Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Lithium Ion battery prices?

Originally posted by Ross Creek View Post
    I bought a new Makita 18V Lithium Ion driver in June. Not impressed. Doesn't last half as long between charges as my old Ni cad 18V's, and one of the batteries is already toast.
    Love the size and the weight however.
    Did I just get a lemon or are all Lithium's "lacking" ?
    Yours is not the first posting I've seen that mentioned shorter battery life (compared to NiCads) and failed battery packs. The shorter life makes sense because it is a smaller battery. Someone posted in this forum about a friend having premature battery failures with his Makita. Found other reviews that mentioned that too. That is troubling.

By the way, there are many different Lithium Ion battery technologies. Makita uses one. Ridgid, Milwaukee and Ryobi use another. DeWalt uses still another.
    Last edited by Disaster; 11-01-2007, 10:48 AM.

Comment

I read a figure that said 1% of the Lithium batteries Makita sold have had problems. I'd say that is a low number of failures overall. Every product will have a few bad apples use the warranty to your advantage.

Comment

Originally posted by Ross Creek View Post
        I bought a new Makita 18V Lithium Ion driver in June. Not impressed. Doesn't last half as long between charges as my old Ni cad 18V's, and one of the batteries is already toast.
        Love the size and the weight however.
        Did I just get a lemon or are all Lithium's "lacking" ?
        If you bought the compact black and white drill this is sort of to be expected. The batteries are 1.5 ah which is quite a step down from the average ~2.5 ah of modern NiCd and NiMH batteries. That is the price to pay for a drill that weighs 3.5lbs. I still think it's a great drill and makes things a lot easier than using the 36v beast for shooting small holes into wood. The way I see it is it's meant to be used as a complementary drill, not the only drill unless you only do very light work.

The battery failure sucks though. Batteries are unfortunately bound to fail on some people but even then I think Makita has a pretty good track record. They've also sold a heck of a lot of lithium ion tools so reports of failure are bound to be higher. I have to wonder if the fact that Makita is using Sony cells will hurt them in the long run. Sony has had a rough time with lithium manufacturing problems lately. Battery failure for lithium ion usually tends to be higher given the technology is more finicky than older kinds. It's recall rate is astonishingly high.

Comment

I have been using the 3.0 ah Makita impact driver on a daily basis for 2 years. I have never had a problem with mine.

Comment

Originally posted by Velosapien View Post
            If you bought the compact black and white drill this is sort of to be expected. The batteries are 1.5 ah which is quite a step down from the average ~2.5 ah of modern NiCd and NiMH batteries. That is the price to pay for a drill that weighs 3.5lbs. I still think it's a great drill and makes things a lot easier than using the 36v beast for shooting small holes into wood. The way I see it is it's meant to be used as a complementary drill, not the only drill unless you only do very light work.

The battery failure sucks though. Batteries are unfortunately bound to fail on some people but even then I think Makita has a pretty good track record. They've also sold a heck of a lot of lithium ion tools so reports of failure are bound to be higher. I have to wonder if the fact that Makita is using Sony cells will hurt them in the long run. Sony has had a rough time with lithium manufacturing problems lately. Battery failure for lithium ion usually tends to be higher given the technology is more finicky than older kinds. It's recall rate is astonishingly high.
            Yes, it's my light duty drill I use in place of my ageing Makita 14.4 (lot of miles on that baby!). I thought the 18V Li/Ion would go longer per battery than the old 14.4v ni/cad even with the smaller 1.5 Ah batteries. I was wrong. I went out & bought two new 3.0 a/h batteries so I should be good to go.

For the big brute jobs I still bring out my trusty Dewalt 18V.

Comment

Mine is the 1.5AH, and the battery life is so-so. But a 2.8 lb impact driver is jus too nice. Charges in 15 min. which takes some of the battery life pain away.

At least they made it so you can use the 3AH batteries on the white tools. That would have been seriously dumb if they didn't.

Comment

What is the phone number for the Ridgid national supplier?

Comment

Working...
                X