Old School & New Tools

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old School & New Tools

Every once in a while these threads refer back to the use of older tools and days past. I think it would be fun to have people who have never used any of these older tools do so, just so they can better appreciate how far technology has come. A simple thing like a keyless chuck cannot be fully understood unless you have spent time using it's predecessor. Very soon the only cordless tool batteries will be lithium and another bit of old technology will be gone forever. No more memory problems to deal with or charging rituals to ensure readiness. I'm in my fifties and the advancements I've seen in the last ten years have been great, I hope I'm around to see what the next ten years have to offer.

Re: Old School & New Tools

It is interesting to watch the technology evolve, but many of us are a stubborn lot and tend to stick with old habits even when there's clearly advantages to the newer technology.

...think power steering and fuel injection....

Comment

OK - you can show the new guys how to drill holes in concrete with single-jacks and star drills...
      I will stay with the roto hammer thanks...LOL

Comment

I'm no hero sticking with hand tools when there are power tools to make my life easier, I just thought it would be a nice experience to try out the old way for once. Talking about cars, I remember changing points and condensors before electronic ignitions and rebuilding carbs before fuel injection. These advancement are costly but the performance and reliability are a vast improvement. Look at the recent explosion of LED applications. My flashlights will never require bulb changes again! "Technology Good" as Frankenstein would say.

Comment

Working...
        X