X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which would you buy?

I just started working in construction doing remodels. I was looking at a few different cordless combos online and found some pretty good deals. I've got it narrowed down to five options, curious what any of you might choose?

All of these are factory Refurbished, hence the low price.

Milwaukee 0923-85 18V 5 Tool Kit for $399 (Hammer Drill, Reciprocating Saw, Flashlight, Radio, Circular Saw)

DeWalt DC4CPKAR Heavy-Duty 18V Kit for $292 (Hammer Drill, Reciprocating Saw, Flashlight, Circular Saw)

Bosch 18V Cordless BLUECORE 4-Tool Combo Kit CPK40-18-RT $320 (Hammer Drill, Reciprocating Saw, Flashlight, Circular Saw)

Ridgid 24 Volt (Li-Ion) 4 Piece Kit (R932) $299(Reciprocating Saw, Hammer Drill, Circular Saw, Work Light)

Makita LXT401R Reconditioned 18V LXT Li-Ion 4-Pc. $367 (Reciprocating Saw, Hammer Drill, Circular Saw, Flashlight)

Re: Which would you buy?

Hi! Welcome to the forum! I think you have started with a bang, this will be a interesting thread.

I love my dewalt cordless tools, and I know that their stuff, bought now, will be compatible with the nano battery they are about to release.

What kind of remodeling will you be doing? Do you have any other tools yet, corded etc? Are you starting as an apprentice or running small jobs on your own? These are important considerations. We need details...
    A good carpenter makes few mistakes, a great carpenter can fix his own.

Comment

that is very tough question really but i like the makita li ion stuff and for the money it is hard to beat but the milwaukee is also i dam good deal and a very nice set to start off with, i am by no meansa fan of de worthless though i know poeple swear by them you could not give them to me, the bosch set i have heard in over wieght and under powered but that is what i heard i have never used them and there seems to be alot of confusstion over the ridgid li ion stuff,
      but another brand that i do like that you did not have mentioned is hitachi i would give them a good look before you buy anything just yet
      9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

The company I'm working for specializes in additions and remodels. So they do everything except plumbing and electric. I have 9 years experience as a painter, but just recently made the switch. I have some lower end tools (black & decker, ryobi) I bought several years ago for around the house, but knew I'd need something that can handle a more demanding work load.

Comment

Welcome to the trade!
          I have been in this line of work for a while...and I have to say, go with the RIDGID 24V set. I own it...and hands down it's the best bang for your buck. I am in no way affiliated with Ridgid and I am not just telling you that because this is their forum. Seriously, go back and do a search of my posts which contain reviews and reccomendations about the 24V Ridgid kit. I have owned several if not all of the others, so I speak from experience. The Ridgid will not disapoint you. I cannot say that I would buy the refurbs though. I always try to buy new...especially since you get the Ridgid lifetime service agreement. The drill is an absolute powerhouse. I can bore several 3/4" holes with a spade bit to run new electrical, use the hammerdrill function to drill dozens of holes in concrete to set wall plates and toilette flanges, and then drive hundreads of drywall screws and 3" wood screws all day long...all on the same battery...OUTSTANDING! Need to bore 4" holes with a hole saw? NO PROBLEM FOR THIS DRILL. It is heavy though...but you don't seem to mind after using it day after day. The reciprocating saw is a MONSTER! This thing has no fear! I have even used it to cut limbs with! But it's the circular saw that I was really impressed with. It actually performs like a corded saw! Now, I will say that I ALWAYS keep a SHARP blade on it and have a second handy because thats th real secret to any saw. But it is light weight and convenient and keeps me from having to trip over cords!
          Sorry...I didn't mean to ramble...I just get excited about these tools. If you have any specific questions you want to ask...please feel free to ask me. I will be absolutely honest with you!
          GOOD LUCK on your decision!
          Nick

Comment

two things real quick as H.I.S. said buy your tools NEW not refrubs, and most if not all brands are talked about on here take alittle time and reseach past posts on here to also guide you.
            9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

I have the Bosch 18V set and it came with the Bosch CD/radio. I like them a lot. I also have several Dewalt and Ridgid cordless tools. If I were to buy new cordless tools I would go with Li-Ion for sure. I have a few and I like the fact that they stay charged longer.
              Whatever cordless tool set you decide to get, do yourself a favor and get a corded reciprocating saw and a corded circular saw.

Comment

Would these cordless tools be in addition to some corded that you already have? I agree with Newman that you want at least the corded variety of a demo saw and circular saw. Either activity will chew through batteries in minutes. Both those cordless tools are nice to have for those quick jobs, where you don't want to go back out to the truck and haul out an extension cord, but if you are setting up to do some serious cutting you will want to pull out some power.

I agree with his suggestion on Lithium Ion. It is the future. Your Lithium-Ion batteries will long outlast NiCads and pay for themselves with saved trips to the charger.

Refurbs are tempting, but you really want the full warranty with tools you count on to make a living.

How important is service to you? Do some research, some companies are better at getting your tools serviced and exchanged than others.

DeWalt has a very good, well earned reputation in the trades. Their 18v line might be the most extensive in the industry. However they are just entering the 18v Lithium Ion era and their 36v tools are pretty big and expensive. I personally wouldn't buy a DeWalt set till it becomes available with their new Nano Lithium Ion cells.

