Chop saw suggestions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chop saw suggestions

What should I buy? I want the new miwaukee but it's not in my local home depot yet. How is the ridgid chop saw? I'm not crazy about ridgid but it's pretty hard to screw up such a basic tool

Re: Chop saw suggestions

get the ryobi.

you'll like the ridgid then i bet.....lol, really any of them are fairly decent
    9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Originally posted by l_bilyk View Post
      ........ I'm not crazy about ridgid but it's pretty hard to screw up such a basic tool
      Wanna bet? If you buy a Ridgid, Craftsman or a Ryobi you'll find out that yes you can.
      ================================================== ====
      ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
        Wanna bet? If you buy a Ridgid, Craftsman or a Ryobi you'll find out that yes you can.
        I have a 12" Ryobi and it frequently dissapoints me with crown moulding.
        Tear out and splintering is a big problem (even with new blades). I've been meaning to look up the blade speed and compare it to others, but haven't done it yet.

Another guy on the job had a 10" Dewalt with an old, abused blade and it performed better than mine.

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
          What brand do you suggest, Belly Dancer Dave?

Comment

I_bilyk

What is your budget limit and what is the largest capacity (90 and 45 and compound) it needs to have? I recommend looking at Bosch, Dewalt (basic models like the DW713) and Makita. I own and use an older Delta but they have changed alot since mine was made.

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
              What brand do you suggest, Belly Dancer Dave?
              Well, as soon as I can kill my POS Craftsman CMS I'll be replacing it with a Makita LS1013. However, the LS1013 is a slider so if I had to suggest a brand for a CMS then DeWalt would be my first choice. I would also recommend a 12" over a 10" as I can't tell you how many times I've been unable to use my 10" CMS when I wanted too because it lacked sufficient cutting capacity to do the job at hand.
              Last edited by BadgerDave; 10-31-2007, 06:29 PM.
              ================================================== ====
              ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Comment

ahhh dave that is a miter saw not a chop saw, chop saw have 14"fiber blades and only cut at 90 degees....

this is what i call a chop saw, or at least this is what i thought we were talking about
                Last edited by oldslowchevy; 10-31-2007, 06:47 PM.
                9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

O S C
                  You get a gold star for actually reading this thread. Sure, that's what he wants... Not a miter saw.

In this case I would try looking for a Milwaukee 6180-20 and leave their (Milwaukee 6176-20) lesser model on the shelf as they are POC next to this one.
                  http://www.milwaukeeconnect.com/weba..._192151_192137

Here is a pretty good price on it and especially with free shipping.
                  http://www.toolsforless.com/product/...ut_Off_Machine
                  Last edited by Woussko; 10-31-2007, 06:48 PM.

Comment

Are we talking about chop saws or miter saws?
                    There is a difference. A chop saw is a basic non-compound saw with an abrasive wheel that's used to cut metal. A miter saw is generally what we woodworkers use.
                    If you want a good reliable 10" miter saw, I would recommend you look at the Dewalt DW713 Single Bevel Miter Saw. I have one and it's held up beautifully after being dragged from job to job. Of all the 10" non sliders, I think it's the most accurate and well built I've seen, and for under $200 it's a no-brainer.
                    Unless of course you're talking about a metal chop saw.

Comment

Damn
                      you guys beat me to it...
                      guess I should type faster next time...

Comment

Chop saw. For metal.

I already have a miter saw... the bosch 5412L

I wanted the 6180-20 but none of the stores carry it in canada, eh. I don't like the 6176-20 because of the trigger handle, no keyless anything, and the base is too low. Not a huge fan of the makita either. Looking at the ridgid and dewalt right now. Ideally I want the new milwaukee, but it's not in stores yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Newman View Post
                          Are we talking about chop saws or miter saws?
                          There is a difference. A chop saw is a basic non-compound saw with an abrasive wheel that's used to cut metal. A miter saw is generally what we woodworkers use.
                          If you want a good reliable 10" miter saw, I would recommend you look at the Dewalt DW713 Single Bevel Miter Saw. I have one and it's held up beautifully after being dragged from job to job. Of all the 10" non sliders, I think it's the most accurate and well built I've seen, and for under $200 it's a no-brainer.
                          Unless of course you're talking about a metal chop saw.
                          As an aside, I agree with you. I like the DW713 so much I was looking at getting one just for small jobs when I don't want to drag the big bosch around.

Comment

Maybe you can find a Canadian based online dealer that has the Milwaukee and have it shipped. You might want to look at the Dewalt D28715 and the Bosch 3814.

If by some wild chance you want a real workhorse then contact a good industrial supply house or a place that sells metal working machinery and ask about one of these bad boys. The model selection will depend on your needs and the available electric power in your shop. I must warn you these aren't cheap but get one and you'll have it a nice loooooong time.
                            http://www.kalamazooindustries.com/abrasive_saws.asp

If you need to make miter cuts on metal products you might like one of this series.
                            http://www.kalamazooindustries.com/mitre_saws.asp
                            Last edited by Woussko; 10-31-2007, 08:15 PM.

Comment

I've had a Dewalt for umm a long time 12+ years I guess.Used it lots ,cut all kinds of angles too.Id hate to try to guess at how many abrasive blades have been in it.For me it was a great purchase and certainly owes me nothing.Still runs and looks like new mostly which is amazing for what its been thru.The base has some rust spots on it from water cutting stainless mixed with cold rolled the same day..I just give it a blast of air to clean it then sit it with the welder.Never forget saftey glasses with these things and always run a new blade a bit before actual use.
                              Sam

Comment

Working...
                              X