No announcement yet.

Ok to store sliding mitre saw sideways?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ok to store sliding mitre saw sideways?

I just picked up a sliding 10" mitre saw. It wasn't a Ridgid, but it was on sale and has a lifetime warranty so I think I got a deal.

Of course, having unpacked it, I really don't have anywhere to put it. It says that if I'm going to have it portable, I should bolt it to a piece of plywood. That's one option.

Then I saw the Ridgid mitre saw stand. They're giving them away free with a Ridgid compound (non-sliding) mitre saw at HD, or you can buy one for $200.

The diagram on it shows how to collapse it and wheel it around. In that position, the saw is completely sideways. I'm just wondering if this is bad for it, whether the arm holding it is meant to carry the weight of the saw sideways like that for extended periods of time. It would be nice to be able to collapse it and just prop it against the wall in the garage.

Is this ok? Should I be concerned?

Re: Ok to store sliding mitre saw sideways?

The one we have here is stored on its side and everything is still right on with it when we demo it.

josh

Comment

That's how I store mine.
      ================================================== ====
      ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
        That's how I store mine.

and you don't like yours
        9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Originally posted by oldslowchevy View Post
          and you don't like yours
          Interesting.

Badger, have you had problems with yours? If so, what sorts?

Comment

No problems at all as far as storage goes. I did however miss a key word in your original post, "sliding". I just have a conventional CMS mounted to my MSUV. Sorry about that. Sometimes I wish I'd never taken that Evelyn Wood speed reading course.
            ================================================== ====
            ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
              Evelyn Wood speed reading course.

lol i wish i could spell good so i could tease you about this
              9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

I have had my SCMS on my MSUV (old style) for over 5 years, and have transported it in the back of my truck, on a tow-behind trailer that has no shocks, and I store it vertically when not using it. No problem. However, to minimize the effect of any stress, I always slide the motor all the way back to the fence and lock the slide down. Of course, its a 15 year old Craftsman, so I don't know if these "new and improved" ones are of the same quality.

Go
                Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

I have the Ridgid 12" slider mounted on a MSUV. The way I store mine is lock the blade in the down position, lock the slider all the way forward, and set the angle on the table at 60 degrees, which would have the saw pointing down when MSUV is in the standup position. Haven't had any problems with storing like this. I like it like this so that in case one of the lockdowns came loose there would be no change since everything is pointing down.
                  Just my thoughts.

Terry

Comment

Working...
                  X