X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hypoid saw questions

I just bought a makita 7-1/4" hypoid saw to replace my old Black & Decker that disappeared from my front porch one day. My Black and Deck always just barely cut the mustard for most framing jobs. So I was excited about buying a new fangled hypoid saw like I see all the pros using on the job site. I had visions of the saw doing all the work, cutting through everything with ease and getting me cold beverages. So I have used the saw on 2 projects- 1. New deck-cutting 5/4 and 1x pressure treated lumber and 2. Quick and dirty cabinets for the garage-ripping sheets of 5/8" plywood. On both projects the saw seemed to bog down quite often. Last night I was cutting the plywood and I would get about 6 inches into the material and the saw would just stop and the lights would dim. Same thing happened quite a bit when I was working on my deck. Last night, though I happened to have a buddys Skil 6-1/4" wormdrive in my garage so I tried it out for comparison. And it cut like butter.

Does my saw suck? Is it the blade? What am I doing wrong?

Re: Hypoid saw questions

Try a new blade on it before giving up. Most saws come with junker grade blades on them.

Comment

weird i like makita saws to, humm. the stock blade is junk with most saws so i would try another blade and see what happens(get a real blade in the $15-25 range) also check the blade you have now for missing teeth hypiod and worm saws will yank the teeth right of cheap blades. also make sure your base is in line with the with the blade, and lastly these type of saws suck up alot of power so do not use 100 foot extentoin cord to go 15-20 feet from a power source, and use a heavy cord every chance you get as lighter cords lose power fast.

hope these things help and if not take it to a service center that will do more than plug it in and tell you that it is fine.
      9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Just in case, here is the manual for the base model Makita.
        http://www.makita.com/assets_product...uals/5277B.pdf

I'm sure someone will come in and tell you to take it back and get a Bosch or Skill, but your new Makita should cut fine. Unless it's defective it's a good saw.

OSC has good points. A bad blade comes to mind, but also you want to use a good heavy extension and keep it short. Try to have it on a private circuit as the motors really do pull lots of current-power when under load. If you have one, plug in a 3 in 1 adapter into any extension cords you've been using with the saw and plug in a test lamp. Then watch it dim when you pull the trigger on your saw. Also, try this at the receptacle. Any notable Voltage drop will cause a power tool to loose power.

Hint: Take a good look at the teeth on the blade that's in your friend's saw and then at the teeth on your blade. Because his cut well, try to get a blade close to his, but in the 7-1/4" size you need.

If you try changing anything, please post the results. Thanks
        Last edited by Woussko; 10-31-2007, 11:18 AM.

Comment

Get the red-coated 24T Freud Diablo thin kerf blade blade. Around here you can get them in Home Depot CHEAPER than the 24T DeWalt construction blades (average blades in my opinion), and they are a 5 times better quality blade.

You will not BELIEVE how well it cuts. Effortless!

Comment

A couple of notes on the Makita saw. To me it really sounds like the problems described by the guys here, or maybe even something wrong with the saw. The cuts you are describing should be pretty easy. It happens sometimes - you get a lemon unit. If all else fails, take it back to the store and exchange it for another. If that one doesn't work then perhaps consider another brand.

Comment

Thanks. I will try another blade. I suspected that the stock blade was the culprit. Glad I didn't pay 10 bucks more for the model that came with the extra blade!! If a new blade doesn't change anything I will return it or try to get it serviced. The difference between my saw and my buddys with a diablo blade (although a pretty heavily used one) with all other variables constant, was like night and day.

Comment

just please let us know something with in the next few days even if you just cut scraps with it
                9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Another vote for those red diablo blades. They are the only blades I use now, unless I am cutting into a spot that could have nails

Comment

1. I would first try a new blade and see how it works. Even if your saw is defective, keep the better blade. You'll use it later on.

2. Most circular saws come with very poor quality blade screw wrenches. Find something better and keep it near/with your saw.

3. Just in case you need to change saws you might look at and price the Bosch model 1677MD as that's a really nice one.
                    http://www.boschtools.com/tools/tool...=54930&I=55120

Another tried and proven one is the SKIL HD77. I think you'll like some of the features on the Bosch over the Skil, but this is the standard which others get judged by.
                    http://www.skiltools.com/en/AllTools...D77&cid=192162

4. Please go here and read this review of worm drive & hypoid saws.
                    http://www.toolsofthetrade.net/indus...ticleID=501442
                    Last edited by Woussko; 10-31-2007, 08:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mcsquared View Post
                      I just bought a makita 7-1/4" hypoid saw to replace my old Black & Decker that disappeared from my front porch one day. My Black and Deck always just barely cut the mustard for most framing jobs. So I was excited about buying a new fangled hypoid saw like I see all the pros using on the job site. I had visions of the saw doing all the work, cutting through everything with ease and getting me cold beverages. So I have used the saw on 2 projects- 1. New deck-cutting 5/4 and 1x pressure treated lumber and 2. Quick and dirty cabinets for the garage-ripping sheets of 5/8" plywood. On both projects the saw seemed to bog down quite often. Last night I was cutting the plywood and I would get about 6 inches into the material and the saw would just stop and the lights would dim. Same thing happened quite a bit when I was working on my deck. Last night, though I happened to have a buddys Skil 6-1/4" wormdrive in my garage so I tried it out for comparison. And it cut like butter.

Does my saw suck? Is it the blade? What am I doing wrong?
                      Simply put, YES!

Get the Skil or Bosch and you'll see the difference.
                      I've used that Makita and it sucks. I agree the blade makes a difference, but not enough to make the saw that worthless. I have the Bosch and even with a dull blade you can barely bog the it down in PT lumber. It's the same with my buddies 15 year old Skil - it cuts thru anything you throw at it.

Comment

but newman it should be alot better than that old b-d saw he had
                        9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

A Japanese pull saw is better than his old B&D...

Comment

Originally posted by Newman View Post
                            A Japanese pull saw is better than his old B&D...

now that's funny right there, let me tell you i do don't care who you are that there is funny
                            9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

is there oil in the gear box?
                              Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                              "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                              attributed to Samuel Johnson
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                              PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Working...
                              X