Lithium Thoughts?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lithium Thoughts?

I was at Home Depot today and Hilti had an outdoor tent display taking place. I spoke to a couple of the salesmen about tool and battery specs. When I asked about warranty on the lithiums they said two years. My question or thought is, do you guys who know more about the shelf life of lithiums currently used think manufacturers will have to move the tool kits which use these batteries after a certain time period or risk serious problems? I'm thinking deep discharge or something else from simply sitting on a shelf in some store for two or three years? Thanks.

Re: Lithium Thoughts?

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
    I was at Home Depot today and Hilti had an outdoor tent display taking place. I spoke to a couple of the salesmen about tool and battery specs. When I asked about warranty on the lithiums they said two years. My question or thought is, do you guys who know more about the shelf life of lithiums currently used think manufacturers will have to move the tool kits which use these batteries after a certain time period or risk serious problems? I'm thinking deep discharge or something else from simply sitting on a shelf in some store for two or three years? Thanks.
    According to the articles I have read the buildup on the "plates" doesn't begin until after the batteries have been charged, therefor shelf time before the sale shouldn't be an issue.

Comment

Thank you for the response, there is a lot to learn about lithiums.

Comment

Like Rash said, the aging is reduced at a lower charge....but not eliminated. Temperature and charge are the two things that effect aging.

I would be more concerned with overdischarging...especially with a battery like the one that comes with the Ridgid set, that is hooked up to an electric monitoring circuit all the time. Wonder if the circuit is smart enough...or even capable of turning it's self off to draw no current.

Because it is disastrous for Lithiums to go below a certain charge level, and because they age faster at a higher charge level, they are usually shipped with a minimum charge level...say 20 to 50%.

If they go way over the intended shelf storage they will probably die first from overdischarge.

I misplaced a lithium battery (with no monitoring circuit) in my basement for 2 or 3 years. I'm pretty sure it was fully charged or near it. When I stumbled into it, it still had 75% of it's original charge. It took some charge...ending up somewhere around 80% of it's original rating. My basement rarely gets over 70 degrees...that helped.

Comment

One thought: When you travel with battery-powered tools, check out http://safetravel.dot.gov.

DOT's thought about the implications of battery/device-related events in air travel, and wants the public to know a few simple tips.

Thanks,

t_g

Comment

Working...
          X