Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

How To Post Images

Want to know the how to upload images to your posts? Image Posting Tutorial
See more
See less

'ORBITAL' Recip Saw __ notably better performace?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'ORBITAL' Recip Saw __ notably better performace?

.... to offset size, weight, cost increases ??

I went through this with recent Bosch Jigsaw purchase but cannot relate it to potential recip saw performance. Does it improve several types of cutting or only faster for large size wood? Are the benefits worth the cost in most cases or is this a fairly 'specialized' feature?

Tom B

Re: 'ORBITAL' Recip Saw __ notably better performace?

o know my orbital milwakke cut though the frame of my old truck like butteras my old single action keep getting bound up and off the mark
    9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Thanks! I would have had no way to assume that type of result.

Tom B

Comment

Orbital action goes thru 2x4's like it's nobody's business!

Comment

If you've ever used chain saw or a reciprocating saw and noticed how it cut better if you rocked it you would get the concept of the orbital action. It puts more pressure on a smaller area therefore allowing the blade to get more bite. With a sabre saw, it makes a big difference because you can't readily rock it.

P.S. Did you read this review of reciprocating saws.

http://www.toolsofthetrade.net/indus...ticleID=501130
          Last edited by Disaster; 10-21-2007, 10:56 AM.

Comment

Helpful comments and I did read the reviews ... although they are a bit dated. I was going to go with the DeWalt 304PK (~$99.) and it is high on my list. The orbital comments sure make sense although the cost is up $70-$90. which is a lot. Milwaukee seems to be the 'safe' buy and I can wait a bit to choose which model. It will likely be corded.

Thanks,
            Tom B
            Last edited by doubtingtom; 10-21-2007, 08:30 PM. Reason: error

Comment

Originally posted by doubtingtom View Post
              It will likely be corded.
              Because a lot of my reciprocating work is outside (tree trimming), or in hard to reach places (in a crawl space), it is a tool that really benefits from cordless. What do you see yourself doing with a reciprocating saw?

Comment

if any are near you concider a pawn shop i got my milwakke with 30+ blades for $75
                9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Most important is also very low amount of occurence .... pruning desert landscape trees and shrubs, including cactus, Joshuas, PaloVerdes ..... all very thorny and almost impossible to reach into to remove dead (hard) branches, etc. I have a very good (Stihl) lopper, but it will not handle the harder branches (>1 inch). The Joshuas are a definite challenge every year as new growth comes up and old stalks die off.

My composite deck project has just a small amount of 'finish' trim work to cover understructure wood ..... mostly 2"x8" joists, but some 4"x12" beams incorporated from previous deck structure. Some of that structure is uneven and the ends must be cut off to match up surfaces for the trim boards. They vary from 4ft to 6ft above ground level so my circ saw is not comfortable for me to use.

I will probably 'butcher' the ends with a new recip saw anyway!

Tom B
                  Last edited by doubtingtom; 10-21-2007, 08:43 PM. Reason: error

Comment

I don't think I'd attempt to cut anything square with a reciprocating saw. It is more of a "rough" tool....especially if one had to stretcchhhhh to reach a cut.

If your main work will be pruning you might be better served by the Ryobi pruner mentioned earlier in this thread. It extends 4 feet or so, keeping your arms out of the nasty stuff.
                    Last edited by Disaster; 10-21-2007, 09:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Disaster View Post
                      I don't think I'd attempt to cut anything square with a reciprocating saw. It is more of a "rough" tool....especially if one had to stretcchhhhh to reach a cut.
                      Hmmmmmmmm..... I thought I read somewhere that the 'orbital' models were intended for expressly that purpose ... ie, larger wood cutting and faster speeds. I tried cutting ~3/4" off one irregular end (4"x12") with a new Japanese pull saw and almost cut a finger off trying to hold the saw straight. I was hoping the recip saw would slice down through this beam (and others) easily. Now for a 'rethink' ?????

Tom B

Comment

Don't have an orbital recip saw, but do have orbital on a Bosch Jigsaw. Used it to cut openings through sheathing +ext hardboard siding (total 1" thick) to install the dog doors for a kennel I helped my nephew build. The orbital action worked great and was easy to control to get smooth cuts along the studs. I cut faster with the jig saw than I could have with my regular recip. Probably be awesome on a recip.

Go
                        Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Originally posted by doubtingtom View Post
                          Hmmmmmmmm..... I thought I read somewhere that the 'orbital' models were intended for expressly that purpose ... ie, larger wood cutting and faster speeds.
                          It would slice right through it. But could you keep it square? It is tough to keep 6" of unsupported, bouncing blade square...especially with the tiny reciprocating saw guard platform.

On the other hand, a circular saw has a large platform and a stiff blade that isn't vibrating. All you have to do with it is follow a straight line.

Comment

Working...
                          X