X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WD1450 ShopVac Motor Parts?

I recently was doing a job for a company that processes and distributes Spices and noticed they were throwing out a Ridgid WD1450 ShopVac.

I rescued the unit from the trash bin and took it back to my shop and tried firing it up but all I could get from it was very intermittent signs of the motor attempting to spin up. After i disassembled it and cleaned it I found one brush set in the motor was broken and the other was very worn, most likely to the severe use the Spice company subjected the Vac to.

Looked through the parts diagram on the Ridgid site but no motor brushes are shown - anyone have a clue as to if these parts are available or if an electric motor repair shop might be able to fix it?

The electric motor seems to spin freely but as I said above has been subjected to severe duty so I'm not sure of its health status without replacement brushes to test it.

Thanks - Dave
    Last edited by NorCalDave; 10-21-2007, 12:00 PM.

Re: WD1450 ShopVac Motor Parts?

Unless you can find a small motor repair shop that has brushes that will fit you might have to replace the entire motor. Ridgid treats the Emerson motors in most of it's equipment as replacement items. Check to see what Ridgid charges for a new motor. You might find it to be not too unreasonable.

Comment

Unfortunately, all too many manufacturers are grouping the universal motor as a single entity, with no serviceable parts. Like so many other components in today's tools, motors are pretty much a "throwaway". Certainly not very "green", but from a purely manufacturing and service point of view, it is cost effective.

You may also wish to take into consideration that at the introduction to the Christmas season ("black Friday"), Home Depot has had this particular model on sale for around $25-$30.... you got to be there bright and early though as they usually get scoffed up within the first hour.

CWS

Comment

Originally posted by CWSmith View Post

You may also wish to take into consideration that at the introduction to the Christmas season ("black Friday"), Home Depot has had this particular model on sale for around $25-$30.... you got to be there bright and early though as they usually get scoffed up within the first hour.
        I've only seen the 5 horsepower, 12 gallon model heavily discounted. It is a great vacuum for the price.

Comment

Take the worn brushes to an ACE Hardware store. They often carry replacement brushes and you may find a set the same size.

Cactus Man

Comment

Working...
          X