X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R2400 laminate trimmer

I just got my R2400 laminate trimmer (new on ebay for $65, case and manual included but no cardboard or upc) delivered. I couldn't help but put a bid in on it. I hope it isn't refurbished, the add only said brand new and didn't specify there would be no box. It does not look to have been used at all though that doesn't mean much.

Anyway, aside from no LSA, I think it's a good deal. I already have the porter cable installer set with the offset and tilt base so this will allow me to keep a 7 degree bevel bit in the ridgid and keep the offset base with a flush cut bit on the PC.

I am currently a cabinet refacer so I use these tools to actually trim laminate and wood veneers. For the Formica it is indispensable.

First impression of the ridgid is tht I like the size and balance. The adjustablity of the depth on the base seems convenient. We'll see how the bit changing is, though as I stated earlier, I want to keep this one dedicated for one type of bit. I also like the lighted long cord, a home-run I've found on all ridgid corded tools that makes me happy every time I plug one in.

I'm not sure that the variable speed is going to be all that useful...I'll see if it makes a difference.

I'll fire it up next week and give my second thoughts.
    Last edited by woodenstickers; 10-25-2007, 11:13 PM.
    A good carpenter makes few mistakes, a great carpenter can fix his own.

Re: R2400 laminate trimmer

I've heard this before and i'd like some more feedback on it. With the base adjustable with the thumbscrew and the plastic gears, if you tighten it down properly does the height of the base move at all? Like I said before I read this a long time ago on the forum and played around with it at work but haven't found that to happen, although i'm not actually using it. (mostly just banging it around the racking to see if the base slips.)

Comment

I bought the R2400 a couple of months ago and I really don't see how it can slip. Even partially tightened the base is tight. I'm not crazy about the thumb wheel adjustment though, seems a better method could have been used, but for a laminate trimmer it's okay.

Contrary to the manual and postings which say the motor has to be removed from the base in order to change bits, I've found that the wrenches fit just fine in the base opening. Not that you have a lot of room in there, but it's certainly enough to work the collet.

The only thing I wish Ridgid would have done is supply some addition accessories, even as options. Furthermore, I really don't like that there is no safety shield for the base. It just seems all to easy to have a finger slip into the opening. Personally I think this is a safety issue, but I have yet to read of any accidents because of it. Just watch how you hold the thing.

CWS

Comment

Just tried out my Ridgid laminate trimmer today. Very nice. Soft start, long cord, easily adjustable. The only downside I can see is that the seems a little frail adjusting thumb wheel, but unless it breaks who cares? The reviews I read about the base slipping during use was either a problem that got fixed in production, a few vocal lemon receivers or operator error. Mine seems strong.

I got mine new for around $60 on ebay, but I would pay the $100 for this tool and feel good about it. I have not had the pleasure of using the bosch, but I kinda like the ridgid more than my porter cable already--I just wish it had more base options like the bosch, PC, DeWalt and others.

Comment

I used mine daily for about a year. No problems so far.

Comment

It's not a bad trimmer. Not as good as the bosch colt. I would probably buy a fixed speed colt before the ridgid, but it's still arguably a bit better than the porter cable, dewalt, and makita.

Comment

I have several laminate trimmers, each a different brand. I have them set-up for different tasks.
              The variable speed Bosch is great. I really like the base adjustment ease and the "hand fit" feel, but it doesn't come with much as far as accessories. The case has places for an off-set base and other things I can't recall right now, but they don't come with the trimmer. I have not seen these parts available in a retail store, but I assume that they can be purchased somewhere? or even offered as a bigger kit?
              I have an older DeWalt 670 with the entire installer's kit. I usually keep it set-up with the follower bearing but it has the off-set base and the tilt base too. It is a bit taller and more top heavy but I have never had a problem with that. It seems a bit harsh after using the other soft-start trimmers though. It also gets a little warm during prolonged use. The availability of the other bases adds value, even if you don't want them at the time of original purchase, you can buy them later if you find the need.
              Rigid's trimmer is nice too. It does come with edge followers, both straight/flat and a roller wheel type. The mounting is not as clean as DeWalt's though. The rod-style mount is better for the straight edge guide if you are trying to cut further from the edge, but it is a little cumbersome in use. The rods stick out 6" or so, making it awkward if you are not cutting very far from the edge. I would also like to see both of the edge guides come with their own locking screws. As it comes, you have to switch the screws (wingnuts) from one to to the other. Not a big deal, because you don't have to do it constantly or anything, but still? Filing off the stop that keeps the base from sliding off is helpful too. Taking the whole gear thing apart should not be necessary...again not a huge deal, just a convenience. Other bases would be nice too.
              I've got an old Craftsman, which is a Ryobi copy. It gets the abusive stuff. It generally has a straight single flute bullet bit for rough cuts on raw edges.

I use them all, not necessarily on a daily basis though. I'm in a commercial shop, so you never know what the job will be. Rarely is it just one. If need one, at least one of the others is out too.
              I have seen the Rigid remanufactured units for sale cheap. If I saw them again, I would probably buy another.

Comment

Yes, they do offer a "kit" with all the bases etc... I forgotten the price for such.. But should find it with Google.

Originally posted by LONGHAIR View Post
                The variable speed Bosch is great. I really like the base adjustment ease and the "hand fit" feel, but it doesn't come with much as far as accessories. The case has places for an off-set base and other things I can't recall right now, but they don't come with the trimmer. I have not seen these parts available in a retail store, but I assume that they can be purchased somewhere? or even offered as a bigger kit? .

Comment

You are right, I have seen them on the internet, but not in a retail store.

Comment

As a side note, the Thumb wheel "slides" to one side of the thumb screw to allow you to remove the base for bit changes, although, I generally just leave the base on. My point is that you don;t need to diassemble the lock-screw assembly to get the unit apart. I found this feature quite my mistake, I read the manual on accident!

As far as bases, I have NEVER been able to find them, so I bought some Lexan from HD and made my own. Offset, 4" and 6". Even cut the stepped-through hole so I can use brass sleeves and use it as a mini-router for doing key-holes and intricate carving using templates, and due to the trimmer's light weight.

Comment

Originally posted by YankeeConCo View Post
                      As far as bases, I have NEVER been able to find them, so I bought some Lexan from HD and made my own. Offset, 4" and 6". Even cut the stepped-through hole so I can use brass sleeves and use it as a mini-router for doing key-holes and intricate carving using templates, and due to the trimmer's light weight.
                      You made your own offset bases? That is awesome! How'd you do it?

Comment

Working...
                      X