X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ryobi Lithium Review, Wow

I've been wanting to wet my feet with a lithium powered tool and since I have some Ryobi 18 volt tools laying around I decided to buy the $160.00 drill and flashlight set. The extra battey alone made sense although I did not expect much in the way of a drill for that price. I cannot give an indepth review of this tool because I've only had it a few hours so all I can really comment on is the overall feel, build and appearance. Rated at 330 inch pounds, the heavy hitters have nothing to worry about and while it looks awful plastic laden the feel is not bad at all. If it lasts as long as my eight or so year old Ryobi, I think the average homeowner would like this drill. I just put the TS-18 Toolstar LED upgrade in the flashlight and it's burning away, nice design on this little worklight. Lower profile than the previous one and a rubber on off switch on top makes it a bit more ergonomical. I immediately placed one of my "One Plus" nicads in the new dual usage charger and when it was finished I topped off one of the new lithiums. Both batteries showed 21+ on my digital FLuke meter. The lithium has a small button on it which glows either green, yellow or read when depressed giving you some indication of remaining power . The Ryobi nicads have always been a disappointment and I believe these lithiums are a home run for Ryobi and the consumer. I'm sure professionals demanding heavy duty and heavy service tools would laugh these off, but for the homeowner or professional doing light to medium jobs I think these are well worth the money. I have no doubts that if and when Ridgid offers a stronger 18 volt lithium, that myself and others would snap them up. Lithium makes sense.

Re: Ryobi Lithium Review, Wow

Agreed. It is a great light duty drill...about the same weight and size as the Ridgid compact drill though with a little less power and probably not built as tough. I decided to keep it and sell my older Ryobi 201 Torque4 drill.

With the pair of 2.4Ah batteries, that will work in all the other One+ tools it is a better value too.

I didn't know about the LED toolight replacements. After reading your post I ordered a few to go in my Ryobi and Ridgid toolights.

Comment

Disaster, DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT buy that LED upgrade for your Ridgid flashlight. The TS-18 fit fine in the Ryobi Tool Lights both the older model and the new one, but because of the focus feature on the Ridgid the unit will not work!

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
        Disaster, DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT buy that LED upgrade for your Ridgid flashlight. The TS-18 fit fine in the Ryobi Tool Lights both the older model and the new one, but because of the focus feature on the Ridgid the unit will not work!
        Cr_p....ordered three of them. Two for the Ryobi's...one for the Ridgid. Oh well. At $6 bucks a pop they weren't too expensive. The last one will be a spare.

Comment

Disaster, unfortunately the Toolstar I put in this afternoon crapped out tonight! First five of the LEDs in the cluster blanked out, then the entire light failed. Tomorrow I'm calling Battery Junction where I ordered them and telling them I want my money back or a credit. I think the design is poor. These work lights need a specially designed single LED engine made specifically to handle 18 volts. I'm disappointed to have assumed these products were worthwhile after using them for a few days only to have them fail. I apologize to anyone, yourself included who placed an order based on my posts. I like to try new things and improve the performance of my tools but when I'm wrong about something I don't mind admitting it. Sorry to all, and next time I'll hold off giving my thoughts on something new until I have used it longer.

Comment

well, have you done any drilling with it yet?

Comment

Frank

Did they come with a resister you connect in series with the battery to limit current? Were they really bright and then went poof?

Comment

Originally posted by funkymonkey1111 View Post
                well, have you done any drilling with it yet?
                I don't have any pending jobs or repairs, so I took a piece of scrap 2x4 and drilled a few 1/4" and 1/2" holes and screwed a handfull of 1 5/8" sheet rock screws. Drill worked okay, nothing out of the ordinary. I think unless it had some defect it would be fine around the house for most jobs. Unfortunately in the short time I've had it I haven't been able to put the battery and drill through any substancial effort.

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
                  Frank

Did they come with a resister you connect in series with the battery to limit current? Were they really bright and then went poof?
                  Unit comes completely assembled and the standard bulb base which fits into the flashlight socket separates from the cluster so that it can be mounted between the reflector. I can see one blue piece of electronics on the board with one silver, two black and one red line on it. That got burning hot to the touch. This would be the second defective unit, first one returned last Thursday. One remains working in my other Ryobi light. I received a e-mail response from Battery Junction and the head guy there asked the voltage of my Tool light. I wrote back 18 but that when charged all of these batteries are slightly over 20 volts. I told him this is normal, it's not like I had a hot batttery that fried this unit. I also wrote to Terralux, the actual manufacturer of this TS-18. I told them about my experience and that I believed a single LED engine designed to handle the voltage would be more appropriate. I also wrote that because of my Ridgid's focus feature, the TS-18 would not work at all. Even if you do not attempt to move the focus ring, the bulb socket is too recessed and does not allow the unit to sit properly. Again, I feel bad for anyone who ordered these based on my remarks. I think LED's are the future of lighting and I have several LED flashlights that work very well. Sometimes there are setbacks with new products, but one such as this does more harm than good when it comes to promoting this technology. I would rather have waited for a good quality LED upgrade than waste my time and that of the readers here, but I had to find out the hard way. Sorry.

Comment

I had a chance to use the new Ryobi Lithium drill today and must say that they are quite impressive...for the price.

The quality of these tools is nowhere near the more expensive brands, but for the average homeowner you can't go wrong with them. Ryobi, as was previously stated, hit a home-run by allowing these batteries to be interchangeable with existing 18V tools. Black & Decker, where are you?

Comment

Just got my new lithium batts. charged up today. I bought two from Ebay and then picked up the starter kit today. What a difference. I charged a two year old NiCd up and one of the new lithiums and tried them in the cordless grinder I got for Christmas. The grinder seems to run faster with the lithium battery. So does the Circ. saw. My impact driver seems to work the same. I know that both batts. put out the same voltage. Just goes to show you how inferior the Ryobi NiCd's are. Too bad though for my old blue Ryobi tools. I only use the vacuum and the lawn and garden tools anymore. The 2.4 ah lithiums will be a welcome improvement for the sprayers and vacs. With the old batts. I barely got 5 good minutes out of a fresh charge. I have seven Ryobi NiCds, two of which no longer hold a charge (about 4-5 yrs. old now). I think that three lithiums will give me more run time than all seven of the old ones ever did. I'd like at least one more to round out my set, then I can give the old NiCd's to LOML's maint. supervisor at her office.

Ern

Comment

I didn't notice much of a power difference with both fresh charged batteries, but then my NiCds are in pretty good shape. I keep 'em in the fridge. However, the Lithiums definitely run longer and stronger towards the end of a run than NiCds.

I'm like you, using my Ryobi tools less and less as I get higher quality tools. The garden tools are the exception because DeWalt, Ridgid etc, haven't moved into those areas yet. I think these batteries might just change that though. I can see myself reaching for Ryobi tools that aren't quite as good...but have charged lithium cells waiting for them, vs. waiting for the NiCds to charge.

Comment

Working...
                        X