Milwaukee's V18 is a great setup all around. There is a much smaller variety of tools to choose from, but they will probably add more to the popular lineup. There v18 Lithium Ion set is on sale at Amazon, with a free impact, for $435. Their V28 set gets pretty good reviews too, but there have been reports of the drill motor failing under heavy loads.

Ridgid's 24v set is solid but service has been a huge issue with them. Getting parts and accessories can be difficult and expensive because Home Depot is the exclusive distributor, and they are not great at stocking them. Ridgid's 24v set is also some of the heaviest tools in their class, but also some of the most powerful. They can be an especially good value when on sale. There is a free impact when you buy a set now, but, unfortunately it is an impact that uses older NiCad cells.

Bosch makes some nice tools and they have a good service reputation. However, their 36v Lithium line is big and heavy and expensive....not the best value out there.

The Makita drill and Impact are pretty competitive but their reciprocating saw and circular saw are woefully inadequate compared to the competition.

Finally, some other tips. Are you going to be working on jobsites with lots of strangers. You are going to want to keep an eye on your tools. Some people scribe their name on their tools. Some go as far as spray painting them. Same with your vehicle. Don't leave your tools in your vehicle where it can be broken into and them stolen. Tools are easy to pawn and therefore hot targets to steal.

Good luck,
                Danny

Comment

They are all pretty good except that dewalt set. That is the combo kit with the chep low end compact tools. You should look at the DC4PAKA which is the kit with the high end tools.

Comment

Originally posted by Velosapien View Post
                    They are all pretty good except that dewalt set. That is the combo kit with the chep low end compact tools. You should look at the DC4PAKA which is the kit with the high end tools.
                    Good point. You have to be careful with DeWalt. DeWalt has lately been selling cheaper tools in value packages that are are significantly lower in quality than their standard tools. These tools are more akin to Ryobi and Black and Decker homeowner tools, than tradesman's tools. One telltale sign that it is a cheaper tool is the lack of ports for brush replacement...which the higher end DeWalts have. That is because these cheaper tools use less expensive "disposable" motors.

Comment

The theft prevention thing.That pretty new box that contains a minimum of $500.00 worth of tools is too hard to pass up for even the most shyest of theives.I've had two full Dewalt 18v combo kits W/3 bat. stolen.Both were in the carrying case.Get a duffle bag,a good ole stinky military issue duffle bag.

Plus over time it will become your entire cordless bag as you add other brands,chargers and accessories.I got a mix of full kit D/W and a few makita14.4ni-mh with chrgr.Just grab the one bag and go.

Oh yeah,The corded tools are a necessity.

Comment

Okay, I'm back to give more cents worth. I agree with the other guys regarding the corded recip and circ saws. When I started buying my own tools the DeWalt 18 volt recip saw just came out and I bought it with the newly released 18v hammer drill. Honestly they were both pretty bad being first generation tools, but I did learn that on most jobsites we were gonna be there for at least 6 months (residential remodel) and that the cordless recip saw was not necessary since we had cords a plenty.

I also learned that there were some tools I didn't need to jump on right away as a new guy. If you are working for a contractor that supplies most of the big tools, and have a foreman who wears a belt you may want to pace yourself. Get yourself a good drill, I would never go back to being without an impact driver, a good corded circular saw for framing and quality hand tools and you should be okay. Those little things add up too. If you will be doing any kind of framing for any length of time don't skimp on the hammer. Get a good one that feels good to you. Also, get a good tool belt. these things will be more useful and important to own in the beginning than a rechargable light and probably even the cordless saws.

I am not one to talk about restraint when purchasing tools, but having started in a few specialty trades as well as carpentry (window installation, cabinet refacing) I can say that I could have saved some money, or spent the money better if I didn't jump in with both feet getting all tooled up before I had to.

Another good thing about taking your time instead of getting everything at once is you can get a feel for which tools really suit you, which brands you like, and what things you will use the most on the job.

All that said I think the Makita LI is the best deal out for the drill/impact set right now as far as price and reputation go. I personally prefer the way DeWalt feels in my hand, but I haven't used the newest Makita stuff. I used to dislike the angle of the handle and the way it would tip so easily when set on a slope, but that is a bias from years ago. Chances are you will be happy with any of the choices you make, tools today are pretty incredible.

Eli
                        A good carpenter makes few mistakes, a great carpenter can fix his own.

Comment

get some heavy duty dewalt tools with lithium ion batteries

Comment

Ridgid 24 Volt (Li-Ion) 4 Piece Kit (R932) $299(Reciprocating Saw, Hammer Drill, Circular Saw, Work Light)

They were selling this kit new last year for $317.00. The 3 piece kit is more than that.(maybe less for Christmas season)

Is it factory sealed and packaged with a LSA?

If so, then it should be fine.
                            Last edited by onlycordless; 12-04-2007, 08:11 PM.
                            http://www.cgiconnection.com/download

Comment

Thanks for all the advice. I've decided to go with something new over refurbs and for sure a Li-ion set. I really wanted to get a Ridgid set, but I'm not paying $379 for a flashlight and 2 tools, even with the LSA. I'll hold out till Christmas to see if they come out with a new 24v kit before that, but not holding my breath.

I think I might take advantage of the deal Milwaukee has going with their free tool offer. I like the V18 kit with the circ saw, sawsall, hammer drill, and light. Plus I can get a free Impact Driver. Home Depot has it for $399, may be able to get an extra 10% and bring it down to $360, not a bad deal.

Comment

Working...
                              X