impact wrench. I mean... if something is only tight enough that a 120 ft-lb impact wrench can loosen it, then I can't imagine having much issue loosening it by hand.
                  It's a bit big and unwieldy but I'll be damned if the thing hasn't got boatloads of power! It's got 450 ft-lbs when other models around here barely went over 300.
                  120 ft-lbs is plenty for a driver...not a wrench. You don't want much more for driving in screws or else you will be shearing a lot of them off.

450 ft-lbs is a heap of torque. I've used my 180 ft-lb model mostly for removing wheelnuts and for that it is satisfactory. My brother tried to use the same, 180 ft-lb model for some chassis work and it came up short. I'm suspect the 300-350 ft-lb model will suit most of my needs.

Comment

Fair enough. For things like rotor screws (why does Acura screw on their rotors??) and the like, I actually use a manual "hit it with a hammer" impact driver.

Comment

I've used my share of "hit it with a hammer...or, if I want to be gentler to the tool, a piece of firewood."

The big advantage of the cordless gun is that it can be used at places with no power. My brother runs autocross and brings it along. I bet that corded one draws close to 10-12 amps. That is about 1200-1500 watts and it takes a pretty expensive beast of an inverter to handle that kind of power. Probably need one of those units that plugs directly onto the battery.

Comment

The whole point to having a tool like a powerful 1/2" cordless impact is to make your life easier. Over thirty years ago when I worked as a mechanic for the Telephone Co. in NY we had no power tools at all! Contractors would do tire repairs on the road and put the lugs back on with well over 220ft lbs of torque, then we would have to do brake jobs and you would not believe what it would take to get them lugs off. Jack stand under the lug to support a four way wrench, piece of pipe on one end with one guy pulling up while another guy either pushed down or jumped down on the other end. Nightmares of the past, working like a jackass. I'm strong enough to get my wheels off the car with hand tools, but why should I when there are such great tools available? I agree, Ridgid could easily make a similar cordless 18 volt tool and sell plenty of them. No more dragging out the cord, let's move into the light guys don't forget how to use your hand tools but enjoy what technology is offering. Wish everyone who uses a Hilti to drill anchor holes in brick could spend just one day doing it with a star drill and hammer. The good old days before electricity.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                          Over thirty years ago when I worked as a mechanic for the Telephone Co. in NY we had no power tools at all!
                          Uh oh...you are giving away your age!!!! :-)

Gotta admit, there is nothing like the sweeeet sound of a cordless torque wrench brat-a-tattting off lug nuts in under a second to make me not appreciate the good old days of wrapping my knuckles when the lug wrench popped off with all my weight on it.

Comment

No problem, I'm in my mid fifties and it's not like electricity was not widely used back in those ancient times of the 1970's we just didn't trust that new source of power.

Comment

Working...
                            X