Hypoid saw questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hypoid saw questions

Even if the Makita isn't as good, it shouldn't be as bad as he's describing. Cutting 5/4 boards, even the cheapest DIY models in the store can do that. My guess is there's something wrong with either the setup or this particular saw is a lemon.

The hypoid saws have no changeable oil in the gearbox. They are sealed.

Originally posted by Newman View Post
    Simply put, YES!

Get the Skil or Bosch and you'll see the difference.
    I've used that Makita and it sucks. I agree the blade makes a difference, but not enough to make the saw that worthless. I have the Bosch and even with a dull blade you can barely bog the it down in PT lumber. It's the same with my buddies 15 year old Skil - it cuts thru anything you throw at it.

Comment

Originally posted by Sceeter W Wheels View Post
      Even if the Makita isn't as good, it shouldn't be as bad as he's describing. Cutting 5/4 boards, even the cheapest DIY models in the store can do that. My guess is there's something wrong with either the setup or this particular saw is a lemon.

The hypoid saws have no changeable oil in the gearbox. They are sealed.
      True about the sealed gearbox. I even checked the Makita manual just to be sure. They have to be serviced now and then (grease changed) like a side winder.

I recommend the process of elimination. The first step is to try the Makita saw with no changes, but on a private circuit and without the use of an extension cord. How does it do cross cutting a 2 x 8?

If the cut is poor or the saw bogs, then try a new blade. Chances are the new blade will get used anyway so the purchase of one won't end up as a loss.

If the Makita just doesn't cut when a new blade is on it and it's plugged directly into a receptacle of a circuit with no other loads, then it's time to take it back stating the saw is defective.

Shhhhh The Bosch or Skil are much better and if the dealer will exhange your's for one of the, just go for it. You'll be glad later on. Even so the Makita should cut what you're cutting there.
      Last edited by Woussko; 11-01-2007, 07:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
        is there oil in the gear box?
        No oiled gearbox in the hypoid saws. It's sealed.

Comment

I don't believe having to never lubricate them either as they claim. I'm pretty sure you would still have to get it checked and re-lubed every once in a while.

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
          True about the sealed gearbox. I even checked the Makita manual just to be sure. They have to be serviced now and then (grease changed) like a side winder.

Comment

Actually the Makita Blue carbide blade that comes on the saw is not too bad - I've used those before. Are you using a long extension cord? Also you shouldn't crank down too hard on the saw blade arbor bolt - it should slip if the saw binds hard. I had a PC sidewinder that had more guts than that Makita!

Comment

my old hypoid saw has a fill plug and takes a oil similar to old manual transmission or differential oil guessing it is either a 85w to 140W. I guess the new ones don't,
              Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
              attributed to Samuel Johnson
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

BHD

It depends on the saw. A good many worm drive ones of today use oil and you have to check and change it like with the older ones. Some brands/models use all hardened steel gearing and thus they require that the tool be taken partly apart and the lube be changed. Their thinking is that this would be done at a service center when the motor brushes need replacement.

Please see page 13 of the owner's manual for the Bosch 1677MD and 1677MDT. It tells about checking, adding and changing oil which is part# WD7LUB (Bosch) or 80111 (Skil)
                http://66.77.255.87/Images/BOSCHPDF/...UAL/1677MD.pdf

Page 14 of the Milwaukee manual for models 6377 and 6378 tells about oil. Their saws take part# 49-32-0050 oil.
                Last edited by Woussko; 11-01-2007, 09:18 AM.

Comment

From the DeWalt DW378G manual:

Your saw has a sealed gear housing filled to the proper level with a high-performance gear lubricant.
                  Adding excessive amounts of lubricant, or adding improper lubricant can cause leakage or
                  premature gear failure.
                  Kind of vague, says it's sealed, but seems to indicate that you can add lubricant if you want which means it's probably changeable. I'm sure it is.

Comment

Re: Hypoid saw (lube) questions

slightly OT .... but are there 'convenient' places to get quality worm drive lube (like Skil 80111) in single tubes? I talk to contractors who have never changed the lube for years, but I prefer to change it early per the Skil manual. Is there a 'reliable' generic lube alternative in typical auto parts stores?
                    Internet sources cost as much for shipping as the tube of lube ...

Tom B

Comment

I'd just buy a tube of gear grease....just make sure to buy a quality brand.
                      Last edited by Disaster; 11-01-2007, 10:08 AM.

Comment

Thanks .... Skil just said 90 weight gear lube in an emergency but they prefer anti-foaming agent per their 80111. Just lucked out and found one tube at local Ace Hardware ... headed there now.

Tom B

Comment

Most pro-grade circular saws you see in the stores come with a average to good carbide tipped blades. Makita, DeWalt, Bosch as an example. The blades are acceptable, but not really the best. Same thing with portable table saws too. The stock blades are usually garbage.

Cutting performance, I would say, is 50% blade and 50% saw. It's amazing what a difference it makes. You can have a really powerful saw, but it will bog down or strain too hard if the blade is dull or produces a lot of unnecessary friction in the material. Or the blade will dull down too fast. A lot of times you also need to choose the right blade to the application. Most of the combination blades I find are better at crosscutting than ripping. If you are more ripping, then it's better to pick up a blade dedicated to that purpose as it will tend to be faster. Also, these days there are many blades designed for specific types of materials, such as wet PT wood. They have coatings that are designed to drag less on gummy materials. A lot of great new blades out there.

Actually the Makita Blue carbide blade that comes on the saw is not too bad - I've used those before. Are you using a long extension cord? Also you shouldn't crank down too hard on the saw blade arbor bolt - it should slip if the saw binds hard. I had a PC sidewinder that had more guts than that Makita!

Comment

I have no idea which Makita Hypoid your speaking about but the one I have has guts beyond any of the other Hypoids I have used. The PC and Skil can't touch my Makita hypoid.

Comment

Ok, I picked up a new blade yesterday at Home Depot. The red diablo (which was only 10 bucks, I thought it would be more). I went home and got some scraps and cut them with the original blade and then switched blades and did identical cuts. Of course, trying to replicate the times where the saw was really laboring was impossible. But the new blade did seem to make quite a bit of difference. With the new blade the saw seemed to work as I expected and actually seemed to drive itself through the material. The thin kerf is nice too and now that I think about it the original blade had a huge kerf. Like twice as thick. Which seems to me that the saw would have twice the resistance as with the thinner blade. As of today all is right with the world. This weekend I have a couple projects in mind that will really test the saw. Thanks for the advice and comments everybody!!
                              Last edited by mcsquared; 11-02-2007, 03:03 PM.

Comment

Please let us know how it works when you really test it out.

Comment

Working...
                                X