X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wood Drill (set) Choices and Subtle User Issues

(I tried a couple Searches with little success) so .................
    Last edited by doubtingtom; 10-26-2007, 11:59 PM. Reason: delete

Re: Wood Drill (set)

Depending on the circumstances and desired results I'd recommend a set of both brad point bits and forstner bits. For high quality repetitive results you can't go wrong with Lee Valley bits. For inexpensive starter sets Harbor Freight is a good choice.

EDIT: This also looks like a pretty good deal on brad point bits.
    Last edited by BadgerDave; 10-27-2007, 10:01 AM.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
      Depending on the circumstances and desired results I'd recommend a set of both brad point bits and forstner bits. For high quality repetitive results you can't go wrong with Lee Valley bits. For inexpensive starter sets Harbor Freight is a good choice.

EDIT: This also looks like a pretty good deal on brad point bits.
      Many thanks! ... I felt a bit sheepish after posting and tried to delete it. I really do need to acquire a 'new' set of decent wood drills for the new 18v L-I Ridgid Drill Driver but I have no clue when standing at HD or Lowes looking at the many choices. I did pick up the Milwaukee 48pc driver set at HD recently but still need new wood drills up to around 1/2". I'll now take a hard look at what Lee Valley offers .... including some larger auger and spade bits.

Regards,
      Tom B
      Last edited by doubtingtom; 10-27-2007, 11:12 AM. Reason: addition

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
        For inexpensive starter sets Harbor Freight is a good choice.
        I was very dissapointed with the Harbor Freight drillset I bought. The drills were not very hard...even though they were taughted as being "titanium" treated.

They were cheap though and I was able to fashion one into a pin for a trigger assembly.

Comment

[quote=Disaster;101137]I was very dissapointed with the Harbor Freight drillset I bought. The drills were not very hard...even though they were taughted as being "titanium" treated.
          /quote]
          This is what makes this place so great. Differences of opinions are just that, differences of opinions. I've been using the HF brad point bits for quite awhile now without any major difficulties. Although, the set I have wasn't those fancy smancy coating means nothing ones but this basic set of bits. They aren't by any means the quality of some of the much more expensive sets but if used with a backer board they will produce a nice clean hole without any tear out.
          Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Re: Wood Drill (set) Choices and Subtle User Issues

The one I bought was a set like this...but bigger....112 or 118 pieces, if I recall. OK for a couple drills into wood...but rounded right off in metal.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=34627

Comment

After these many years I still have several assorted drill sets around, most with a 'replacement' or two in the set. None of them are special in any way and I waste lots of time on small jobs finding one drill which will really do work properly.
              I am finally ready for some new sets of 'dedicated' drills for the important jobs and I'll toss all the others in my random, 'quicky .. drill into easy stuff' container.
              One of these new sets is likely to be a Ridgid Cobalt set for harder metal needs, a decent brad point set (maybe as described here), a Ridgid auger bit or two, and a Forstner size or two. These new ones are going in separate, marked containers and 'no cheating'!
              This is almost a lifechanging experience ....

Tom B

Comment

Disaster
                Might your set be this one? http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=1611

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko
                  Disaster
                  Might your set be this one? http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=1611
                  Yeah, that looks like it.

I'd modify their description to say,

"These titanium coated high speed steel bits run cooler and last longer than pine wood drill bits. Compared to standard drill bits they round off 75% faster, burn more freely and they don't expand with heat, so you get properly sized burn mark. All bits must be resharpened and heat treated. Heavy duty metal drill index included, which, if you like, can actually be used to hold real drill bits when you pitch these in the trash."

Comment

Originally posted by doubtingtom View Post
                    After these many years I still have several assorted drill sets around, most with a 'replacement' or two in the set. None of them are special in any way and I waste lots of time on small jobs finding one drill which will really do work properly.
                    I am finally ready for some new sets of 'dedicated' drills for the important jobs and I'll toss all the others in my random, 'quicky .. drill into easy stuff' container.
                    One of these new sets is likely to be a Ridgid Cobalt set for harder metal needs, a decent brad point set (maybe as described here), a Ridgid auger bit or two, and a Forstner size or two. These new ones are going in separate, marked containers and 'no cheating'!
                    This is almost a lifechanging experience ....

Tom B
                    Sounds like a good plan but I'd reserve the box of bits for lending out and replenishing the real set. I've lost too many drill bits to people when I've lent them a set. Just last month my neighbor returned a small drill set to me with the most common 1/8th" drill missing. I don't know how people think this is OK. If I borrowed a drill set and lost or broke a bit I'd replace it. Fortunately, this was a cheap B&D set I got on clearance for $2 or $3 bucks.

Comment

Originally posted by Disaster View Post
                      Yeah, that looks like it.
                      I'd modify their description to say,

"These titanium coated high speed steel bits run cooler and last longer than pine wood drill bits. .......................... Heavy duty metal drill index included, which, if you like, can actually be used to hold real drill bits when you pitch these in the trash."
                      ------------------------------------------
                      Strangely ... but seriously ... I guess this is what my original post is really about. There's so much garbage marking on packaging, and in print/web ads, that it is not easy to make serious choices when purchasing various drill types and sets. The 'quality' ones seem to be identifiable .... but the cheapies and decent general purpose sets are hard (at least for me) to pick out. I prefer to purchase these at local HD or Lowes, but if they do not stock better choices, at competitive prices, then I welcome solid suggestions for internet sources. I am 'learning' from these latest posts.

Tom B

Comment

Originally posted by Disaster View Post
                        Heavy duty metal drill index included, which, if you like, can actually be used to hold real drill bits when you pitch these in the trash."
                        Not a bad idea.... The junkers can be put in a box(s).

Comment

Locally I have several convenient sources for Irwin drills and sets which are now starting to stand out as 'decent' choices. Unless there are some serious criticisms here, this is my likely source.

Regards,
                          Tom B

Comment

Tom, Are you looking for twist drills for wood or do you want to drill into steel and other metals with them?

Comment

This is one of those lazy, clumsy deals where the material varies all over the map ... mostly wood or some type of plastic, seldom really hard wood, but occasionally some thin metal. It's a pain to pull out the good hard metal drills for this so these same drills get used. For serious wood applications I am fine with brad point drills, but they are not the 'go to' set.

I was originally hesitant to start this Thread and now even moreso as I realize how undefined my question was. I am really trying to home-in on the most versatile drill material for my 'go to' drills without erring on the 'too cheap' or 'overkill' materials. For example, are HSS drills adequate or is the next step up more cost effective in the longer run? I would save the cobalt category for hard metal applications unless experienced users know they will last much longer in spite of the higher cost ..... (and yes, I do understand that overheating them in wood can damage them ).

Tom B

Comment

Working...
                              X