Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Composite Deck __ Router_Laminate Trimmer_Rotozip??

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Composite Deck __ Router_Laminate Trimmer_Rotozip??

Originally posted by Newman View Post
    You can pick up a thin Park open end wrench from any bicycle shop.
    My thought as well. They have a lot of sizes and make good tools.

Comment

Re: Where the talent is !!! .... in the trenches ..

I'm always impressed ... and a bit amused ... that major (and very competent) companies continuously make design and production errors .. like this one ... and very creative consumers come up with amazing solutions to rectify them.
      Great work gentlemen !! .. as usual.

If I go with the Bosch Colt, I will head for the bicycle shop on the way home !

Tom B

Comment

Yep, you'll need a bicycle cone wrench. Fortunately I already have a set of them in my bike tools. If you can't find one you can just grind down an open end wrench as discussed.
        Last edited by Velosapien; 10-29-2007, 10:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Velosapien View Post
          Yep, you'll need a bicycle cone wrench. Fortunately I already have a set of them in my bike tools. If you can't find one you can just grind down an open end wrench as discussed.
          If you decide to grind down a wrench, make sure it's a Craftsman and not a nice Snap-on!

Comment

I had to laugh at the Amazon reviewer who said he chucked his in the trash after his first try because the height adjuster slipped. RTFM!! There's a very simple step to make it all tight and secure, complete with little icons on the side of the router that make it very clear. I've used mine (haven't had it long) to rout recesses for hinges in vinyl door jambs, and it was a real pleasure to use -- easy visibility of the work, comfortable to hold and maneuver, and no nasty jolts at start up.

Comment

Just tried out my Ridgid laminate trimmer today. Very nice. Soft start, long cord, easily adjustable. The only downside I can see is that it seems a little frail in adjusting thumb wheel, but unless it breaks who cares? The reviews I read about the base slipping during use was either a problem that got fixed in production, a few vocal lemon receivers or operator error. Mine seems strong.

I got mine new for around $60 on ebay, but I would pay the $100 for this tool and feel good about it. I have not had the pleasure of using the bosch, but I kinda like the ridgid more than my porter cable already--I just wish it had more base options like the bosch, PC, DeWalt and others.
              A good carpenter makes few mistakes, a great carpenter can fix his own.

Comment

I asked Ridgid by e-mail if they had plans to add accessory items similar to Bosch Colt and they responded that there are no such plans. That leaves my choices as Bosch Colt, RotoZip RZ20-Kit, or fullsize Ryobi router. RotoZip is the highest cost @ $149. due to inclusion of several expensive accessories. Bosch Colt @ Lowes for $119., and Ryobi is good buy @ ~$90. Seems like my local store has one at lower cost.

Thanks for many helpful comments.

Tom B

Comment

http://bosch.cpotools.com/routers/pa...20evsk-rt.html

Comment

Personaly I would go with the roto-zip. With all the gizmos they have you can use them in so many ways. Works well with wood and plastic to metal and tile.

Comment

Rotozip is surely the versatile tool of the three .... since I have no clear plans for multiple Router jobs in future. RotoZip have been clever in configuring their kits to make it very hard to choose anything but the 'better' ones ... given the pricey accessories already included.

I still have lots of trim work to finish before this final edge rounding is required. The Christmas special deals may steer this decision since none of the tools are a bad alternative.

Tom B

Comment

In case you have missed my post #13 above ... for $150 you get a Colt router AND a Bosch Jigsaw. For the price (and if you can use a jigsaw) it is a sweet deal.

Originally posted by doubtingtom View Post
                        Rotozip is surely the versatile tool of the three .... since I have no clear plans for multiple Router jobs in future. RotoZip have been clever in configuring their kits to make it very hard to choose anything but the 'better' ones ... given the pricey accessories already included.

I still have lots of trim work to finish before this final edge rounding is required. The Christmas special deals may steer this decision since none of the tools are a bad alternative.

Tom B

Comment

Hey .. thanks for that link! I did look at it and have not ruled it out. Timeframe is not an issue, but I did just add a Bosch 1590EVSK a few months back. It might be 'convenient' to keep a general purpose wood blade in one and metal in the other

Regards,
                          Tom B

Comment

Re: Bosch Colt ...

Received the shipment today ... while the jigsaw comes in a retail box, but surpise to find that the router does not come with a case or even a bag..... not that they false advertize -- it was never mentioned ... but would be nice if they at least provide "something" for storage ....

Oh well ....

Originally posted by Wagon Man View Post
                            (Update: 10/29 1PM PST. Just got an e-mail from the company below. My order has shipped out today. Wooo hooooo!)

Tom, if you are not in a real rush, there is a combo deal goin on : for $149 you get a Bosch 1587AVSK jigsaw PLUS a Colt PR10 Router. They are NOT the highest model in the line up but the price is right, ~$50 savings if bought seperately.

I have ordered it ~3 weeks ago & it is still on "back order". As of Friday last week, estimated ship date is "next week". I did contact Bosch directly, they have confimed that the deal is legit and that they ARE really behind in the demand ....

Here's the link for detail: http://www.internationaltool.com/woo.../boswwck2.html

Happy shopping.

Comment

Working...
                            X